Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Cedar" plank siding

Presently have cedar siding on my home. Planks about 4" wide and 8'
long, tongue and groove, vertical orientation, stained a brown color.
Time for a repaint or replacement and wondering if anyone has had a good
experience with a similar composite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pointer" wrote in message

Presently have cedar siding on my home. Planks about 4" wide and 8' long,
tongue and groove, vertical orientation, stained a brown color. Time for a
repaint or replacement and wondering if anyone has had a good experience
with a similar composite.

Here is vertical T&G cedar siding, standard width (a touch under 4").
This lets the householder replace for himself any split or damaged
boards (requiring however removal of the inside groove tongue on
the last board of any repair: OK when fastened by ringed nails.)
The exterior is stained (not painted) with a pigmented stain, every
four to seven years depending on wear, applied by hand and brush.
(This is best done in hot weather, alleviated by a pool on the property.)
Pigmented stain also enables replacement by pine rather than cedar
boards if necessary.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pointer" wrote in message
Presently have cedar siding on my home. Planks about 4" wide and 8'
long, tongue and groove, vertical orientation, stained a brown color.
Time for a repaint or replacement and wondering if anyone has had a good
experience with a similar composite.

I'd go with a solid acrylic stain, instead of paint. My place is wood, not
cedar, but have used stain instead of paint. Very pleased with the results.
BTW, used Benjamin Moore stain.