Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Overlooked by many DIYourselfer's

"For the do-it-yourself remodeler, obtaining permits is expensive,
time-consuming and sometimes frustrating, but for many home renovations it's
necessary and required. Some municipalities charge 1% of the total
construction costs to issue the permit and may take up to six weeks to
complete the inspections. That's time and money that some homeowners don't
have. Many homeowners sidestep the permit process as a result."

Examples:
"...cutting a hole for a new window..."
"Even something as simple as moving an outlet requires a permit."
"Most municipalities require a permit for siding projects."
"If you want to replace your water heater, you will need a permit."
"You'll need a permit to unclog a toilet or sink drain" (just kidding)

http://homes.yahoo.com/news/home-imp...e-permits.html

Must really suck to live in a community that requires permits for anything
more involved than painting the hallway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:26:32 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"If you want to replace your water heater, you will need a permit."

"...Starting today, shoppers and contractors at select Las Vegas Home
Depot stores will have self-service kiosks available for the issuance
of certain building permits, according to an article in the Las Vegas
Review Journal."

Odd thing is some local officials want to do away with permitting a
WH. A DIY person, or Handyman will not get permits.

It cost more to operate the program than permit fees collected.

Our local sheriff is considering stopping hand gun registration. One
County Commissioner agrees. Me too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"If you want to replace your water heater, you will need a permit."

"...Starting today, shoppers and contractors at select Las Vegas Home
Depot stores will have self-service kiosks available for the issuance
of certain building permits, according to an article in the Las Vegas
Review Journal."

Odd thing is some local officials want to do away with permitting a
WH. A DIY person, or Handyman will not get permits.

^^?

The above needs some explanation.

It cost more to operate the program than permit fees collected.

Poor planning.

Our local sheriff is considering stopping hand gun registration. One
County Commissioner agrees. Me too.

Will guns still need to be registered? I see a problem, here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"If you want to replace your water heater, you will need a permit."

"...Starting today, shoppers and contractors at select Las Vegas Home
Depot stores will have self-service kiosks available for the issuance
of certain building permits, according to an article in the Las Vegas
Review Journal."

Odd thing is some local officials want to do away with permitting a
WH. A DIY person, or Handyman will not get permits.

^^?

The above needs some explanation.

Many home owners do not even know a permit is required for a WH.

HO calls a pro services in emergency and the price is very high.

I'm not getting a permit on Sunday morning and do without hot water -
waiting for a stinking' permit.

Likely the same for a handyman, at least the county thinks so.

It cost more to operate the program than permit fees collected.

Poor planning.

People do not know of the requirement, some don't care.

Our local sheriff is considering stopping hand gun registration. One
County Commissioner agrees. Me too.

Will guns still need to be registered? I see a problem, here.

No. Not if it takes place. Only two counties in my state require
registration of hand guns. Long guns are exempted in the entire state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Permits aren't required if the homeowner does the job, at least in my state.
Though, if they ever sell the house, they best make sure things are up to
code or find ignorant buyers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"If you want to replace your water heater, you will need a permit."

"...Starting today, shoppers and contractors at select Las Vegas Home
Depot stores will have self-service kiosks available for the issuance
of certain building permits, according to an article in the Las Vegas
Review Journal."

Odd thing is some local officials want to do away with permitting a
WH. A DIY person, or Handyman will not get permits.

^^?

The above needs some explanation.

Many home owners do not even know a permit is required for a WH.

Ok, what is a WH? Oh, "water heater"? A permit is required to replace a
water heater? Amazing.

HO calls a pro services in emergency and the price is very high.

A plumber around here is advertising a 40 gal heater for $600, including
"basic" installation.

I'm not getting a permit on Sunday morning and do without hot water -
waiting for a stinking' permit.

Really!

Likely the same for a handyman, at least the county thinks so.

It cost more to operate the program than permit fees collected.

Poor planning.

People do not know of the requirement, some don't care.

Why would I?

Our local sheriff is considering stopping hand gun registration. One
County Commissioner agrees. Me too.

Will guns still need to be registered? I see a problem, here.

No. Not if it takes place. Only two counties in my state require
registration of hand guns. Long guns are exempted in the entire state.

I'm still confused. If registration isn't required, why register? ...or is
there a problem with the two counties if you don't register it? Here people
get "registered" (CCL) not guns. For some reason I had to fill out a yellow
sheet for my last gun purchase (a month ago), though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 19:09:06 -0400, "
wrote:

No. Not if it takes place. Only two counties in my state require
registration of hand guns. Long guns are exempted in the entire state.

