Posted to alt.home.repair

Default honda tiller

I have a Honda roto-tiller, model fs100. it is about 6-7 years old and we
really haven't used it that much. it is a lightweight tiller that you can
lift up with one hand. we have just used it around the garden.

the engine is a 4-cycle and runs great. however, the drive mechanism has
apparently gone bad; the tines barely turn.

the dealer says that these Honda tillers did not have very strong gears.
apparently a common problem with these tillers. he quoted about $130 for
parts-labor would be additional.

I'm somewhat disappointed with Honda-they normally make really good
equipment. I hesitate to have the tiller repaired just to have the problem
reoccur.

has anyone had this problem, then had it repaired, only to have the tiller
fail again?

a friend has the same tiller and the same problem. Honda should recall
these.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

stevie wrote:
I have a Honda roto-tiller, , the drive mechanism has
apparently gone bad; the tines barely turn.

the dealer says that these Honda tillers did not have very strong gears.
apparently a common problem with these tillers. he quoted about $130 for
parts-labor would be additional.

You must always be on your guard when dealing with repair shops. Not
all of them are honest, unfortunaltly. How well do you know these
guys? is there another shope where you can get another opinion? If
you find a shop with a rep for honesty then you must take your machines
to them.

I have a Honda snowblower and it kicks ass! Occasionally though, i
have a problem similar to yours. There are four bolts called which are
intended to shear or break when the tines encounter an immovable
object. This happens several time each season and I always have bolts
in my pocket ready to go. Many machines have a similar protective
bolt which is usually callled a "shear pin". It possible that your
machine has them too. If you do a search on Google for "Honda tiller
parts" you will should be able to run down a blow up diagram of every
part, nut, and bolt on that machine.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:49:39 -0500, "stevie" wrote:

[...]

I have this tiller or the upgraded fs110 model and it has performed
well without any problems so far. I bought the Honda tiller over the
Mantis because I thought it was more sturdy. However I was
disappointed with a $650 Honda mower which only gave me 3 years of
service before falling apart.

I bought the Mantis WITH the Honda engine, so far it is a great combination.

Don