Default leaky water shut-off valve

I turn water off to my sprinker system every fall from the basement.
The valve is a handle type that turns 90 degrees to turn water on or
off. I now have a slow leak when I shut down the system.

Is there a way to repair the shut-off valve or must I cut it out and
replace it?

No

Your know - Its a bit frustrating when we post good information like
this and never hear a peep from the orignial poster. How about a
"Thanks - you samed me a lot of headache because this was such a simple
fix!" Or even an "no, its not the packing, it keaks out the supply
side, I guess I'll have to replace the valve thanks though"

Oh well. I contribute here because I also get something back from time
to time. Just last week I looked up a post I did for somone else to
pull up some URLs I had researched for somone, it was time I needed my
own past research! anyway... Keep up the good work.