Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens now to the election due to Hurricane Sandy?

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 13:54:43 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Oren wrote in :

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:01:15 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

I just remembered-- It takes 270. So even if somebody got 269 and
the other guy lost some electors, it would go to the house & senate.

Right. This is in the U.S. Constitution.

Wrong. It goes to the House. Period.

Here's the Constitution on it- 12th amendment- Clause 3;
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/usconstitution/a/a2s1.htm

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just remembered-- It takes 270. So even if somebody got 269 and
the other guy lost some electors, it would go to the house & senate.

Right. This is in the U.S. Constitution.

Wrong. It goes to the House. Period.

Um, see "contingent election":

"...The 12th Amendment to the Constitution requires that candidates
for President and Vice President receive a majority of electoral votes
(currently 270 or more of a total of 538) to be elected. If no
candidate receives a majority, the President is elected by the House
of Representatives (which occurred once, in 1825), and the Vice
President is elected by the Senate (which also occurred once, in
1837). This process is known as contingent election."

http://congressionalresearch.com/RL32695/document.php?study=Election+of+the+President+and+V ice+President+by+Congress+Contingent+Election
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
G. Morgan wrote:

Oren wrote:

this election stands a excellent chance of being a tie, electoral
college wise. with congress s gridlocked can you imagine them trying
to decide?

Easy. At 269 electoral votes each, the House picks the president and
the Senate picks the VP.

Romney / Biden administration.

And if the House is tied, Biden gets to vote to break the tie!

I'd like to see a cite for that. I know he can in the Senate, but
can't find anything that says he can in the House.

My bad. It is the Senate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:38:49 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

When Romney gets 330 electoral votes it is all over but the crying.

Maybe not. I can think of at least two additional scenarios:

* Rioting in the streets, and/or
* Lawsuits without number.

You got me there. I forgot about ammo shortages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote in :

On 11/1/2012 9:54 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Oren wrote in news:m25398p1hhgrg1gjgg5g4g4dktc2tg8fae@

4ax.com:

wrote:

I just remembered-- It takes 270. So even if somebody got 269 and
the other guy lost some electors, it would go to the house & senate.

Right. This is in the U.S. Constitution.

Wrong. It goes to the House. Period.

Actually no. In case of an electoral college tie it goes to the house
and senate. The house voting with special rules (each state gets one
vote etc) picks the president and the senate picks the VP.

OK, yes, that's true -- I was thinking only in terms of choosing the President.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just remembered-- It takes 270. So even if somebody got 269 and
the other guy lost some electors, it would go to the house & senate.

Right. This is in the U.S. Constitution.

Wrong. It goes to the House. Period.

Actually no. In case of an electoral college tie it goes to the house
and senate. The house voting with special rules (each state gets one
vote etc) picks the president and the senate picks the VP.

OK, yes, that's true -- I was thinking only in terms of choosing the President.

So I wasn't "wrong". Thank you!
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2012 12:54 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
Okay, there are an estimated 6-10 million people without power in the
Atlantic coastal United States. This power outage could easily last
past November 6 in many areas, which of course is election day.

With public transportation disrupted or non-existent, or no power at the
polling places - what will happen if millions can not vote because of
the storm's effects?

Five "swing states" are heavily affected by the storm. They include:

MAINE
NEW HAMPSHIRE
NORTH CAROLINA
OHIO
PENNSYLVANIA
VIRGINIA

If these people are unable to vote due to flooding, power outages, lack
of transportation, etc... what "backup plan" is there, if any? If the
election were to be postponed, it would only seem fair to postpone it
for *every* state and territory. It wouldn't be right if 16/50 states
had to wait while the rest of the country votes on Nov. 6th.

Does anyone know if there is a law that provides for postponement in the
event of a natural disaster?

(Best viewed with at least 72 chars. width)

"States Affected by Sandy" "Swing States" "Affected Swingers"

CONNECTICUT Arizona MAINE
DELAWARE Colorado NEW HAMPSHIRE
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA Florida NORTH CAROLINA
MAINE Iowa OHIO
MARYLAND Main PENNSYLVANIA
MASSACHUSETTS Michigan VIRGINIA
NEW HAMPSHIRE Minnesota
NEW JERSEY Nevada
NEW YORK New Hampshire
NORTH CAROLINA New Mexico
OHIO North Carolina
PENNSYLVANIA Ohio
RHODE ISLAND Pennsylvania
SOUTH CAROLINA Virginia
VIRGINIA Wisconsin
WEST VIRGINIA

NJ is looking to use military vehicles as temporary polling stations:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/NJ_m...or_voters.html

....and extending the deadline for mail-in ballots:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ballot_de.html

--
"We all should vote 'forward' - just don't vote Barack-ward..."

MFB
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 02:38:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Mormons don't drink coffee.

They can and they do. The leaders have been very clear that there is
nothing in their fundamental doctrine that prohibits any of the
caffine drinks. Most don't but that's a matter of personal choice.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote

this will likely lead to the end of the electoral college and going to
a popular vote

Not going to happen -- that requires amending the Constitution, which requires the
concurrence of 3/4 of the states.

Most of which would lose whatever small political clout they have.

A great many of those states are firmly Republican and they would be
agreeing to give electorial control to the Democrat cities.

It doesn't work on either a representational or a political basis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Winston_Smith" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 02:38:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Mormons don't drink coffee.

They can and they do. The leaders have been very clear that there is
nothing in their fundamental doctrine that prohibits any of the
caffine drinks. Most don't but that's a matter of personal choice.

There was also a modern "revelation" that the original caveat did not
include modern caffeinated drinks. They also own or have owned %'s of
companies that produce these drinks.

Steve

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Winston_Smith wrote:

They can and they do. The leaders have been very clear that there is
nothing in their fundamental doctrine that prohibits any of the
caffine drinks. Most don't but that's a matter of personal choice.

9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained
for the constitution, nature, and use of man€”

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof;
all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-te...dc/89?lang=eng

As I read that, iced coffee is good and, mon, thanks be to Jah for providing
all that righteous herb for man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Nov 2012 23:53:54 GMT, "Lisa BB."
wrote:

uhhhh, they say both Dems+Repubs are after the woman's vote.
We don't care about penises.

Huh? Some women will disagree with you.