Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mold On Roof Shingles ?

Hello,

Have noticed a fair amount of greenish Mold (or Moss ?) on shingles in
some areas of my roof.

Live in New England; gets quite cold up here during the winter.

- Is it harmful for the Shingles ?
(my primary question and concern)

- Will the cold temp. kill the stuff over the winter ?

- Will it rejuvenate itself in the Spring ?
Or, just new patches in other areas likely ?

What causes ?

If it is really necessary to treat before the winter sets in, and I can
get up there to spray it with something, what's good to use that
won't harm the Shingles ?

Would prefer, I think, a commercial product rather than mixing something
up myself.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Have noticed a fair amount of greenish Mold (or Moss ?) on shingles in
some areas of my roof.

Live in New England; gets quite cold up here during the winter.

- Is it harmful for the Shingles ?
(my primary question and concern)

- Will the cold temp. kill the stuff over the winter ?

- Will it rejuvenate itself in the Spring ?
Or, just new patches in other areas likely ?

What causes ?

If it is really necessary to treat before the winter sets in, and I can
get up there to spray it with something, what's good to use that
won't harm the Shingles ?

Would prefer, I think, a commercial product rather than mixing something
up myself.

Thanks,
Bob

A friend of mine used to live in Vero Beach, Fla. He made a killing going
around spraying bleach and water on roofs to keep down the mold. Quite an
enterprising young man, actually. Low overhead. Good pay (cash). Steady
customer list, plus referrals.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 17:39:46 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have noticed a fair amount of greenish Mold (or Moss ?) on shingles in
some areas of my roof.

Live in New England; gets quite cold up here during the winter.

- Is it harmful for the Shingles ?
(my primary question and concern)

- Will the cold temp. kill the stuff over the winter ?

- Will it rejuvenate itself in the Spring ?
Or, just new patches in other areas likely ?

What causes ?

If it is really necessary to treat before the winter sets in, and I can
get up there to spray it with something, what's good to use that
won't harm the Shingles ?

Would prefer, I think, a commercial product rather than mixing something
up myself.

Thanks,
Bob

It's MOSS. Put some zinc sheet neer the top of the roof - the zinc
ions work pretty well at killing moss. So does copper sulphate
solution. Lots of commercial preps too - but most tend to stain
anything they touch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 9:22*pm, wrote:
[...]

Once you begin to see that green stuff on your roof, that's an indicator
it's time for a new roof. *Replace it before winter or you will have
leaks.- Hide quoted text -

Why do you say that moss is an indicator ofa failing roof?

Senior Member

If it's green, then it uses photosynthesis to produce the energy it needs to survive, thrive and multiply.

Zinc, copper, arsenic and boron are all natural biocides, but some are more poisonous to some kinds of life than others.

For example, the boron in borates is highly effective in killing a wide range of fungii. Borate treated liquids and borate rods are used to protect wood from fungii, like Serpula Lacrymans, otherwise known as the wood rot fungus, but is safe to mammals. Borates are even used as food additives in some countries.

I'm also guessing that this moss, and it's growing on the dead leaves that are rotting to form soil on your roof.

If it wuz me, I'd phone any roofing company to see if it's even advisable to remove or kill that moss. By removing the moss, you're exposing the underlying shingles to the Sun, and it's the UV light from the Sun that causes the asphalt the shingles are made of to disintegrate, thereby causing the granules set in that asphalt to come off the shingle and exposing the underlying asphalt to more UV light.

As long as that moss is covering the shingles in some areas, then the shingles in those areas are protected from UV light. It may be better for you to leave that moss alone.

Last edited by nestork : November 4th 12 at 07:14 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Once you begin to see that green stuff on your roof, that's an indicator
it's time for a new roof. *Replace it before winter or you will have
leaks.

up till a number of years ago no roof around pittsburgh had that wierd
discoloration, now every roof does that faces north. something big
must of changed.

if you believe every roof needs replaced the shingle companies will be
thrilled, at least around western pa its every home except those with
metal roofs

theres a company that advertises they clean roofs, i dont know what
they use but was told not to use bleach

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

.

up till a number of years ago no roof around pittsburgh had that wierd
discoloration, now every roof does that faces north. something big
must of changed.

It did. The makeup of the shingles changed. I think it was copper, but
could have been something else that was added to the shingles to keep the
moss and mold down. In order to make them cheaper , that was left out of
the shingles, or greatly reduced.

I have seen it mentioned that if you take a copper wire and weave it in the
shingles about every 4 or 5 rows, it will help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-04-2012 09:35, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I have seen it mentioned that if you take a copper wire and weave it in the
shingles about every 4 or 5 rows, it will help.

I'm pretty sure zinc will work but not copper.

--
Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 2:02*pm, gregz wrote:
bob haller wrote:
Once you begin to see that green stuff on your roof, that's an indicator
it's time for a new roof. *Replace it before winter or you will have
leaks.

up till a number of years ago no roof around pittsburgh had that wierd
discoloration, now every roof does that faces north. something big
must of changed.

if you believe every roof needs replaced the shingle companies will be
thrilled, at least around western pa its every home except those with
metal roofs

theres a company that advertises they clean roofs, i dont know what
they use but was told not to use bleach

My garage keeps getting blacker. The green moss that built up on my two
sheds, lifting the shingles, gets to a half inch thick. Those are both
under trees with complete shading.

Greg

Greg?

Where do you live, I've never seen moss on a roof that thick, only on
the north side of trees in a deep forest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 20:02:03 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

bob haller wrote:
Once you begin to see that green stuff on your roof, that's an indicator
it's time for a new roof. Replace it before winter or you will have
leaks.

up till a number of years ago no roof around pittsburgh had that wierd
discoloration, now every roof does that faces north. something big
must of changed.

if you believe every roof needs replaced the shingle companies will be
thrilled, at least around western pa its every home except those with
metal roofs

theres a company that advertises they clean roofs, i dont know what
they use but was told not to use bleach

My garage keeps getting blacker. The green moss that built up on my two
sheds, lifting the shingles, gets to a half inch thick. Those are both
under trees with complete shading.

Greg

Undisturbed the moss makes a half decent roof - - -