Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do you recommend for coating/selaing rocks on side of house?

On the outside of our Tuscan style home there is stonework that looks
like 'wainscoating'. The stones are varied in color and only extend up
around 3 feet or so with recessed mortaring.

Being multiple colored all variation is lost with sun and dust on
them. As I washed the walls to prep for painting, I discovered that
when these rocks are wet, they look a lot better. So the question WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?
Keep in mind here in Arizona the sun is merciless and the heat can
easily get surface temperatures above 140F and still does freeze
here.

My first thought was to use something like was used on the travertine
flooring, but that's interior. Need to be robust for exterior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:42:29 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

On the outside of our Tuscan style home there is stonework that looks
like 'wainscoating'. The stones are varied in color and only extend up
around 3 feet or so with recessed mortaring.

Being multiple colored all variation is lost with sun and dust on
them. As I washed the walls to prep for painting, I discovered that
when these rocks are wet, they look a lot better. So the question WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?
Keep in mind here in Arizona the sun is merciless and the heat can
easily get surface temperatures above 140F and still does freeze
here.

My first thought was to use something like was used on the travertine
flooring, but that's interior. Need to be robust for exterior.

Do nothing. I have faux brick about the same height on front of the
house in Nevada.

You could regret ever trying to seal the "rocks". Rocks are natural,
dirty or not.
Senior Member

If you want a "wet look", then you can accomplish that by adding any kind of clear coat over your rocks. The one I'd recommend is "Gloss Sealer & Finish" made by Tile Lab and available at Home Depot. Tile Lab also makes a similar product called "Matte Sealer & Finish" if you don't want the gloss.

The reason I'd recommend this one is because:

a) It's acrylic, and as such doesn't suffer from the problem common to all silicone based plastics; namely that they will stick well to common substrates, but nothing will stick well to them. So, if after 10 years, you want to add another coat of sealer to restore the look of your rock exterior, the new silicone based sealer won't stick well to the old silicone based sealer already on the rocks. By opting for am acrylic film forming grout sealer, you avoid that problem, and the new acrylic film forming grout sealer will stick to the old just as well as a new coat of top quality latex paint will stick to an old coat of top quality latex paint. (In my apartment block, I use a product simply called "Grout Sealer" made by the Glaze 'N Seal company of California. It's an excellent grout sealer, but it's much more difficult to remove. I need to use acetone to remove it. In your situation, I'd use the Gloss Sealer & Finish just because it's easy to apply more with a spray bottle or garden sprayer, but it's also much easier to remove using Tile Lab's Heavy Duty Cleaner & Stripper.)

b) Tile Lab makes an excellent stripper for this sealer. So, if it starts to chaulk on you and you regret having put it on to begin with, removing the stuff will be quick and easy. Just buy some "Heavy Duty Cleaner & Stripper", which is made specifically to strip off both "Matte Sealer & Finish" and "Gloss Sealer & Finish". Just spray some Heavy Duty Cleaner & Stripper onto your sealer with a spray bottle, give it 20 seconds to penetrate into the sealer, and then scrub with a green or white Scotchbrite scouring pad. (Of the kind sold in supermarkets for scrubbing pots.)

c) Acrylic plastic is almost completely transparent to UV light from the Sun. One of the problems initially encountered with water based exterior wood stains is that the wood would deteriorate under the acrylic film that housed UV blockers. Companies had to up the amount of UV blockers they added to exterior water based stains to account for the fact that the binder film itself wouldn't absorb any UV light. In this case, you don't have to worry about UV light harming your rocks; they're pretty much immune to UV light.

But, rocks are heavy and therefore have a lot of thermal inertia. So, early in the morning when the Sun comes up and warms up the day, the rocks on the shaded side of your house are gonna remain cold for the first few hours. During that time, condensation is going to form on those cold rocks, and you may have a mildew growth problem there as a result. You can kill the mildew by just spraying it with bleach (bleach won't harm acrylic plastic or rocks), but if you're not having that problem now, then I don't see why a coating of acrylic plastic over your rocks is going to cause that problem to start occuring.

I would use "Gloss Sealer & Finish" made by Tile Lab, and pick up some "Heavy Duty Cleaner & Stripper" just to experiment to prove to yourself that it removes that sealer quickly and easily.

