Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self propelled mower - won't.

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

Honda makes the engine, not the wheel transmission, which is
the second thing you want to inspect. (#1 is to remove ignition
wire from spark plug for safety.) We do not know whether yours
has belt drive or mechanical drive. If you have no owner's manual,
look for one on line and see what its Troubleshooting page says.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:50:46 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

Male or female parts ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 9:23*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

Honda makes the engine, not the wheel transmission, which is
the second thing you want to inspect. *(#1 is to remove ignition
wire from spark plug for safety.) * We do not know whether yours
has belt drive or mechanical drive. *If you have no owner's manual,
look for one on line and see what its Troubleshooting page says.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

I had a Honda Harmony and it too quit moving. It turned out
to be the transmission, where a key bearing on the main
shaft had failed. Bad news was that the price for a new one was
$135. And while I do a
lot of my own work, let me tell you, getting it out required
removing a lot of small, specific parts, etc. I even had to go
buy a new set of snap ring pliers because I did't have ones
small enough. If you had to pay someone to do it, I would
not be surprised for it to run up two hours in labor. In the
end, given the cost and some
uncertainty in getting it all back together correctly, I decided
to buy a new mower. Found a brand new Sears on Ebay
for $170.

The good news is the Sears uses a simple variable speed
belt drive. It's
now 5 years later and it's still running fine. The Sears also
stopped moving a couple years ago. I removed two cover
screws above the belt and found that the end of the tensioning
spring had broken. One cable tie and 5 mins
later she was going again. The Sears has more power
and will go through taller grass. On the other hand, the
Honda did the best job of mulching I have seen and it
also left the grass with a finer cut. But given the price
premium for the Honda versus their crappy tranny design,
I',m not about to buy one again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My old Toro had a drive belt, under there some where.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:23:01 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

Honda makes the engine, not the wheel transmission,

How do you know that on a Honda mower?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

A stripped gear in the drive train. Plastic teeth in the gear break.
Get an exploded view. Look there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

A stripped gear in the drive train. Plastic teeth in the gear break.
Get an exploded view. Look there.

It's a model HRT2162TDA. The dealer says that almost every one of them had
complete "transmission failures". The entire assembly costs $70-something.
It's almost the end of the mowing season, so I've got until late April to
fix the thing, or turn it into a pile of useless parts. :-)

The user manual (sitting on the desk right in front of me) mentions NOTHING
about this issue. Helm sells a shop manual for $35.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

A stripped gear in the drive train. Plastic teeth in the gear break.
Get an exploded view. Look there.

It's a model HRT2162TDA. The dealer says that almost every one of them had
complete "transmission failures".

That's what happened to my Honda, similar model.

The entire assembly costs $70-something.

That's about half what the price for the tranny in mine
was 5 years ago. I opted to not fix it. Sad though, the rest
of the mower was in very good shape and would have
gone a lot longer.

It's almost the end of the mowing season, so I've got until late April to
fix the thing, or turn it into a pile of useless parts. :-)

The user manual (sitting on the desk right in front of me) mentions NOTHING
about this issue. Helm sells a shop manual for $35.

Would you expect a user manual to talk about the fact
that you can expect "complete tranny failure"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

The belt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

Honda makes the engine, not the wheel transmission,

How do you know that on a Honda mower?

There are mowers with Honda engines, and then there are HONDA mowers.
Honda doesn't use tecumseh transmissions
Posted to alt.home.repair

Esp. since they fail five years after the manual was written.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message news:c9ec7653-6e8d-45d9-82c0-

The user manual (sitting on the desk right in front of me) mentions
NOTHING
about this issue. Helm sells a shop manual for $35.

Would you expect a user manual to talk about the fact
that you can expect "complete tranny failure"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

The belt.

This is a distinct possibility because other than simply being an old belt,
the self-propelled feature works for a few minutes and then dies, ***AND***
the problem coincided with mowing dry leaves. I wonder about the effect of
the leaf dust on an already worn belt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

8 year old Honda lawnmower just decided it wants to be pushed. What's the
first thing to check? The cable, maybe?

The belt.

This is a distinct possibility because other than simply being an old belt,
the self-propelled feature works for a few minutes and then dies, ***AND***
the problem coincided with mowing dry leaves. I wonder about the effect of
the leaf dust on an already worn belt.

When mine was new and pushed hard on dry leaves I recall a rubber
burning smell that concerned me. Been a couple of years with no problem
but I try not to overwork the mower.