Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing sink hot water shut off valve

Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off valve and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or WD40?

Normally I would cut the pipe and install new nut, etc. Long story, but the pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old built-in vanity cabinets - big project to move. Can reach the nut & valve with wrenches but not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing out the cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is what you use to remove the nut:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...-20remover.jpg

but I don’t trust compression nuts, especially when the end of the pipe gets messed-up trying to remove it so when I do remove them this is what I solder on to the end of the pipe:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...1b1d44_300.jpg

You will be glad you did especially if you have expensive hardwood floors and take long vacations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred "Fred" Fred wrote:
Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off
valve and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal
corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or
WD40?

Normally I would cut the pipe and install new nut, etc. Long story,
but the pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old
built-in vanity cabinets - big project to move. Can reach the nut &
valve with wrenches but not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing
out the cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Heat? Use a heat shield/any metal & wet rags to help control flames/heat.

Hate to say bang on the nut, cause doing that may break the line. However,
when working on hydraulic lines, a couple of good whacks right on the nut
breaks it free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had some results with Castle Thrust has worked in some situations.
http://www.amazon.com/Castle-C-2005-...enetrating+oil

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Thrust-...sim_sbs_misc_1

Like the time I was trying to free up a headlight
adjuster. I'd tried several sprays and lubes. Castle
worked, very nicely. Mine found at Nu Way
Automotive.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Fred "Fred" Fred" wrote in message
Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off valve
and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal corrosion. Would
anything work better than std penetrating oil or WD40?

Normally I would cut the pipe and install new nut, etc. Long story, but the
pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old built-in vanity
cabinets - big project to move. Can reach the nut & valve with wrenches but
not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing out the cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:34:34 -0800, "Fred \"Fred\" Fred"
wrote:

Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off valve and salvage the nut.
Can't budge the nut and has bimetal corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or WD40?

Use penetrating oil and vibration. Wet the nut and tap it with a
wrench so the fluid enters the threads. Allow it to set overnight,
wet it again. Why is saving the nut so important?

A nut splitter will break the nut so you can get it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred "Fred" Fred wrote:
Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off
valve and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal
corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or
WD40?

Normally I would cut the pipe and install new nut, etc. Long story,
but the pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old
built-in vanity cabinets - big project to move. Can reach the nut &
valve with wrenches but not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing
out the cabinet.

PB Penetrating Catalyst, in the yellow spray can at your auto parts shop.

A twenty-year supply costs about $3.00. The can will never go empty because
you don't use much.

Honest-to-God, it's good stuff !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:32:32 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

PB Penetrating Catalyst, in the yellow spray can at your auto parts shop.

A twenty-year supply costs about $3.00. The can will never go empty because
you don't use much.

Honest-to-God, it's good stuff !

I have a small can of Liquid Wrench (like the old 3-N-1 oil can) that
is about 25 years old. A few week ago I used it to remove lugs from
my 4X4 wheel hub.

Soaked 'em and knocked them out with an air-hammer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/08/2012 07:34 AM, Fred "Fred" Fred wrote:
Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off
valve and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal
corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or
WD40?

Oh god, it's happening.

Jon -- running towards the bunker with reckless abandon, every man for
himself, leaving the room frozen in time, exactly as it was before my
hasty departure, as the sound of a well-practiced sequence of no less
than one-half dozen commercial-quality deadbolt locks can be heard
engaging structural steel jamb risers from a military-grade reinforced
door.

In the distance, a solitary hand can be seen slowly reaching for a
half-empty can of WD-40, unaware of the sequence of events it has
brought into motion, the consequences of which will be felt for
generations to come.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For millions of Alt Home Repair readers, they are
blissfully unaware of the ripple that has been
caused in space. None will even hint of dream of
the universal calamity which has befallen, another
dimension of time, space, and lubrication. Because
those half dozen deadbolts were earlier sprayed
with a substance that has been known to shift the
time space continuum.

Rod Serling
Twilight Zone
..

"Jon Danniken"
wrote in message ...

corrosion. Would anything work better
than std penetrating oil or
WD40?

Oh god, it's happening.

Jon -- running towards the bunker with reckless abandon, every man for
himself, leaving the room frozen in time, exactly as it was before my
hasty departure, as the sound of a well-practiced sequence of no less
than one-half dozen commercial-quality deadbolt locks can be heard
engaging structural steel jamb risers from a military-grade reinforced
door.

In the distance, a solitary hand can be seen slowly reaching for a
half-empty can of WD-40, unaware of the sequence of events it has
brought into motion, the consequences of which will be felt for
generations to come.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off valve and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or WD40?

I love wd-40 but I wouldn't use it were penetrating oil is called for.
Liquid Wrench or something else.

Normally I would cut the pipe and install new nut, etc. Long story, but the pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old built-in vanity cabinets - big project to move. Can reach the nut & valve with wrenches but not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing out the cabinet.

The puller the firstr reply referred to is a gear puller, or (splined)
handle puller. A nut has to be unscrewed or cracked. It can't just be
pulled off.

Thanks in advance!

Fred