PS: (You don't need to know the rest)

The reason why porous rough materials (like rocks, concrete, sand, wood, fabrics, etc.) all look darker when they're wet is because the refractive index of water (at 1.33) is closer to that of solids than that of air (which has a refractive index of about 1.00. So, when light travels through a wet t-shirt (for example), it bends less at each water/cotton interface than it would if it encountered an air/cotton interface. Consequently, light travels in a straightER path going through wet cotton then it would going through dry cotton. Consequently, it tends to penetrate deeper into the fabric where it is absorbed. By contrast, the larger angle that light refracts through while traveling through dry materials means that a greater percentage of the incident light is refracted enough times to bend it a full 180 degrees, and so more of the incident light hitting a dry material is refracted through 180 degrees and ends up going back out of the substrate. That difference in the amount of light seen emitted from the material when it's dry and when it's wet is the reason why porous materials look darker when they're wet.

And, now you also know exactly how a wet t-shirt contest works. Since light travels a straighter path through wet cotton, it behaves more like it would if the wet cotton weren't even there. So, what you see is more similar to what you'd see if the wet cotton weren't even there.

Last edited by nestork : November 13th 12 at 05:00 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On the outside of our Tuscan style home there is stonework that looks
like 'wainscoating'. The stones are varied in color and only extend up
around 3 feet or so with recessed mortaring.

Being multiple colored all variation is lost with sun and dust on
them. As I washed the walls to prep for painting, I discovered that
when these rocks are wet, they look a lot better. So the question WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?
Keep in mind here in Arizona the sun is merciless and the heat can
easily get surface temperatures above 140F and still does freeze
here.

My first thought was to use something like was used on the travertine
flooring, but that's interior. Need to be robust for exterior.

SealKrete is popular.

http://www.seal-krete.com/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

"Do nothing." I like the way you think. That's my preference, too.
But, after seeing what they look like wet vs the extremely drab washed
out look...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:09*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Maybe just ready for a change? *Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Thanks, I'm impressed with their other products, so will check into
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 10:33*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Nov 13, 6:09*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking of similar sealers. I used KureNSeal 30 on my
stamped concrete. It gives it a wet look and lasts 2- 3 years.
It's solvent based, you can't buy it in all states.
I have not been impressed with any of the water based
sealers.

http://www.concretesupplyhouse.com/c...FQ-f4Aod92MAbA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2012 6:42 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
On the outside of our Tuscan style home there is stonework that looks
like 'wainscoating'. The stones are varied in color and only extend up
around 3 feet or so with recessed mortaring.

Being multiple colored all variation is lost with sun and dust on
them. As I washed the walls to prep for painting, I discovered that
when these rocks are wet, they look a lot better. So the question WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?
Keep in mind here in Arizona the sun is merciless and the heat can
easily get surface temperatures above 140F and still does freeze
here.

My first thought was to use something like was used on the travertine
flooring, but that's interior. Need to be robust for exterior.

once you finish them, you'll have to redo it every 2-3 years, forever.
it also may be hard to get off or prep the surface for recoating. i'd
recommend not coating them, but perhaps a powerwash every so often instead.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 8:42*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?

I would get a sixer of decent beer, probably "Dogfishhead 90 Minute
IPA", and go golfing and see if it still bothered me enough when I got
home to **** with it instead of drinking more beer.

How long do you plan to live...?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 12:48*pm, chaniarts wrote:
[...]

I like the idea of leaving the stones alone. However, when wet; they
look incredible. As they dry, the look goes right back to that washed
out, nondescript color of nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 1:35*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Nov 12, 8:42*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?

I would get a sixer of decent beer, probably "Dogfishhead 90 Minute
IPA", and go golfing and see if it still bothered me enough when I got
home to **** with it instead of drinking more beer.

How long do you plan to live...?
*-----

- gpsman

*IF* we all live to 150; I'm barely middle aged!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:09*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

http://www.concretesupplyhouse.com/c.../-sonneborn---...

Thanks for the recommendation, and the URL. It looks like they ship to
Arizona.

Is this URL the lowest price, including shipping?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:33*am, Robert Macy wrote:

On Nov 13, 6:09*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Is this URL the lowest price, including shipping?- Hide quoted text -

I don't know current pricing and just did a quick google
to find the product for you. I think when I bought it a
couple years ago, I found it on sale for like $90. Howver,
that kind of price was a real find. The stuff is expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:09*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

I called them to find out that the product will last two years and can
be applied with 3/bin roller.

Home Depot's Wet Look is water based, lasts 1 year and is recommended
to be applied with a 'bug' sprayer.

