Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

Default One side of the house is 70°, the other 55°

At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

"MM" wrote in message
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

move the house around a bit?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:51:52 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

move the house around a bit?

This is actually not as stupid as on first reading it might sound. I
can remember seeing pictures of at least one house that was mounted on
a turntable for this very purpose. However, my house is not on any
turntable, as I suspect is the case with nearly all houses in Britain.

Any other bright ideas?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

move the house around a bit?

This is actually not as stupid as on first reading it might sound. I
can remember seeing pictures of at least one house that was mounted on
a turntable for this very purpose. However, my house is not on any
turntable, as I suspect is the case with nearly all houses in Britain.

Any other bright ideas?

MM

Move into the kitchen. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

Is the temperature difference just because of the sun
falling on one side only, or are there more draughts
on the "cold" side? I was in a house where the north
aspect had bay windows, with a sloping roof over - a
massive amount draughts whizzed through into the space
above the bay/below the overhanging roof, and it was
*chilly* there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:06:06 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

MM wrote:
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

Is the temperature difference just because of the sun
falling on one side only, or are there more draughts
on the "cold" side? I was in a house where the north
aspect had bay windows, with a sloping roof over - a
massive amount draughts whizzed through into the space
above the bay/below the overhanging roof, and it was
*chilly* there.

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well
insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the
back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third
bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the
front of the house.

The government keep banging on about conserving energy and I feel it
is such a waste to let all that heat from the sun go to waste. I am
not about to put my computers in the kitchen, though!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

move the house around a bit?

This is actually not as stupid as on first reading it might sound. I
can remember seeing pictures of at least one house that was mounted on
a turntable for this very purpose. However, my house is not on any
turntable, as I suspect is the case with nearly all houses in Britain.

Any other bright ideas?

MM

Move into the kitchen. ;-)

Three computers, a printer, two scanners, a modem etc etc? In the
kitchen? I think not!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

A few more computers on 24x7 should do the job nicely!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"MM" wrote in message
Three computers, a printer, two scanners, a modem etc etc? In the
kitchen? I think not!

I'm surprised that the computer room is not warmer than the kitchen.
However, all you really need to move is the screen, keyboard and mouse. They
can be connected by a long KVM cable or, as I do with my office, to avoid
the heating effect and noise, Cat5 cable connecting KVM transmitters and
receivers.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R obbo

wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmmmmmm

Modem..........How quaint !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
MM wrote:
snip

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well
insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the
back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third
bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the
front of the house.

If it's well insulated it shouldn't take long for a few computers to
warm it up :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
Three computers, a printer, two scanners, a modem etc etc? In the
kitchen? I think not!

I'm surprised that the computer room is not warmer than the kitchen.
However, all you really need to move is the screen, keyboard and mouse. They
can be connected by a long KVM cable or, as I do with my office, to avoid
the heating effect and noise, Cat5 cable connecting KVM transmitters and
receivers.

Not too convenient if you want to swap disks in the optical drive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

R obbo formulated on Wednesday :
"MM" wrote in message

Three computers, a printer, two scanners, a modem etc etc? In the
kitchen? I think not!

Hmmmmmmm

Modem..........How quaint !

Even DSL uses a modem!

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

MM presented the following explanation :
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

MM

You would need something like a heat pump or....

A couple of large radiator plumbed back to back, one in each room with
a small pump to circulate the water. With so little difference in
temperature, I doubt this would be that effective.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

They are not all on at once. One - this one - is enough to take the
chill off after an hour or two, but in this cold weather I also switch
a fan heater on low. Meanwhile, the rear of the house is as warm as
toast. It means I do far too much reading the newspaper in the warm!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:55:16 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
MM wrote:
snip

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well
insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the
back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third
bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the
front of the house.

If it's well insulated it shouldn't take long for a few computers to
warm it up :-)

Do you know how cold it gets in the Fens with the wind blowing
straight in off The Wash from Russia! No trees, you see.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
MM wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:55:16 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
MM wrote:
snip

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well
insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the
back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third
bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the
front of the house.

If it's well insulated it shouldn't take long for a few computers to
warm it up :-)

Do you know how cold it gets in the Fens with the wind blowing
straight in off The Wash from Russia! No trees, you see.

Build a huge reflective wall on that side of the house, that will block
the wind and reflect the sunshine. It should retract into the ground so
you can still admire the view. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 497955 20060208 144902 MM wrote:
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

MM

how about a fan, a big funnel and some 10 cm hose ... ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , MM
writes
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:51:52 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

move the house around a bit?

This is actually not as stupid as on first reading it might sound. I
can remember seeing pictures of at least one house that was mounted on
a turntable for this very purpose. However, my house is not on any
turntable, as I suspect is the case with nearly all houses in Britain.

