Posted to alt.home.repair

Default blown blower motor

A couple weeks ago I went on vacation to my mother's winter house in
Naples, FL. Their house has two A/C systems, one for the master
bedroom suite and one for the rest of the house. The bedroom system
worked fine, but the main system didn't seem to be blowing air out. I
found the air handlers in the garage attached to the ceiling. The
condenser units were outside of the garage. The main condenser had ice
built up on the insulated freon line. I went inside and turned off the
system and let it defrost over the next few hours.

I called my mother and let her know what was happening. She had me
call the HVAC contractor which had installed the system 8 years ago.
The technician showed up that evening and diagnosed it as a blown fan
motor. Cost of repair $1200 for a universal motor. Yes, it was out of
warranty. This was a Trane system, although I don't know the model.

Considering the system is barely used 6 months out of the year, this
seems rather poor longevity for a blower motor. It also seems rather
expensive.

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
[...]

Something is missing from the story. We just had a similar problem with a
vacation home likewise in Florida. In the end the blower motor cost (retail)
a bit over $300 plus tax. (local purchase in DFW would have been $168 from
Granger). Labor was three hours. Nowhere near $1200.

What else was listed on the service report?

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
[...]

Two.

Icing is usually indicative of low freon. If completely iced over, the
blower motor can't move any air. Get the freon situation fixed first and see
if all is well.

Second, a blower motor should cost in the neighborhood of $300, even for the
high-priced spread (Grainger's). If your hand fits a wrench, you should be
able to replace it in a couple of hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 3:58*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
[...]

some manufactuers use special parts that arent available anywhere but
the company. A buddy of mine who taught HVAC for many years said trane
as one of those, he recommends GOODMAN because they use off the shelf
parts

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 13:07:28 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Nov 1, 3:58Â*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
A couple weeks ago I went on vacation to my mother's winter house in
Naples, FL. Â*Their house has two A/C systems, one for the master
bedroom suite and one for the rest of the house. Â*The bedroom system
worked fine, but the main system didn't seem to be blowing air out. Â*I
found the air handlers in the garage attached to the ceiling. Â*The
condenser units were outside of the garage. Â*The main condenser had
ice built up on the insulated freon line. Â*I went inside and turned
off the system and let it defrost over the next few hours.

I called my mother and let her know what was happening. Â*She had me
call the HVAC contractor which had installed the system 8 years ago.
The technician showed up that evening and diagnosed it as a blown fan
motor. Â*Cost of repair $1200 for a universal motor. Â*Yes, it was out
of warranty. Â*This was a Trane system, although I don't know the
model.

Considering the system is barely used 6 months out of the year, this
seems rather poor longevity for a blower motor. Â*It also seems rather
expensive.

Any thoughts?

Two.

Icing is usually indicative of low freon. If completely iced over, the
blower motor can't move any air. Get the freon situation fixed first and see
if all is well.

Second, a blower motor should cost in the neighborhood of $300, even for the
high-priced spread (Grainger's). If your hand fits a wrench, you should be
able to replace it in a couple of hours.

some manufactuers use special parts that arent available anywhere but
the company. A buddy of mine who taught HVAC for many years said trane
as one of those, he recommends GOODMAN because they use off the shelf
parts

The OP DID say it was for a UNIVERSAL motor - hardly what I would
call a specialty part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm guessing you typed "beginning" and spell check
got you. But, this is more fun. "Please oil me! I'm
begging you, oil! I need oil!"

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Grumpy" wrote in message
If those motors are brass bushings bearings
they need to be lubricated begging of every
season.

Considering the system is barely used 6 months out of the year, this
seems rather poor longevity for a blower motor. It also seems rather
expensive.

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard much the same thing. Trane, and Sears use parts that are
dificult to find.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

some manufactuers use special parts that arent available anywhere but
the company. A buddy of mine who taught HVAC for many years said trane
as one of those, he recommends GOODMAN because they use off the shelf
parts

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/01/2012 02:06 PM, badgolferman wrote:
[...]

Well, you didn't say how old it was... but I've yet to see one fail and
I've seen them in service for 20+ years. (or maybe "they don't make 'em
like they used to?)

I do think that is a bit extortionate though. Even assuming "list"
prices for everything I would guess that the motor might be a couple
hundred bucks (which I'd still be offended at, but whatever, that is
what it is) plus a minimum say four hour service charge, that's still
$7-800 or so not $1200. Heck, I had central air installed in a house
that did not previously have it a few years back - new indoor & outdoor
units, new thermostat, new wiring, including disconnect and wiring back
to breaker panel, new custom sheetmetal work for the plenum, and new
electrostatic air filter and IIRC the bill was under $4K.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/01/2012 04:02 PM, HeyBub wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
[...]

