Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mold On Roof Shingles ?

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 20:04:52 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Nov 3, 9:22Â*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 17:39:46 -0400, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have noticed a fair amount of greenish Mold (or Moss ?) on shingles in
some areas of my roof.

Live in New England; gets quite cold up here during the winter.

Â* Â* - Is it harmful for the Shingles ?
Â* Â* Â* (my primary question and concern)

Â* Â* - Will the cold temp. kill the stuff over the winter ?

Â* Â* - Will it rejuvenate itself in the Spring ?
Â* Â* Â* Or, just new patches in other areas likely ?

What causes ?

If it is really necessary to treat before the winter sets in, and I can
get up there to spray it with something, what's good to use that
won't harm the Shingles ?

Would prefer, I think, a commercial product rather than mixing something
up myself.

Thanks,
Bob

Once you begin to see that green stuff on your roof, that's an indicator
it's time for a new roof. Â*Replace it before winter or you will have
leaks.- Hide quoted text -

Why do you say that moss is an indicator ofa failing roof?

It is just a sign that the roof is staying damp and has organic
material exposed. CAN be due to a deteriorated roof - but also can be
due to being too well shaded with trees close by that have moss on
THEM.