Mike Barnard

Default QUIET ceiling switch?

The ceiling switch in my bathroom is as noisy as hell. Pull the cord
to turn on the light and it makes a very loud "kerching" noise. No,
you can't have a better description!

During the day it's not so bad, you get used to it, but at night it
can wake up my son who sleeps in the room next to the bathroom.

So, who makes a switch thats quiet? I've been in to my local branch
of CEF and tried thiers and I've been to the sheds. They all seem
noisy. (The current one is a Wikes own brand and nearly new). Is it
inherent in the design of the switchgear?

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

Lurch

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:21:36 +0000, Mike Barnard
strung together this:

So, who makes a switch thats quiet?

The Legrand ceiling switches are fairly quiet. There is the dimmable
pull switch available from http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk that is
silent but isn't just a on\off switch.
--

SJW
John Rumm

Mike Barnard wrote:

The ceiling switch in my bathroom is as noisy as hell. Pull the cord
to turn on the light and it makes a very loud "kerching" noise. No,
you can't have a better description!

Depends on how quiet you want it...

I used on of these recently:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM2781.html

And it is much quieter than many, it gives a single click when pulled
rather than the more common "click clack" type of action.

If you want silent, then you may need to look at one of the pull cord
dimmers.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Barnard wrote:
So, who makes a switch thats quiet? I've been in to my local branch
of CEF and tried thiers and I've been to the sheds. They all seem
noisy. (The current one is a Wikes own brand and nearly new). Is it
inherent in the design of the switchgear?

I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one outside the
bathroom - if necessary.

However, IIRC, TLC do a dimmer version which is silent in operation - and
suitable for loads up to 250 watts of mains or LV, but not obviously any
type of low energy or fluorescent.

Its part number is TL PCD51 and costs 17.99 + vat.

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Tony Eva

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one outside the
bathroom - if necessary.

A kindred spirit! My builder looked at me very oddly when I said I
wanted the bathroom light switches outside on the wall, but I was
paying, so he shrugged and did it.

I can live with the remote possibility of somebody accidentally (or
deliberately) turning off the lights while I'm in there, if it means
avoiding those horrible dangly bits of string :-)

--
Tony
Rob Nicholson

During the day it's not so bad, you get used to it, but at night it
can wake up my son who sleeps in the room next to the bathroom.

On a similar vein, anyone recommend a source of quiet ceiling fans for
bathroom. The one I've got fitted sounds like a jumbo jet when it turns on
(automatically) with the light. Wakes everyone up and isn't conducive to a
relaxing bath.

Thanks, Rob.

Frank Erskine

wrote:

The ceiling switch in my bathroom is as noisy as hell. Pull the cord
to turn on the light and it makes a very loud "kerching" noise. No,
you can't have a better description!

During the day it's not so bad, you get used to it, but at night it
can wake up my son who sleeps in the room next to the bathroom.

So, who makes a switch thats quiet? I've been in to my local branch
of CEF and tried thiers and I've been to the sheds. They all seem
noisy. (The current one is a Wikes own brand and nearly new). Is it
inherent in the design of the switchgear?

Sheltered homes for the elderly frequently have emergency "pull-cord"
alarm switches. I don't know whether these are "momentary" action or
"latching", but they are silent. I should imagine any wholesaler or
proper retail outlet would be able to source these "no problem".

If they are "momentary" you may be able to buy or build yourself a
switching box to toggle the light on or off.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Lurch

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:12:26 GMT, "Rob Nicholson"
strung together this:

On a similar vein, anyone recommend a source of quiet ceiling fans for
bathroom. The one I've got fitted sounds like a jumbo jet when it turns on
(automatically) with the light. Wakes everyone up and isn't conducive to a
relaxing bath.

Inline fan somewhere else is much better than one in the bathroom. Try
a Vent-Axia.
--

SJW
Lurch

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 23:20:30 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
strung together this:

Sheltered homes for the elderly frequently have emergency "pull-cord"
alarm switches. I don't know whether these are "momentary" action or
"latching", but they are silent. I should imagine any wholesaler or
proper retail outlet would be able to source these "no problem".

They are 12V momentary usually, most definitely are if the ones you
have seen are silent.
--

SJW

Mike Barnard

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:21:36 +0000, Mike Barnard
wrote:

Just a quick follow up before I go to bed. Thanks to all and I just
may consider moving the switch outside.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
brugnospamsia

"Tony Eva" wrote in message ...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one outside the
bathroom - if necessary.

A kindred spirit! My builder looked at me very oddly when I said I wanted
the bathroom light switches outside on the wall, but I was paying, so he
shrugged and did it.

