Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Overlooked by many DIYourselfer's

On 10/17/2012 1:26 PM, HeyBub wrote:
"For the do-it-yourself remodeler, obtaining permits is expensive,
time-consuming and sometimes frustrating, but for many home renovations it's
necessary and required. Some municipalities charge 1% of the total
construction costs to issue the permit and may take up to six weeks to
complete the inspections. That's time and money that some homeowners don't
have. Many homeowners sidestep the permit process as a result."

Examples:
"...cutting a hole for a new window..."
"Even something as simple as moving an outlet requires a permit."
"Most municipalities require a permit for siding projects."
"If you want to replace your water heater, you will need a permit."
"You'll need a permit to unclog a toilet or sink drain" (just kidding)

http://homes.yahoo.com/news/home-imp...e-permits.html

Must really suck to live in a community that requires permits for anything
more involved than painting the hallway.

no it doesn't suck, we just ignore them.

--
Steve Barker