I'm still confused. If registration isn't required, why register? ...or is
there a problem with the two counties if you don't register it? Here people
get "registered" (CCL) not guns. For some reason I had to fill out a yellow
sheet for my last gun purchase (a month ago), though.

I don't know why. Nevada is open carry in all but two counties. You
presently have to register your hand guns in X- days moving into
them. That means it inhibits my being able open carry on the Strip.
(police will check your registration).

I don't need a CCL because open carry is legal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Our local sheriff is considering stopping hand gun registration. One
County Commissioner agrees. Me too.

Will guns still need to be registered? I see a problem, here.

No. Not if it takes place. Only two counties in my state require
registration of hand guns. Long guns are exempted in the entire state.

It must suck to live in a state where any guns are registered or where
citizens must possess a license to own one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sadly, many people are.
http://offgridsurvival.com/gunbansafterelection/
Going there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:49:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

Our local sheriff is considering stopping hand gun registration. One
County Commissioner agrees. Me too.

Don't go there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:49:07 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

I'm still confused. If registration isn't required, why register?
...or is there a problem with the two counties if you don't register
it? Here people get "registered" (CCL) not guns. For some reason I
had to fill out a yellow sheet for my last gun purchase (a month
ago), though.

The yellow sheet was ATF Form 4474. It, and the informtion on it, stays with
the seller unless and until he goes out of business.

Sure but there wasn't any need to fill it out.

In my state, and a few others, if you have a CHL (CCL), the dealer does NOT
make the call to the NICS to verify you are permitted to buy a gun.

They're not supposed to have to here, either, nor fill out the yellow sheet
(which isn't yellow, here).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:45:42 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Oren wrote:

Our local sheriff is considering stopping hand gun registration. One
County Commissioner agrees. Me too.

Will guns still need to be registered? I see a problem, here.

No. Not if it takes place. Only two counties in my state require
registration of hand guns. Long guns are exempted in the entire state.

It must suck to live in a state where any guns are registered or where
citizens must possess a license to own one.

I don't have to register guns nor is there any licensing for ownership. There
is a license required for concealed carry, though. It's a pain and rather
expensive ($70 for five years), so it's not as good as VT, AZ, or AK. It does
have the advantage of reciprocity that VT doesn't have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I'm still confused. If registration isn't required, why register?
...or is there a problem with the two counties if you don't register
it? Here people get "registered" (CCL) not guns. For some reason I
had to fill out a yellow sheet for my last gun purchase (a month
ago), though.

The yellow sheet was ATF Form 4474. It, and the informtion on it,
stays with the seller unless and until he goes out of business.

Sure but there wasn't any need to fill it out.

In my state, and a few others, if you have a CHL (CCL), the dealer
does NOT make the call to the NICS to verify you are permitted to
buy a gun.

They're not supposed to have to here, either, nor fill out the yellow
sheet (which isn't yellow, here).

Er, no. Form 4473 (not 4474 as previously thought) is required to be
completed before a Federal Firearms License holder (the dealer) can sell the
weapon.

Code of Federal Regulations: 478.124 Firearms transaction record.

"(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall
not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to
any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the
transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a
firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the
disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose
of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is
returned to the person from whom received."

But you ARE right - the form is not yellow. It's more of a dusky goldenrod.

Cut us some slack, though. We men know the names of about eight primary
colors. Women have more names for "tan" than the Eskimos have for "snow."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[...]

GA and FL, anyway, are supposed to have a route around that with their CCL
process.

Code of Federal Regulations: 478.124 Firearms transaction record.

"(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall
not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to
any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the
transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a
firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the
disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose
of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is
returned to the person from whom received."

But you ARE right - the form is not yellow. It's more of a dusky goldenrod.

This one was gray. Not a hint of color on it (well, before the blue ink).

Cut us some slack, though. We men know the names of about eight primary
colors. Women have more names for "tan" than the Eskimos have for "snow."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[...]

Again, Er, no. If a state CCL meets certain federal requirements, the CCL
(CHL) holder is exempt from the FBI NICS check to determine whether the
buyer is ineligible to purchase a firearm. That regulation has nought to do
with the ATF requirement that gun sales from FFL dealers be recorded on a
form 4473.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2012 1:26 PM, HeyBub wrote:
[...]

no it doesn't suck, we just ignore them.

--
Steve Barker