If the blower fails to start but the compressor is running, the lines
will ice up without necessarily indicating low charge. Had that happen
to me last summer - condensate drain clogged up, overflowed, took out
the air handler control board, woke up to find the compressor chugging
away but no airflow.

Replaced control board and all is well. Cost less than $1200 too but I
ended up making work for myself; the furnace is older than dirt and I
adapted a newer Honeywell "universal furnace control" which required the
addition of a flame sensor rather than buying the separate (and more
expensive, and less convenient to use) "fan control board" and "ignitor
control board" which were the parts that superseded the parts that
superseded the original parts. It's all working well now though.

The not-so-funny thing is that I'd actually blown out the drain lines
just a couple months earlier when cleaning the A-coil. Not exactly sure
how it got plugged again so quickly?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had the heater blowers in a couple old cars do just that to me!
(at least, I assume that that's what that horrible screeching noise
means...) After a while, I got pretty good at disassembling and
reassembling them, although sometimes it still took two old busted
motors to make one good one, because if you pulled one of the brass
bushings out of its pressed in cage when disassembling (because it was
held to the shaft by rust) that end of the case was trash. Guess they
weren't meant to last 50 years, or be easily repaired, either.

nate

.

"Grumpy" wrote in message
If those motors are brass bushings bearings
they need to be lubricated begging of every
season.

Considering the system is barely used 6 months out of the year, this
seems rather poor longevity for a blower motor. It also seems rather
expensive.

Any thoughts?

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I called my mother and let her know what was happening. She had me
call the HVAC contractor which had installed the system 8 years ago.
The technician showed up that evening and diagnosed it as a blown fan
motor. Cost of repair $1200 for a universal motor. Yes, it was out of
warranty. This was a Trane system, although I don't know the model.

Considering the system is barely used 6 months out of the year, this
seems rather poor longevity for a blower motor. It also seems rather
expensive.

Any thoughts?

Yes, but stuff happens. Motors can last for decades, they can go in
weeks. The price though, sounds like the service tech wants to fund
his retirement. You should be able to have the motor repaired or
replaced much cheaper. If you are unsure if the motor works, take it
to a nearby motor shop and they will check it in a minute or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2012 1:06 PM, badgolferman wrote:
[...]

I can't speak to the longevity but as far as the expense goes you must
remember that the home is in NAPLES, FL! We to there part of every
winter and if there is anything there that is not expensive I am yet to
find it.

Don

Senior Member

If the HVAC contractor purchased the blower motor for $300, don't expect him to bill you $300 for it. I've found that the mark-up plumbing contractors in Winnipeg use is anywhere from 100% to 200%, so if the motor cost them $300, they'll charge you from $600 to $900 for it. Add in $150 worth of labour at $90 per hour, and apply taxes to everything, and that's how you end up paying $1200 for a new blower motor.

I find it's best to get the HVAC contractor to determine what's wrong and what parts need to be replaced, and then call him back once you've got the parts he needs. You can buy most any part you need online for prices lower than contractors will get at your local wholesalers.

Here in Winnipeg, an ignition electrode kit for a Weil McLain Ultra 310 boiler costs $115 at my local wholesaler, but I can order it online for about $15 from Pex Supply or other online HVAC supply websites. A blower motor assembly for that same boiler costs $1600 at my local wholesaler, and I purchased one to have on hand should I need one online for about $500. Next time, find out what you need to fix the problem, and order the parts online. That'll save you a big hunk of the cost, with the only risk being that if the parts you supply are defective, then you have to pay the contractor to come back and do an encore performance.

Last edited by nestork : November 2nd 12 at 06:37 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Blow the blown blower repairman. He'll cut his price in half if you
blow him real hard, real long, and real good.
Blow jobs are like money. Buy em, sell em, trade em, or give em.
Considering inflation, the value if a blowjob never decreases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the contrator installed the system 8 years ago,
that should give you an idea how old it is.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On 11/01/2012 02:06 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I called my mother and let her know what was happening. She had me
call the HVAC contractor which had installed the system 8 years ago.

Any thoughts?

Well, you didn't say how old it was...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed and I get the award for reading comprehension, today.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

On 11/01/2012 02:06 PM, badgolferman wrote:

She had me
call the HVAC contractor which had installed the system 8 years ago.

Well, you didn't say how old it was... but

Hmmmm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I had my AC system replaced they put in a "soft start"
evap/blower system (split system with compressor outside) It uses a
DC motor. The soft start sounded good and total price for the handler
was pretty much "normal" so I didn't give it much more thought. After
it was installed I talked to the installer some more about it an and
asked if the DC motor in it would be as easy to find and replace
should it go out as the typical AC blower motors. His answer was that
the motor might cost well over $500 but that they rarely go out and it
had a 10 year warranty. Had I known about the cost I would never have
used a soft start system.