Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool sand filter leaking

The output on my sand filter developed a leak. I think it's a seal that
needs to be replaced or cleaned and lubed but I need to get the coupling
apart to fix it.

It's 29 years old so the plastic is probably very brittle. Does anyone
have experience with removing the coupling and repairing the seals?

Here is the coupling:

http://www.safaricabs.com/output.jpg

It's a BakerHydro sandfilter.

Here's a blow-up:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerii1969-83.gif

another:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerII_hrv1984.gif

I'm real worried about the coupling breaking when I take it apart. I'd
rather not replace the coupling but I'm aware it maybe inevitable. Any
tips appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 14:09:09 -0500, gonjah wrote:

The output on my sand filter developed a leak. I think it's a seal that
needs to be replaced or cleaned and lubed but I need to get the coupling
apart to fix it.

It's 29 years old so the plastic is probably very brittle. Does anyone
have experience with removing the coupling and repairing the seals?

Here is the coupling:

http://www.safaricabs.com/output.jpg

It's a BakerHydro sandfilter.

Here's a blow-up:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerii1969-83.gif

another:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerII_hrv1984.gif

I'm real worried about the coupling breaking when I take it apart. I'd
rather not replace the coupling but I'm aware it maybe inevitable. Any
tips appreciated.

Thanks

You mean the leak is at the tan coupling? If so, I would first try to
hand tighten the coupling to stop the leak. On my filter (cartridge),
the couplings are only hand tight / snug. You might order an O-ring
(seal) and replace it while the coupling is open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 2:09*pm, gonjah wrote:
The output on my sand filter developed a leak. I think it's a seal that
needs to be replaced or cleaned and lubed but I need to get the coupling
apart to fix it.

It's 29 years old so the plastic is probably very brittle. Does anyone
have experience with removing the coupling and repairing the seals?

Here is the coupling:

http://www.safaricabs.com/output.jpg

It's a BakerHydro sandfilter.

Here's a blow-up:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerii1969-83.gif

another:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerII_hrv1984.gif

I'm real worried about the coupling breaking when I take it apart. I'd
rather not replace the coupling but I'm aware it maybe inevitable. Any
tips appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have all winter to work on this, or are you somewhere that has
swimming year-round?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2012 2:42 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Good question. If you look at the second blowup it's leaking on the top
of pipe number 23 so it looks (to me) like seal #22 is leaking. Problem
is the 29 y/o plastic. I can't twist it by hand. I'd need a huge wrench
to twist the coupling. There is a very good possibility it will break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2012 2:47 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Oct 21, 2:09 pm, gonjah wrote:
[...]

It's almost 90 today. I run the pool year-round.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:23:05 -0500, gonjah wrote:

[...]

Use a set of these

http://www.brocktooldetroit.com/catalog/images/1360835179.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 4:23*pm, gonjah wrote:
[...]

to twist the coupling. There is a very good possibility it will break.- Hide quoted text -

I'd use a strap wrench. You can get them at HD, hardware
store, etc. HarborFreight also has them in a set where you
can get a set for about what one would cost at HD.

Per Oren's advice, I'd first try to tighten it a bit to see
if that helps. They should not be over tightened though,
typically just a little more than hand tight is all you need.

If you have to remove it and replace the o-ring, then you
have to do what you have to do. I'd also consider how
much it's leaking. If it's a pint a day, with a pool, I wouldn't
worry about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2012 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Oct 21, 4:23 pm, gonjah wrote:
[...]

Strap wench is a good suggestion. That's probably what I'll do.

It's leaking quite a bit.

I'm thinking I have to loosen the top intake and the bottom outtake and
pull the filter away from the pump to get to the seals.

If anyone has done this I'd like to know. Even after it's drained it's
going to weigh a ton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2012 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Oct 21, 4:23 pm, gonjah wrote:
[...]

Is there anything like WD40 for plastic? Something I can spray it and
let it soak for a while before I try to loosen the couplings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 16:01:45 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Strap wench is a good suggestion. That's probably what I'll do.

It's leaking quite a bit.

Look at the O-ring.

I'm thinking I have to loosen the top intake and the bottom outtake and
pull the filter away from the pump to get to the seals.

Release the pressure in the tank before you open this up.

If anyone has done this I'd like to know. Even after it's drained it's
going to weigh a ton.

