Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to find a post lamp pole cap + light socket?

We have a post light in the front yard that looks something like this:

http://www.elightspot.com/Livex-7558-04.aspx

At Christmas each year, I replace the regular light with a Santa light,
which fits nicely inside the housing.

This year, I wanted to replace the whole light fixture with a large
jack-o-lantern cut from one of those artificial pumpkins. But in order
to make that work, I need to remove the whole assembly, take it apart,
and rewire the light socket to the cap. This is a tedious process that
will surely involve losing small screws and nuts and multiple trips to
the hardware store.

It occurred to me that the whole process would be so much simpler if I
could find another cap and light socket. Then I could make a whole
separate assembly.

I have been unable to find a source for the cap that will fit over the
3" pole. I called several online yard lamp stores. They only sell the
whole assembly.

Any ideas where I can get a cap for a 3" pole with a threaded hole for a
light socket?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 12:54*pm, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
[...]

It's almost too late, but just take the large plastic pumpkin, cut the
bottom out and stick it over the light
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:54:44 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
wrote:

We have a post light in the front yard that looks something like this:

http://www.elightspot.com/Livex-7558-04.aspx

At Christmas each year, I replace the regular light with a Santa light,
which fits nicely inside the housing.

This year, I wanted to replace the whole light fixture with a large
jack-o-lantern cut from one of those artificial pumpkins. But in order
to make that work, I need to remove the whole assembly, take it apart,
and rewire the light socket to the cap. This is a tedious process that
will surely involve losing small screws and nuts and multiple trips to
the hardware store.

I always put out a "Beware of Dog" sign.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:17:51 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I always put out a "Beware of Dog" sign.

WARNING: My dog is armed and refuses to take his medication!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/12 1:54 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
[...]

If the post diameter is 3.5" (or a little less) you might consider
using a 3" PVC pipe cap. Drill hole for socket support.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051

or

http://tinyurl.com/b4lk768

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any ideas where I can get a cap for a 3" pole with a threaded hole for a
light socket?

New Jersey, maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:22:08 -0400, Retired wrote:

[...]

That's a great idea. The post is 3" OD, but they must make a fitting to
mate two 3" pipes. I'll check the local hardware store.

Thanks for the suggestion.