Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper Nails

Hi,
I heard copper nail is used to kill tree stump.
Is it so?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 10:47*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
I heard copper nail is used to kill tree stump.
Is it so?

no, i have a friend who tried that repeatedly in a dedicated attempt
to kill a tree that bocked his windmill.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 9:47*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
I heard copper nail is used to kill tree stump.
Is it so?

Maybe you are thinking of drilling holes in the stump and filling them
with copper sulfate.. try a gardening group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
I heard copper nail is used to kill tree stump.
Is it so?

Behind my garage, someone planted 3 needle palm trees. Why I couldn't
tell you. (Long story...)

Any there is little sunlight there, and they stayed small/sickly looking
for eons... then they finally grew above the roof and took off like
skyrockets. They were by now way to big dig out, and would grow into
power lines if left be.

I cut off all the fronds, which reduced the stump height to about 4
feet. Man do they ever have long hard sharp needles! I thought I'd
probably killed them. Nope, they came back really aggressively.

Cut them back again, and sprinkled rock salt over all the cut ends, and
crotches... a good bit too, probably a couple of pounds. They laughed!

Cut them a third time, and had no idea what to do... but on a whim
sprinkled them down with with some old leftover DexronII ATF.

It stopped them cold in their tracks, absolutely zero grow back.

It didn't take a lot, just coated all the cut ends, and poured some into
all the up facing crotches. I kept it off the ground.

I'm not an Arborist, but have seen one played on TV. Above is presented
for what it's worth... so be safe, use common sense, good judgment and
as always; YMMV.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:45:17 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
I heard copper nail is used to kill tree stump.
Is it so?

That would be first degree premeditated murder. Are you ready to spend
the rest of your life in prison?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 3:47*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
I heard copper nail is used to kill tree stump.
Is it so?

Drill hole(s) @45deg to the vertical and pour in roundup.
(Weedkiller).

Or (unless this is hidden sabotage of someone else's tree), ring bark
it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_bark
You still have the problem of getting it demolished and removed.
Depending on what sort of tree it is, it may sprout/sucker from the
base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:10:37 -0700, Erik wrote:

Cut them a third time, and had no idea what to do... but on a whim
sprinkled them down with with some old leftover DexronII ATF.

It stopped them cold in their tracks, absolutely zero grow back.

It didn't take a lot, just coated all the cut ends, and poured some into
all the up facing crotches. I kept it off the ground.

The usual recommendation is to paint the cut ends with Roundup.

copper nails Dave UK diy 33 June 7th 11 10:51 PM
copper nails for roofing? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 9 July 29th 08 07:01 PM
Copper Nails brian[_2_] Home Repair 26 September 4th 07 04:29 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Repair 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Ownership 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM