Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newbie electrical circuit load Q

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 11:24:36 -0800 (PST), gwandsh
wrote:

Hi all

I have a Cadet style heater that is 1000 watts. It lives on a dedicated 15 amp 220V circuit.

I want to install a second heater that is 750 watts. Ideally it would share the same circuit, as physically it would located about 10' from the first heater, and at the opposite end of the house from the panel.

I can't recall the calculations for load on a circuit. Would 1750 watts possible peak be too much for this circuit?

Tnx for tips
Gary

1750 watts on 220 is just under 10 amps. You are allowed 80% of
breaker rating for full load - so .8X15=12 amps. You are good to go.

The formula is watts=V*A for a resistive load.