Any other bright ideas?

Yeah - use a cup heater

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield explained on 08/02/2006 :
MM presented the following explanation :
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

MM

You would need something like a heat pump or....

A couple of large radiator plumbed back to back, one in each room with a
small pump to circulate the water. With so little difference in temperature,
I doubt this would be that effective.

Heat wheel?

Large lump of energy absorbing material, with lots of surface area
partially in each room. Blow air across it in each room and slowly
rotate it. Heat and cool will be equalised over the two rooms.

Another way (not desirable in a kitchen) would be a fan blowing air
from the warm kitchen into the other room.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

MM

things like that cost a lot and deliver only so much. Far more logical
is air movement within the house. Costs very little. A low speed 4' fan
is only 20 notes these days.

Then add some of these:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experime...fPart1/S88.htm

I've used them, and they work well. The only gotcha is keep them and
their mountings off any wooden cill, or it'll rot.

In fact I used glass mirrors, the ali they suggest creates a lot of
glare. But you can get a quick impression of how much extra you can
capture with just a piece of cardboard and tinfoil - just bear in mind
the glare that creates doesnt happen with glass. Note the reflective
coating needs extra protection for outdoor use. I expect car underseal
would be an excellant choice.

NT

PS when I first saw this, I was imagining a building with walls at
55/70 deg... and wondering how it could still be standing

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

MM wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:55:16 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
MM wrote:
snip

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well
insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the
back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third
bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the
front of the house.

If it's well insulated it shouldn't take long for a few computers to
warm it up :-)

Do you know how cold it gets in the Fens with the wind blowing
straight in off The Wash from Russia! No trees, you see.

MM

Just turn on the central heating pump without any heat supply. That
will either carry the kitchen heat round the whole house or carry the
coolth into the kitchen. Whichever.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Richard Conway wrote:
A few more computers on 24x7 should do the job nicely!

Depends on the computers. Mine run cool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"MM" wrote in message
Three computers, a printer, two scanners, a modem etc etc? In the
kitchen? I think not!

I'm surprised that the computer room is not warmer than the kitchen.
However, all you really need to move is the screen, keyboard and mouse.
They
can be connected by a long KVM cable or, as I do with my office, to avoid
the heating effect and noise, Cat5 cable connecting KVM transmitters and
receivers.

Not too convenient if you want to swap disks in the optical drive.

If you really want to do that, you can get external USB drives. I fitted one
for the office, but we never use it. It is simpler to use the local monitor
and keyboard in the rack on the rare occasions we need to use an optical
drive.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:56:27 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

move the house around a bit?

This is actually not as stupid as on first reading it might sound. I
can remember seeing pictures of at least one house that was mounted on
a turntable for this very purpose. However, my house is not on any
turntable, as I suspect is the case with nearly all houses in Britain.

Any other bright ideas?

Yeah - use a cup heater

I don't want to heat cups, I want to heat me.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:48:58 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
MM wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:55:16 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
MM wrote:
snip

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well
insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the
back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third
bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the
front of the house.

If it's well insulated it shouldn't take long for a few computers to
warm it up :-)

Do you know how cold it gets in the Fens with the wind blowing
straight in off The Wash from Russia! No trees, you see.

Build a huge reflective wall on that side of the house, that will block
the wind and reflect the sunshine. It should retract into the ground so
you can still admire the view. :-)

Now that is a darned good idea! I had thought of commissioning a
satellite mirror, but this is far better. And probably available from
B&Q.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:12:47 +0000, john2 wrote:

MM wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:55:16 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
MM wrote:
snip

It is just the angle of the house. It is almost new and very well
insulated. But the front of the house gets little sun, whereas the
back, kitchen side, gets the sun all day in summer. However, my third
bedroom is ideal for use as a computer room but it is located at the
front of the house.

If it's well insulated it shouldn't take long for a few computers to
warm it up :-)

Do you know how cold it gets in the Fens with the wind blowing
straight in off The Wash from Russia! No trees, you see.

MM

Just turn on the central heating pump without any heat supply. That
will either carry the kitchen heat round the whole house or carry the
coolth into the kitchen. Whichever.

Eh? How will the pump do this? The air is heated in the kitchen by
dint of the sunlight flooding in. How is the central heating involved?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:41:02 GMT, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:

Another way (not desirable in a kitchen) would be a fan blowing air
from the warm kitchen into the other room.

Ah, now this is an idea I also had myself. But then I thought, we use
fans in summer to cool us down, so why wouldn't this cooling effect be
stronger than any warming effect? But yes, if I could transfer the
sunlight-heated air from that side of the house to this, I'd be
laughing. Perhaps I will experiment with some ducting and a fan heater
on one end with the heating element turned off.