Does the filter have a drain plug at the lower end? Pull the plug to
allow the water to drain after the pressure is released.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2012 4:44 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 16:01:45 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Strap wench is a good suggestion. That's probably what I'll do.

It's leaking quite a bit.

Look at the O-ring.

I'm thinking I have to loosen the top intake and the bottom outtake and
pull the filter away from the pump to get to the seals.

Release the pressure in the tank before you open this up.

If anyone has done this I'd like to know. Even after it's drained it's
going to weigh a ton.

Does the filter have a drain plug at the lower end? Pull the plug to
allow the water to drain after the pressure is released.

Yeah there is a plug (blow-up #1 part #15) But the wet sand is still
heavy. The pool supply store guy said I have to take the sand out.
That's a major pain that I think I might be able to work around.

The thing I'm most concerned with is the plastic. If anyone knows how to
loosen this thing safely I'd really like to know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:24:07 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Do you have all winter to work on this, or are you somewhere that has
swimming year-round?

It's almost 90 today. I run the pool year-round.

Translation: Albuquerque, NM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 17:12:22 -0500, gonjah wrote:

[...]

Sometimes to save the pot you need to split off the nut, then cut the
pipe and install a new fitting nut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Might have to. I went to WD40 website and it says it's safe on
plastics.
I'm going to apply WD40 liberally, let it soak for about 24 hours and
get a strap wrench.

I wouldn't consider using WD40 on PVC. It can't rust anyway. Just try loosening
it first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:

wrote:

[...]

break.- Hide quoted text - - Show quoted text -

I'd use a strap wrench. You can get them at HD, hardware
store, etc. HarborFreight also has them in a set where you
can get a set for about what one would cost at HD.

Per Oren's advice, I'd first try to tighten it a bit to see
if that helps. They should not be over tightened though,
typically just a little more than hand tight is all you need.

If you have to remove it and replace the o-ring, then you
have to do what you have to do. I'd also consider how
much it's leaking. If it's a pint a day, with a pool, I wouldn't
worry about it.

Is there anything like WD40 for plastic? Something I can spray it and
let it soak for a while before I try to loosen the couplings?

You are making it a bigger problem than it is. You could try spray on 100%
silicone. (food grade?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had an old Tahitian filter with similar fittings. When they gave way, I
was able to add new fittings using glue in extenders and a little
replumbing. If you run into trouble, all is not lost. Here's a link:
http://www.h2oco.com/online_catalog/catalog/k/k_3.htm My local sprinkler
supply company has these, not the swimming pool places or HD.

"gonjah" wrote in message
The output on my sand filter developed a leak. I think it's a seal that
needs to be replaced or cleaned and lubed but I need to get the coupling
apart to fix it.

It's 29 years old so the plastic is probably very brittle. Does anyone
have experience with removing the coupling and repairing the seals?

Here is the coupling:

http://www.safaricabs.com/output.jpg

It's a BakerHydro sandfilter.

Here's a blow-up:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerii1969-83.gif

another:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerII_hrv1984.gif

I'm real worried about the coupling breaking when I take it apart. I'd
rather not replace the coupling but I'm aware it maybe inevitable. Any
tips appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:55:12 -0500, gonjah wrote:

On 10/21/2012 6:44 PM, wrote:
[...]

It is safe on MOST plastics, and useless on about the same
percentage. One thing you do NOT want to use it on is sliding pivots
on vinyl windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The output on my sand filter developed a leak. I think it's a seal that
needs to be replaced or cleaned and lubed but I need to get the coupling
apart to fix it.

It's 29 years old so the plastic is probably very brittle. Does anyone
have experience with removing the coupling and repairing the seals?

You will probably find that is already broken and in need of being replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" wrote in message

Is there anything like WD40 for plastic? Something I can spray it and let
it soak for a while before I try to loosen the couplings?

WD40 is a solvent i.e. damages some types of plastic.

Pool piping in this part of the world:
1. is dissassembled every winter
2. with a (rubber) strap wrench if needed,
3. and reconnected every spring,
4. using Teflon tape to seal leak-free (six turns on
the threads of plastic screw fittings, and three more
on the butt, says local expert Sam who is always right.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 11:59*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"gonjah" wrote in message

Is there anything like WD40 for plastic? Something I can spray it and let
it soak for a while before I try to loosen the couplings?

