Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newbie electrical circuit load Q

Hi all

I have a Cadet style heater that is 1000 watts. It lives on a dedicated 15 amp 220V circuit.

I want to install a second heater that is 750 watts. Ideally it would share the same circuit, as physically it would located about 10' from the first heater, and at the opposite end of the house from the panel.

I can't recall the calculations for load on a circuit. Would 1750 watts possible peak be too much for this circuit?

Tnx for tips
Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

Provided that the wire gauges are all up to code, you should be ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gwandsh" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a Cadet style heater that is 1000 watts. It lives on a dedicated
15 amp 220V circuit.

I want to install a second heater that is 750 watts. Ideally it would
share the same circuit, as physically it would located about 10' from the
first heater, and at the opposite end of the house from the panel.

I can't recall the calculations for load on a circuit. Would 1750 watts
possible peak be too much for this circuit?

Tnx for tips
Gary

The wattage is simply the volts times the current in simple resistive loads.
That would be 220 times 15 for 3300 watts total. As you only have a load of
1750 you should be fine.

Working backwards, 1700 watts deviced by 220 volts is about 8 amps, so
again you should be fine. You have almost twice the capacity you need in
the circuit. Also most voltages are 240 now, but that would not make much
differance in your case as you have plenty of capacity to spare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 5, 2012 12:13:20 PM UTC-8, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"gwandsh" wrote in message

The wattage is simply the volts times the current in simple resistive loads.

That would be 220 times 15 for 3300 watts total. As you only have a load of

1750 you should be fine.

Working backwards, 1700 watts deviced by 220 volts is about 8 amps, so

again you should be fine. You have almost twice the capacity you need in

the circuit. Also most voltages are 240 now, but that would not make much

differance in your case as you have plenty of capacity to spare.

Thanks. I believe it is wired with 12ga, will have to check. When I did the original wiring I did this same research, you'd think it might have stuck..

Then again, I had not anticipated putting a second heater on the circuit at that time.

Can I assume 12ga would be ample for this need?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 11:24:36 -0800 (PST), gwandsh
wrote:

Hi all

I have a Cadet style heater that is 1000 watts. It lives on a dedicated 15 amp 220V circuit.

I want to install a second heater that is 750 watts. Ideally it would share the same circuit, as physically it would located about 10' from the first heater, and at the opposite end of the house from the panel.

I can't recall the calculations for load on a circuit. Would 1750 watts possible peak be too much for this circuit?

Tnx for tips
Gary

1750 watts on 220 is just under 10 amps. You are allowed 80% of
breaker rating for full load - so .8X15=12 amps. You are good to go.

The formula is watts=V*A for a resistive load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gwandsh" wrote in message

The wattage is simply the volts times the current in simple resistive loads.

That would be 220 times 15 for 3300 watts total. As you only have a load of

1750 you should be fine.

Working backwards, 1700 watts deviced by 220 volts is about 8 amps, so

again you should be fine. You have almost twice the capacity you need in

the circuit. Also most voltages are 240 now, but that would not make much

differance in your case as you have plenty of capacity to spare.

Thanks. I believe it is wired with 12ga, will have to check. When I did the original wiring I did this same research, you'd think it might have stuck..

Then again, I had not anticipated putting a second heater on the circuit at that time.

Can I assume 12ga would be ample for this need?

Unless you are running 100 feet of the stuff, 14 ga copper is
adequate. 12 ga if it is aluminum
Posted to alt.home.repair

Amps x volts = watts.

Now you can calculate the watts that the circuit will bear.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gwandsh" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a Cadet style heater that is 1000 watts. It lives on a dedicated 15
amp 220V circuit.

I want to install a second heater that is 750 watts. Ideally it would share
the same circuit, as physically it would located about 10' from the first
heater, and at the opposite end of the house from the panel.

I can't recall the calculations for load on a circuit. Would 1750 watts
possible peak be too much for this circuit?

Tnx for tips
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2012 4:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Amps x volts = watts.

Now you can calculate the watts that the circuit will bear.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

How many amps in a volt?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Amps and volts are different things. So, zero.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Anita Dick" wrote in message
eb.com...

How many amps in a volt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My bad, It is a 240V circuit, don't know what possessed me to write 220.

The length of the physical wire is less than 50 feet, so I will confirm it is 12ga and branch off the existing circuit to power the second heater.

Thanks much to all for the tips and advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2012 04:40 PM, Anita Dick wrote:
On 11/5/2012 4:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Amps x volts = watts.

Now you can calculate the watts that the circuit will bear.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

How many amps in a volt?

It's the same as the number of peaches in a potato :-).

--
48 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

"Christianity peoples the earth with demons, hell with men, and heaven
with slaves." -- Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:56:32 -0800 (PST), gwandsh
wrote:

So for the final update... I checked the wiring, and for some reason I used 14ga. arg.

Circuit is 240 15amp.

The run from the breaker box to Heater #1 (1000 watts) is about 25 feet.
The run from Heater #1 to Heater #2 (750 watts) is about 15 feet. I would pony off this circuit and use 14 ga wire again.

So that is a total of 1750 watts on the circuit, using 14ga wire.

I just want to ensure there are no safety risks in adding this second heater to the circuit, now knowing that the wire is a smaller gauge than I originally thought.

Thanks all

#14 is good for 15 amp circuit - derate 20% for full constant load -
you are good for 12 amps - and you only have about 7.3 amps load on
the circuit. You are good to go.

As was posted earlier, 14ga is OK on a 14a breaker.

As long as you stay under 2800 watts you will be OK