Percival P. Cassidy

Default "blown-in" fiber glass insulation without a blower??

Menards is advertising a sale on Johns-Manville "blown-in" fiber glass
insulation, but our local store is only a small one, at which this
product is available only by special order (2-week wait) and with no
machines for rent (never mind "free" as at most of the other stores).

Is there any reasonable way of installing this product without a blower
-- e.g., by raking or otherwise spreading it?

Perce
LM

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Menards is advertising a sale on Johns-Manville "blown-in" fiber glass
insulation, but our local store is only a small one, at which this
product is available only by special order (2-week wait) and with no
machines for rent (never mind "free" as at most of the other stores).

Is there any reasonable way of installing this product without a blower
-- e.g., by raking or otherwise spreading it?

Perce

I blew in cellulose. It was compressed so tightly in bags that it
was almost solid. It was a job just to break up the chunks to get
them into the blower.

The blower mixes air into the insulation and "fluffs" it up.

There's no way I could have broken up the insulation and spread
it as evenly by hand as we did with the blower.
W. Wells

My advise is to get a company that blows in insulation. I found that when
insulating these companies will do the job cheaper than you can buy the
insulation. I found it that way with blown in and batten.
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Menards is advertising a sale on Johns-Manville "blown-in" fiber glass
insulation, but our local store is only a small one, at which this
product is available only by special order (2-week wait) and with no
machines for rent (never mind "free" as at most of the other stores).

Is there any reasonable way of installing this product without a blower
-- e.g., by raking or otherwise spreading it?

Perce

Check out your local gas/electric utility. In Mass, NSTAR will reimburse 1/2
the cost up to a maximum amount of having an approved insulation contractor
come in and blow insulation. We did this with fiberglass for a large old
farmhouse and it saved us quite a bit.

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Menards is advertising a sale on Johns-Manville "blown-in" fiber glass
insulation, but our local store is only a small one, at which this
product is available only by special order (2-week wait) and with no
machines for rent (never mind "free" as at most of the other stores).

Is there any reasonable way of installing this product without a blower
-- e.g., by raking or otherwise spreading it?

Perce

Percival P. Cassidy

Thanks for that tip. Our utility doesn't have such a program, but a link
on their Web site directed me to a Federal/State program of which we
might be able to take advantage.

Perce

On 11/07/05 06:21 am bks tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Check out your local gas/electric utility. In Mass, NSTAR will reimburse 1/2
the cost up to a maximum amount of having an approved insulation contractor
come in and blow insulation. We did this with fiberglass for a large old
farmhouse and it saved us quite a bit.

Menards is advertising a sale on Johns-Manville "blown-in" fiber glass
insulation, but our local store is only a small one, at which this
product is available only by special order (2-week wait) and with no
machines for rent (never mind "free" as at most of the other stores).

Is there any reasonable way of installing this product without a blower
-- e.g., by raking or otherwise spreading it?

Stormin Mormon

I did some blown cellulose a couple weeks ago. Not really practical without
the machine. The machine also takes the packed bales, and chops them up into
fluff.

Better off with rolled fiberglass if you can't get the machine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.