Posted to alt.home.repair

Default surge protectors for refrig and washing machine

Any recommendation for a surge protector (strip with a cord that plugs
into wall) for a refrigerator (touch control panel on door) and a
touch control Samsung washing machine (as separate appliances)?

I know I asked and looked for a clothes dryer surge protector earlier
and I conclude there isn't any that will plug into wall. As a result
I may later do a whole house surge protector.

If it matters I can get the make/model numbers for the washing machine
and refrig but meanwhile, what joules, etc.. is a good number to go by
when shopping for surge protectors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
Any recommendation for a surge protector (strip with a cord that plugs
into wall) for a refrigerator (touch control panel on door) and a
touch control Samsung washing machine (as separate appliances)?

I know I asked and looked for a clothes dryer surge protector earlier
and I conclude there isn't any that will plug into wall. As a result
I may later do a whole house surge protector.

If it matters I can get the make/model numbers for the washing machine
and refrig but meanwhile, what joules, etc.. is a good number to go by
when shopping for surge protectors?

Er, why do you want one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Doug wrote:
Any recommendation for a surge protector (strip with a cord that plugs
into wall) for a refrigerator (touch control panel on door) and a
touch control Samsung washing machine (as separate appliances)?

Er, why do you want one?

Er, why not? many new appliances have circuit boards and get blown out with
high frequency. It's not you father's refrigerator these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
Any recommendation for a surge protector (strip with a cord that plugs
into wall) for a refrigerator (touch control panel on door) and a
touch control Samsung washing machine (as separate appliances)?

I know I asked and looked for a clothes dryer surge protector earlier
and I conclude there isn't any that will plug into wall. As a result
I may later do a whole house surge protector.

If it matters I can get the make/model numbers for the washing machine
and refrig but meanwhile, what joules, etc.. is a good number to go by
when shopping for surge protectors?

I would suggest a whole house.

You can also buy inexpensive suppressor plates that just plug into wall
outlet. Some have multiple outs, just make sure it has enough amps.
Probably $10-15 .

As far as quality strip suppressors, I'm partial to tripplite.

You can also do this..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...tricalstrip-20

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can also buy inexpensive suppressor plates that just plug into wall
outlet. Some have multiple outs, just make sure it has enough amps.
Probably $10-15 .

I would not have a MOV based surge protector in my home unless it was
in a METAL housing, not a PLASTIC housing.

MOVs across a power line can fail in a spectacular flame and I
wouldn't count on a plastic box to contain that.

This includes plastic surge protected outlet strips.

THe MOV needs to be in metal.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

You can also buy inexpensive suppressor plates that just plug into wall
outlet. Some have multiple outs, just make sure it has enough amps.
Probably $10-15 .

I would not have a MOV based surge protector in my home unless it was
in a METAL housing, not a PLASTIC housing.

MOVs across a power line can fail in a spectacular flame and I
wouldn't count on a plastic box to contain that.

This includes plastic surge protected outlet strips.

THe MOV needs to be in metal.

Mark

I would agree, but my whole house unit is encased in a heavy plastic
container. When the first one exploded, it shot out the hole into the main
box.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2012 9:47 PM, Mark wrote:

You can also buy inexpensive suppressor plates that just plug into wall
outlet. Some have multiple outs, just make sure it has enough amps.
Probably $10-15 .

I would not have a MOV based surge protector in my home unless it was
in a METAL housing, not a PLASTIC housing.

MOVs across a power line can fail in a spectacular flame and I
wouldn't count on a plastic box to contain that.

This includes plastic surge protected outlet strips.

THe MOV needs to be in metal.

Mark

UL1449 listed surge protectors made since 1998 are required to have
thermal disconnects for overheating (failing) MOVs. You should only buy
UL listed ones anyway. (Seems like some UPSs are not listed under UL1449.)

This is a good application for a protector at the service panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:05:13 PM UTC-7, Doug wrote:
Any recommendation for a surge protector (strip with a cord that plugs

into wall) for a refrigerator (touch control panel on door) and a

touch control Samsung washing machine (as separate appliances)?

I know I asked and looked for a clothes dryer surge protector earlier

and I conclude there isn't any that will plug into wall. As a result

I may later do a whole house surge protector.

If it matters I can get the make/model numbers for the washing machine

and refrig but meanwhile, what joules, etc.. is a good number to go by

when shopping for surge protectors?

I'm about to purchase a 30 AMP surge protector from Camping World (or someplace cheaper, it's listed at just under $60.00 at Camping World)for my dryer. I have replaced the circuit board three times and was about to do a whole house surge protector until I had the "eureka" moment: it dawned on me that I used a 30 AMP, 3 prong surge protector cord for my trailer, which was exactly what I needed for my dryer. Plug my dryer cord into the 30 AMP surge cord, then plug into my wall. All for under 60 bucks.

Surge Protectors [email protected] Electronics Repair 95 July 8th 10 07:43 PM
Surge protectors? Jay1028 Electronics Repair 48 July 24th 07 12:20 AM
Surge Protectors DD UK diy 40 April 13th 07 04:40 PM
surge protectors karsan Home Repair 34 June 15th 06 02:05 AM
Surge Protectors twfsa Home Repair 15 December 29th 05 07:27 PM