Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default What do you recommend for coating/selaing rocks on side of house?

On Nov 13, 12:48*pm, chaniarts wrote:
On 11/12/2012 6:42 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

On the outside of our Tuscan style home there is stonework that looks
like 'wainscoating'. The stones are varied in color and only extend up
around 3 feet or so with recessed mortaring.

Being multiple colored all variation is lost with sun and dust on
them. As I washed the walls to prep for painting, I discovered that
when these rocks are wet, they look a lot better. So the question WHAT
is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet?
Keep in mind here in Arizona the sun is merciless and the heat can
easily get surface temperatures above 140F *and still does freeze
here.

My first thought was to use something like was used on the travertine
flooring, but that's interior. Need to be robust for exterior.

once you finish them, you'll have to redo it every 2-3 years, forever.
it also may be hard to get off or prep the surface for recoating. i'd
recommend not coating them, but perhaps a powerwash every so often instead.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

I like the idea of leaving the stones alone. However, when wet; they
look incredible. As they dry, the look goes right back to that washed
out, nondescript color of nothing.