I can live with the remote possibility of somebody accidentally (or
deliberately) turning off the lights while I'm in there, if it means
avoiding those horrible dangly bits of string :-)

But can you live with the admittedly lowish risk that someone with really
wet hands (or the person who follows them) gets a belt from the switch ?

Maybe it's because I have childhood memories of getting a shock from a light
switch in my parents' kitchen.

Tony Eva

brugnospamsia wrote:
But can you live with the admittedly lowish risk that someone with really
wet hands (or the person who follows them) gets a belt from the switch ?

Well, to be honest, yes I can. First of all, that's true of any switch
in a room with a basin or sink (like a kitchen, or a utility room), but
mainly I don't subscribe to the "remove every tiny weeny bit of risk
from life" view - IMHO, it's what has allowed Part P into our lives.

Maybe it's because I have childhood memories of getting a shock from a light
switch in my parents' kitchen.

Everyone is entitled to their own view. I'm not wishing to criticise
you at all - but if you bought my house, I'm afraid you'd have to move
the bathroom light switches :-)

--
Tony
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
brugnospamsia wrote:
I can live with the remote possibility of somebody accidentally (or
deliberately) turning off the lights while I'm in there, if it means
avoiding those horrible dangly bits of string :-)

But can you live with the admittedly lowish risk that someone with
really wet hands (or the person who follows them) gets a belt from the
switch ?

Maybe it's because I have childhood memories of getting a shock from a
light switch in my parents' kitchen.

Where IMHO it is more likely. But no regs about cord switches.

I also wonder about the health aspects of those cord thingies.

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Christian McArdle

I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one outside the
bathroom - if necessary.

I'm the same way and did exactly that in my last house.,

However, in some cases, it may now even be permissible to put them on the
wall inside the bathroom. Unfortunately, this isn't the case on my new house
(too proximate to the bath), so it will gain an outside switch at some
point...

Christian.

Tim S

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:41:44 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one outside
the bathroom - if necessary.

I'm the same way and did exactly that in my last house.,

However, in some cases, it may now even be permissible to put them on the
wall inside the bathroom. Unfortunately, this isn't the case on my new
house (too proximate to the bath), so it will gain an outside switch at
some point...

Christian.

Would it be permissable to use a water proof wall switch (the sort with a
membrane over the rocker) in a bathroom (I forget the definition of zone
1,2 etc, but on the wall by the door within 1m of the bath and basin but
2m from the shower)? Not as pretty though...

Tim
Tim S

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:16:27 +0000, Tim S wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:41:44 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one outside
the bathroom - if necessary.

I'm the same way and did exactly that in my last house.,

However, in some cases, it may now even be permissible to put them on
the wall inside the bathroom. Unfortunately, this isn't the case on my
new house (too proximate to the bath), so it will gain an outside switch
at some point...

Christian.

Would it be permissable to use a water proof wall switch (the sort with a
membrane over the rocker) in a bathroom (I forget the definition of zone
1,2 etc, but on the wall by the door within 1m of the bath and basin but
2m from the shower)? Not as pretty though...

Tim

Though I just thought that perhaps such a switch isn't actually totally
waterproof, or at least the metal clad box it fits isn't. I've only seen
them fitted outside but protected from direct rain, in for example, a
porch and under a car port.

A full monty waterproof switch would be fairly ugly (unless you like the
bathroom looking like the inside of a submarine).

Question still stands though with provisos.

Tim

wrote:

Just a quick follow up before I go to bed. Thanks to all and I just
may consider moving the switch outside.

Since that probably means rewiring, there is what would likely be a
simpler solution.

1. Remove the noisy spring, replace it with something weaker so it
operates, but no noisiness.
2. The switch is now no longer 240v rated, so add a miniature 1.1w
transformer and a relay. The mains switch only switches 9v etc, the
relay switches the mains. Mount relay in place with silicone.

There might be another way as well, de[pensing on how its put together:

1. remove the switch inside the case and glue it back with silicone,
which is flexible, non noise tranmitting, and noise absorbing.
2. Remove fitting from ceiling and replace again using silicone rather
than screws - same deal.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
Would it be permissable to use a water proof wall switch (the sort with a
membrane over the rocker) in a bathroom (I forget the definition of zone
1,2 etc, but on the wall by the door within 1m of the bath and basin but
2m from the shower)? Not as pretty though...

