Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic tank - is this normal?

Before automatic washing machines, everything that went into the septic tank was biodegradable and septic tank systems lasted forever. About the time of the invention of wash machines two important things happened. First, was the development of laundry soaps that prevented septic tanks from working. National law stopped this quickly. Second, was the invention of non-biodegradable clothing fibers. The clothing fiber problem was never resolved and is a larger problem today than ever before. These fibers will not settle in your tank and end up plugging your drain field. The only good news is you can use 300 micron washing machine lint trap filters to stop them from continuing to destroy your septic system.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
Before automatic washing machines, everything that went into the septic
tank was biodegradable and septic tank systems lasted forever. About the
time of the invention of wash machines two important things happened.
First, was the development of laundry soaps that prevented septic tanks
from working. National law stopped this quickly. Second, was the
invention of non-biodegradable clothing fibers. The clothing fiber
problem was never resolved and is a larger problem today than ever before.
These fibers will not settle in your tank and end up plugging your drain
field. The only good news is you can use 300 micron washing machine lint
trap filters to stop them from continuing to destroy your septic system.

I agree that synthetic fibers can cause the leach field to become plugged
with a matt of fibers. That is why, for decades, I have diverted all washing
machine discharges to another drainage system for disposal on the advise of
a septic tank pump truck operator. My system is now 42 years old and still
working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Old country wisdom sure works, most of the time.

Doesn't he get tired of you discharging your
system all over his advice?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"EXT" wrote in message news:50783af0$0$29947

I agree that synthetic fibers can cause the leach field
to become plugged with a matt of fibers. That is why,
for decades, I have diverted all washing machine
discharges to another drainage system for disposal
on the advise of a septic tank pump truck operator.
My system is now 42 years old and still working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2012 11:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Old country wisdom sure works, most of the time.

Doesn't he get tired of you discharging your
system all over his advice?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I smell a spammer.

Must say that I just had mine pumped out after 5 years with no problems.
System is ~35 year old. Doubt if much if any fiber gets down the drain.
Only advice I had from a pumper about 10 years ago was to just use
liquid detergents as they left less of a waxy film on top of the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2012 10:43 AM, EXT wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Agreed. Clothes wash water has no place in the septic system.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Sure beats the basement floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:58:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Old country wisdom sure works, most of the time.

Doesn't he get tired of you discharging your
system all over his advice?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The biggest cause of septic tank plugging is Jesus. He enters a human
body, someone ****s him in the toilet, and he goes down the drain where
he clogs up the tank and pipes. If you want to find Jesus, enter your
septic tank and PRAY!!! Jesus will resemble a common turd. You will
soon find Jesus after the methane gas enters your lungs.

---
Destroy The Mormon Cult
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Before automatic washing machines, everything that went into the septic tank was biodegradable and septic tank systems lasted forever. About the time of the invention of wash machines two important things happened. First, was the development of laundry soaps that prevented septic tanks from working. National law stopped this quickly. Second, was the invention of non-biodegradable clothing fibers. The clothing fiber problem was never resolved and is a larger problem today than ever before. These fibers will not settle in your tank and end up plugging your drain field. The only good news is you can use 300 micron washing machine lint trap filters to stop them from continuing to destroy your septic system.
We had our septic tank service recently www.maxhhaassepticservice.com and were told that bleach and detergents from our washer had caused quite a few problems with our system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 12:03*pm, Jhall wrote:
;2942539 Wrote:

[...]

Our septic service company warned that soaps and especially bleach
tend to stop the septic system's action. To make up for it, he said
either eat a lot so you can add directly, or add sugar or can of
dogfood now and then - down the drain, don't eat it yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
On Nov 13, 12:03 pm, Jhall wrote:
;2942539 Wrote:

[...]

My parents, about 40 years ago, were told to buy about 5 pounds of cheap
ground pork, leave it unrefrigerated for several days until it is ripe, then
flush down.

septic tank leedsbob UK diy 17 February 21st 12 04:37 PM
Septic Tank Questions Art Todesco Home Repair 12 September 26th 09 11:43 AM
Septic Tank Repair [email protected] Home Repair 18 November 29th 07 04:42 PM
No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 09:09 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM