Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mantis Tiller Adjustment

We had a Mantis garden tiller which worked well for a number of years but it finally wore out this spring, when we bought a new one. It worked well for the spring tilling then rested in the garage for the summer. I wanted to do some tilling recently and it got tempermental. I spent several hours working on it over the last few weekends but it just won't work.

The status is that it will start on full choke after several presses on the fuel injector bubble thing. I let it run for a few minutes to get up to operating temperature but it shuts off when the choke is opened. If I try to accellerate with the choke closed, it also dies.

I've tried adjusting the carb screws in every possible way, the plug and fuel filter are good, and the muffler screen is clear. I drained the gas tank and re-filled with a new 2-cycle mix of the proper ratio. Any ideas on what else to try before I give up and take it to the shop?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some of these strange symptoms can happen if the gasket betwen the carb and
the engine dries, or leaks. I'm not familiar with your machine. But, some
small engines, I've had to take the carb off, put a little Permatex IIb non
hardening on the gasket, that helped.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel,

A million things spring to mind but Mantis has a one year warranty. I'm
sure they will be happy to adjust or fix this.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

If you left it with fuel in it, the fuel may have deteriorated, and plugged
something in the carb. Always run it completely dry before storage. I turn on
the choke as it runs out of fuel to suck out the last gasps of fuel, then hand
crank it several times with the choke on to be sure.

honda tiller stevie Home Repair 2 August 9th 06 02:31 AM
Pto tiller question PrecisionMachinisT Metalworking 13 July 18th 06 07:12 PM
best wood for tiller Renata Woodworking 22 July 17th 06 05:16 AM
1979 Lawn-Boy 2-cycle carb adjustment? Other mixture adjustment? John Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 12th 06 11:30 PM
1979 Lawn-Boy 2-cycle carb adjustment? Other mixture adjustment? Jeff Home Repair 1 May 12th 06 09:01 PM