ARRRRGGG! both roller and sprayer splatter like crazy and most of this
stone is over bare concrete. That'll be a challenge to apply without
contaminating everything else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:34*am, wrote:
...snip...
If this is "cultured stone" I would ask the manufacturer.
That is the advantage of real stone, it usually stays the same over
the years

Thanks, I ALWAYS forget to ask the manufacturer to find out what they
recommend. Or, the stone masons who put this stuff in for a living.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

On Nov 13, 6:09 am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

into it.- Hide quoted text -

-

I don't know current pricing and just did a quick google
to find the product for you. I think when I bought it a
couple years ago, I found it on sale for like $90. Howver,
that kind of price was a real find. The stuff is expensive.

I called them to find out that the product will last two years and can
be applied with 3/bin roller.

Home Depot's Wet Look is water based, lasts 1 year and is recommended
to be applied with a 'bug' sprayer.

ARRRRGGG! both roller and sprayer splatter like crazy and most of this
stone is over bare concrete. That'll be a challenge to apply without
contaminating everything else.

I don't know why a sprayer should splatter. Generally, people use one of
the 1-2 gallon pump up herbicide sprayers with the tip closed down to get a
mist.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 8:05*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
...snip...
I don't know why a sprayer should splatter. *Generally, people use one of
the 1-2 gallon pump up herbicide sprayers with the tip closed down to get a
mist.

Splatter, maybe not, but definitely some misting will float down onto
the raw concrete below the stones.

I bought the $20, 2.5gal herbicide sprayer [HD recommended either the
$10, 1 gal, or this one]

Will try it out and see how it goes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:09*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Two points with regard to The Concrete Suppliers compnay:
1. easy to get prompt 'personal' response to questions
2. honest compnay that gives CONSERVATIVE product lifetime estimates.
Two traits that make me wish them the best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 10:03*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Nov 15, 8:05*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

...snip...
I don't know why a sprayer should splatter. *Generally, people use one of
the 1-2 gallon pump up herbicide sprayers with the tip closed down to get a
mist.

Splatter, maybe not, but definitely some misting will float down onto
the raw concrete below the stones.

So? It;s like any painting prohject. You cover up what needs to be
covered up. I'd suggest you find out whether
any of the typical plastic tank sprayers are OK for
solvent based product, if you're planning on using one.
Otherwise, a brush works and that is what I'd use anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 8:07*am, "
wrote:
On Nov 16, 10:03*am, Robert Macy wrote:

On Nov 15, 8:05*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

...snip...
I don't know why a sprayer should splatter. *Generally, people use one of
the 1-2 gallon pump up herbicide sprayers with the tip closed down to get a
mist.

Splatter, maybe not, but definitely some misting will float down onto
the raw concrete below the stones.

So? *It;s like any painting prohject. *You cover up what needs to be
covered up. *I'd suggest you find out whether
any of the typical plastic tank sprayers are OK for
solvent based product, if you're planning on using one.
Otherwise, a brush works and that is what I'd use anyway.

For simplicity, I bought Behr 'Wet Look' at Home Depot along with the
expensive tank sprayer [approx $20]

Spray is a euphemism, more like stream of varying sizes. But the first
application using a bug sprayer was FAST! abeit messy. There was
probably as much liquid on the plastic drop sheets as got onto the
wall. First application was almost like spraying a sponge wall.

One area, an archway over the doorway, was too difficult to get at and
protect adjoining areas so I bit the bullet and used one of those
cheap, cheap 3inch wide brushes. The brush is so cheap it doesn't even
hold the liquid, but brushing and poking at the surface worked great.
I think with better looking results than the spraying.

To get rid of left over liquid, I applied 2nd coats in some areas
using the brush - that was fast [surface no longer so porous] and
produced less mess.

However after the cost for a 5 gal bucket, all the effort, and
especially cleaning up the sticky mess; I don't think it was worth it.
The sealed stones don't look that much different! Probably should
have gone with the spirit based product instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
gpsman wrote:

On Nov 12, 8:42*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?

I would get a sixer of decent beer, probably "Dogfishhead 90 Minute
IPA", and go golfing and see if it still bothered me enough when I got
home to **** with it instead of drinking more beer.

How long do you plan to live...?
-----

- gpsman

I don't golf and I rarely drink beer, but this answer is the best a.h.r.
reply to any question, ever.