Where can one buy ducting?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:58:32 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

in 497955 20060208 144902 MM wrote:
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

MM

how about a fan, a big funnel and some 10 cm hose ... ;-)

Yep, I think we getting closer to a breakthrough here. Dunno whether a
funnel would be needed. If the air is sucked out of the kitchen and
blown into another room, that should work without a funnel.

I'm getting quite excited now. And even that is having a warming
effect. Oi, Martha! Open the window! It's like a ruddy oven in here!

Only kidding. It's hovering around 60° this morning.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On 8 Feb 2006 14:03:10 -0800, wrote:

MM wrote:
At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
the go) is 70°.

But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
temperature is only just above 55°.

How might I shift some of the heat from one side to the other? What
about light pipes?

MM

things like that cost a lot and deliver only so much. Far more logical
is air movement within the house. Costs very little. A low speed 4' fan
is only 20 notes these days.

Then add some of these:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experime...fPart1/S88.htm

I'm all for solar panels in, say, the roof, but these particular
panels look ugly, leaning up against the sills like that. However, the
site in question looks interesting, so I'll have a closer look.

I've used them, and they work well. The only gotcha is keep them and
their mountings off any wooden cill, or it'll rot.

In fact I used glass mirrors, the ali they suggest creates a lot of
glare. But you can get a quick impression of how much extra you can
capture with just a piece of cardboard and tinfoil - just bear in mind
the glare that creates doesnt happen with glass. Note the reflective
coating needs extra protection for outdoor use. I expect car underseal
would be an excellant choice.

NT

PS when I first saw this, I was imagining a building with walls at
55/70 deg... and wondering how it could still be standing

Don't understand your last comment?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:49:02 +0000, MM wrote:

|At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
|beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
|the go) is 70?.

Put TRVs on all your radiators, so that as soon as solar heating kicks in
the radiators in that room shut down.

Open all doors to allow air to circulate.

|But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
|temperature is only just above 55?.

Improve the insulation of the house, particularly the walls, so that the
internal skin of the walls acts as a storage heater. No part of my house
falls to 55 deg F at night.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:56:27 GMT, raden wrote:

Any other bright ideas?

Yeah - use a cup heater

I was thinking of getting a cup heater - they any good?

--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

So what do you have between your computer and the phone line or cable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:55:16 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
MM wrote:
snip

[...]

The warmth in the kitchen will warm the water in the system just like
the boiler does. I doubt it will do it to any great effect, however.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

wrote:

[...]

Don't they use heat from the sun in really eco-friendly home - having
a bank of conservatories along the south side and opening doors to -
in theory - pull in the heat to other bits of the house?

http://www.hockerton.demon.co.uk/vir...timageset.html
see passive solar collector pics...

--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:31:46 +0000, mogga
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:56:27 GMT, raden wrote:

Any other bright ideas?

Yeah - use a cup heater

I was thinking of getting a cup heater - they any good?

For heating cups, they're brilliant. Not so good with rooms.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:27:15 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:49:02 +0000, MM wrote:

|At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
|beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
|the go) is 70?.

Put TRVs on all your radiators, so that as soon as solar heating kicks in
the radiators in that room shut down.

Open all doors to allow air to circulate.

|But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
|temperature is only just above 55?.

Improve the insulation of the house, particularly the walls, so that the
internal skin of the walls acts as a storage heater. No part of my house
falls to 55 deg F at night.

Huh, I bet it does if the central heating is permanently off! (I don't
like central heating and rarely switch it on.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:49:02 +0000, MM wrote:
|
||At last the sun is now out and warming the kitchen side of the house
||beautifully. The temperature in the kitchen (without any cooking on
||the go) is 70?.
|
|Put TRVs on all your radiators, so that as soon as solar heating kicks in
|the radiators in that room shut down.
|
|Open all doors to allow air to circulate.
|
||But on the other side of the house, where my computer room is, the
||temperature is only just above 55?.
|
|Improve the insulation of the house, particularly the walls, so that the
|internal skin of the walls acts as a storage heater. No part of my house
|falls to 55 deg F at night.
|
|Huh, I bet it does if the central heating is permanently off! (I don't
|like central heating and rarely switch it on.)

Great if you have top notch insulation.

For walls with insulated cavities, the internal skin gets to get to
slightly less than the average internal temperature of the house, and any
internal walls get to roughly the average temperature of the house. These
walls then conduct/convect heat to the air, when the temperature is less
than the average. So you store the average solar gain which the house
achieves, plus the average gain from people, cooking, fridges, computers
and the like.