Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quiet low profile ceiling fan?

I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2012 10:21 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.

Bet you have a fan with an even number of blades. Impossible to balance.
that is probably the source of noise. Get a fan with and odd number of
blades and follow their balancing instructions. You should never be able
to hear the fan at low speed.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/12 1:29 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 9/28/2012 10:21 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.

Bet you have a fan with an even number of blades. Impossible to balance.
that is probably the source of noise. Get a fan with and odd number of
blades and follow their balancing instructions. You should never be able
to hear the fan at low speed.

Paul

Why is that?

--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Paul Drahn wrote in
:

On 9/28/2012 10:21 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.

Bet you have a fan with an even number of blades. Impossible to
balance. that is probably the source of noise. Get a fan with and odd
number of blades and follow their balancing instructions. You should
never be able to hear the fan at low speed.

Paul

I bought a Harbor Breeze fan recently. It is silent. Takes 5 minutes to
spin down to a stop from lowest speed. But the light cover is a pain.
It fell off and broke into thousands of pieces when I pulled the light
switch chain. Took months to get a free replacement, and I am afraid to
put it on, because of the cheezy way it is attached.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 12:21*pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. *I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? *My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. *Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
seconds to several minutes. *His favorite are the ones that
rattle. *He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

I used a dropped/suspended style fan, but directly mounted it to the
ceiling to get the clearance I wanted. Took a little figuring out how
to do it, but if you're at all mechanically inclined it should not be
a big deal. The only negative is that now any fan noise is directly
connected to the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/2012 12:29 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 9/28/2012 10:21 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.

Bet you have a fan with an even number of blades. Impossible to balance.
that is probably the source of noise. Get a fan with and odd number of
blades and follow their balancing instructions. You should never be able
to hear the fan at low speed.

Paul

I know my 5-blade fan (over the bed) is quiet. I didn't know it was
because it's odd.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"No one would have remembered the good Samaritan if he'd only had good
intentions. He had money as well." [Margaret Thatcher]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/2012 02:23 PM, Han wrote:
[snip]

I bought a Harbor Breeze fan recently. It is silent. Takes 5 minutes to
spin down to a stop from lowest speed. But the light cover is a pain.
It fell off and broke into thousands of pieces when I pulled the light
switch chain. Took months to get a free replacement, and I am afraid to
put it on, because of the cheezy way it is attached.

I installed 5 5-blade fans a few years ago. 2 of them don't have the
light kits installed. They're not in the same place as the ceiling light.

BTW, $30 each (in about 2000) at K-Mart. They've been good fans.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"No one would have remembered the good Samaritan if he'd only had good
intentions. He had money as well." [Margaret Thatcher]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 3:23*pm, Han wrote:
Paul Drahn wrote :

[...]

I think mine is a Hampton Bay that I got from HD over
10 years ago. It only cost me about $60. It can be
mounted low profile and I have it in the bedroom. It's
almost totally silent, as quiet as any fan I've ever heard.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

On Sep 28, 3:23*pm, Han wrote:
Paul Drahn wrote
innews:k44mqi$osr$2@dont-email

.me:

[...]

That makes the $105 Harbor Breeze fan I bought this summer at Lowes
pretty cheap.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
"hr(bob) " wrote:

I used a dropped/suspended style fan, but directly mounted it to the
ceiling to get the clearance I wanted. Took a little figuring out how
to do it, but if you're at all mechanically inclined it should not be
a big deal. The only negative is that now any fan noise is directly
connected to the ceiling.

I should have mentioned that I cannot install a fan. I will have to
have it installed. I do not have a ceiling light in my bedroom. I
do have an attic above the room.

I think that Home Depot installs fans. Does Lowes also install
fans? I very much want a remote controlled fan.

I notice that Lowes does not list the fan height of their Harbor
Breeze fans.

So far, I have only found one Home Depot Hampton Bay ceiling fan
that is low profile. Their Hampton Bay Hugger 52 in. White Ceiling
Fan Model # AL383-WH is listed as Distance from Ceiling to Bottom of
Fan (In.) 12.99. It is $34.97 Each and does not include a remote
control.

Expand your search. Lowes and HD are not the only places to buy ceiling
fans and, from my experience, their staff people are not particularly well
trained on such products. Check out a couple of local lighting showrooms
instead. The staff is typically better trained and they understand how the
whole package goes together -- fan, control and installation. Showrooms
often mount fans on a wall or low ceiling so that you can listen to them in
a quiet area and check out the construction quality.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2012 1:21 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.

After you buy a $50 fan from the McBigBox store and you find it makes
too much noise, buy a truly quiet fan!

http://www.casablancafanco.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:04:31 -0400, Harvey Specter
wrote:

On 9/28/2012 1:21 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the
noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can
I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight
feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into
the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.

After you buy a $50 fan from the McBigBox store and you find it makes
too much noise, buy a truly quiet fan!

http://www.casablancafanco.com

Or if you want to move some air:

http://www.bigassfans.com/residential/index.html

;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

Or if you want to move some air:

http://www.bigassfans.com/residential/index.html

I have a bedroom that is about 12 feet by 12 feet with an eight foot
ceiling. I do not think that any of the fans at that url would be
suitable for me.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 19:35:02 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

" wrote:

Or if you want to move some air:

http://www.bigassfans.com/residential/index.html

I have a bedroom that is about 12 feet by 12 feet with an eight foot
ceiling. I do not think that any of the fans at that url would be
suitable for me.

Unless somebody names an actual fan, you'll probably end up throwing a
dart.
I put up 4 cheap low profile ceiling fans I bought a big box stores.
I'm guessing low profile means right on the ceiling without hanging on
a rod.
The one in my bedroom has a noticeable motor hum on low speed and
pushes enough air. It's a 4'. The others don't hum, but maybe we
just don't hear them because they're not over a bed. They're 3' and
don't push air well IMO. Probably blade design, because they turn
plenty fast.
I was just at my sister's condo in Florida, and her inside fans are
dead quiet and really move air. They have blades something like this
http://www.houzz.com/photos/modern/ceiling-fans/p/210
I couldn't find a ceiling fan image with the same blades, and my wife
says she doesn't see them in the stores any more..
OTOH, the flat-blade square-tipped blades on the lanai ceiling fan
make a loud whoosh.
Got any darts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

The Modern Fan Co. makes some excellent products. I have the "Stratos"
models in three bedrooms. They've been used for some 10 years now and all
have remained completely quiet. They're not "hugger" fans though. The
blades are about 15 inches below the ceiling.

Tomsic