WD40 is a solvent i.e. damages some types of plastic.

Pool piping in this part of the world:
1. *is dissassembled every winter
2. *with a (rubber) strap wrench if needed,
3. *and reconnected every spring,
4. *using Teflon tape to seal leak-free (six turns on
the threads of plastic screw fittings, and three more
on the butt, says local expert Sam who is always right.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Agree with all of the above, except the teflon tape. The
fitting in question relies on a specific round seal. You can
put all the teflon tape you want on the threads and it's not
going to matter. If the water gets past the seal, it's going
to leak around where the shoulder of the nut meets the
pipe regardless of any tape on the threads.

My suspicion would be that he may find that something is
cracked too that caused the leaking. Another common
problem with this kind of fitting is if either end was moved,
ie someone slammed into the filter or other side of the
piping. Ideally that connection should be made with both
halves free to move as it's brought together. Worse case
is if both ends are fixed so that when it's tightened it
can't come together perfectly aligned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" wrote in message

[...]

The pool store guy is even more pessimistic. He thinks I need a new
filter. So it's a $1.50 part or a new $500 filter. I'm keeping my
fingers crossed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2012 2:09 PM, gonjah wrote:
The output on my sand filter developed a leak. I think it's a seal that
needs to be replaced or cleaned and lubed but I need to get the coupling
apart to fix it.

It's 29 years old so the plastic is probably very brittle. Does anyone
have experience with removing the coupling and repairing the seals?

Here is the coupling:

http://www.safaricabs.com/output.jpg

It's a BakerHydro sandfilter.

Here's a blow-up:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerii1969-83.gif

another:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerII_hrv1984.gif

I'm real worried about the coupling breaking when I take it apart. I'd
rather not replace the coupling but I'm aware it maybe inevitable. Any
tips appreciated.

Thanks

Some very good news. Went to HF and bought a rubber strap wrench
($3.99). I tighten it just a tiny bit and the leak is gone.

The Home-Repair Gods smiled on me today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2012 7:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:24:07 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Do you have all winter to work on this, or are you somewhere that has
swimming year-round?

It's almost 90 today. I run the pool year-round.

Translation: Albuquerque, NM

More like Yuma Arizona or San Diego or Miami.

It snows in Albuquerque 3 months a year does it not?

Although I understand the gist of your post

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2012 8:23 PM, Dusenberg wrote:
On 10/21/2012 7:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:24:07 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Do you have all winter to work on this, or are you somewhere that has
swimming year-round?

It's almost 90 today. I run the pool year-round.

Translation: Albuquerque, NM

More like Yuma Arizona or San Diego or Miami.

It snows in Albuquerque 3 months a year does it not?

Although I understand the gist of your post

Yeah. It get's pretty dang cold in ABQ. I lived there for 25 years. I
bought my first down jacket there. The elevation in the heights is 1 mile.

I live in Austin now. It's quite a bit warmer here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2012 10:14 PM, gregz wrote:
gonjah wrote:
On 10/21/2012 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Oct 21, 4:23 pm, gonjah wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I remember that next time. This crisis is officially over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:
Crc 2-26

Greg

Thanks. I remember that next time. This crisis is officially over.

Which means what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:
On 10/21/2012 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Oct 21, 4:23 pm, gonjah wrote:
[...]

Get some now. I have been using it for some years. Great on electronic,
electrical stuff. Has a higher viscosity than wd-40 , so I also lubricate
sticky items, but does not get sticky. Out of the nozzle, it tends to foam.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:
On 10/21/2012 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Oct 21, 4:23 pm, gonjah wrote:
[...]

I will. I used to get this stuff called SBG (Silcone Based Grease). It's
the only thing that worked on my Polaris hose O-Ring. I've tried other
silicone sprays but they don't work AT ALL. They make it worse. Normal
petroleum based lube works, but not very will. I'll try the Crc 2-26 and
see if it does the trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 8:20*am, "
wrote:
On Oct 23, 1:36*am, "Bob F" wrote:

gonjah wrote:
Crc 2-26

Greg

Thanks. I remember that next time. This crisis is officially over.

Which means what?

Good question....

Never mind. I see he answered that in another part of
the thread. He tightened the fitting and it stopped leaking.