If you were really concerned, a low voltage coil stepping relay would be
one answer. Or perhaps an isolating transformer in the lighting feed to
that room.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Bolt one of theose external weatherproof switches to the wall :-)

I lived in Germany for a while, where they have a lot of rules, and the
light switch in the bathroom was a regular switch next to the open
unswitched power outlet. It was open 'cos the washing machine was
plugged in at the other end of the bathroom.

Mike Barnes

wrote:

Just a quick follow up before I go to bed. Thanks to all and I just
may consider moving the switch outside.

Since that probably means rewiring, there is what would likely be a
simpler solution.

1. Remove the noisy spring, replace it with something weaker so it
operates, but no noisiness.
2. The switch is now no longer 240v rated, so add a miniature 1.1w
transformer and a relay. The mains switch only switches 9v etc, the
relay switches the mains. Mount relay in place with silicone.

There might be another way as well, de[pensing on how its put together:

1. remove the switch inside the case and glue it back with silicone,
which is flexible, non noise tranmitting, and noise absorbing.
2. Remove fitting from ceiling and replace again using silicone rather
than screws - same deal.

What I don't understand is: In decades long past, ceiling switches all
worked with a discreet click. We have an old switch in one of the
bedrooms and no-one would complain about it being noisy. But all modern
switches have a loud twang. Why the change?

--
Mike Barnes
Lurch

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:07:13 +0000, Mike Barnes
strung together this:

What I don't understand is: In decades long past, ceiling switches all
worked with a discreet click. We have an old switch in one of the
bedrooms and no-one would complain about it being noisy. But all modern
switches have a loud twang. Why the change?

They've not changed, in the olden days some were noisy, some weren't,
just like todays range of switches.
--

SJW
Mike Barnard

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:12:45 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:07:13 +0000, Mike Barnes
strung together this:

What I don't understand is: In decades long past, ceiling switches all
worked with a discreet click. We have an old switch in one of the
bedrooms and no-one would complain about it being noisy. But all modern
switches have a loud twang. Why the change?

They've not changed, in the olden days some were noisy, some weren't,
just like todays range of switches.

Personally, I reckon that they're made to do the job, to the
electrical specs, as cheaply as possible. Sound doesn't seem to be on
the agenda. Is it just me or is it such a NOISY world now.

fx Walks off stage left, mumbling to self about the old days...

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Andy Wade

Tim S wrote:

Would it be permissable to use a water proof wall switch (the sort with a
membrane over the rocker) in a bathroom (I forget the definition of zone
1,2 etc, but on the wall by the door within 1m of the bath and basin but
2m from the shower)? Not as pretty though...

You can use an ordinary switch in Zone 3 - i.e. more than 600mm from the
nearest edge of the bath or shower tray. Switchgear closer to the bath
than that needs to be SELV, not exceeding a nominal 12 V AC (or 30V DC).

--
Andy

Andy Wade

Lurch wrote:

They've not changed, in the olden days some were noisy, some weren't,
just like todays range of switches.

I suspect it's ceilings that have changed, not switches. Plasterboard
makes a good resonant sounding board whilst inch-thick lath and plaster
has more mass and more damping, and hence has much more sound deadening
effect.

--
Andy
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Lurch writes:
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 23:20:30 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
strung together this:

Sheltered homes for the elderly frequently have emergency "pull-cord"
alarm switches. I don't know whether these are "momentary" action or
"latching", but they are silent. I should imagine any wholesaler or
proper retail outlet would be able to source these "no problem".

They are 12V momentary usually, most definitely are if the ones you
have seen are silent.

The switches are usually rated 6A mains, although they are
probably run on 12V or 24V systems. They come with red pull
cords long enough to reach the floor (so you can still pull
them if you're on the floor). Often have a red triangle
rather than the more normal acorn, and sometimes two (for
one at normal height, one at near floor level). You can
swap for a more normal pull cord though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mike Barnard writes:
The ceiling switch in my bathroom is as noisy as hell. Pull the cord
to turn on the light and it makes a very loud "kerching" noise. No,
you can't have a better description!

During the day it's not so bad, you get used to it, but at night it
can wake up my son who sleeps in the room next to the bathroom.

So, who makes a switch thats quiet? I've been in to my local branch
of CEF and tried thiers and I've been to the sheds. They all seem
noisy. (The current one is a Wikes own brand and nearly new). Is it
inherent in the design of the switchgear?

Thanks for any pointers.

What about using an occupancy sensor rather than a switch?

--
Andrew Gabriel
brugnospamsia

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Lurch wrote:

They've not changed, in the olden days some were noisy, some weren't,
just like todays range of switches.

I suspect it's ceilings that have changed, not switches. Plasterboard
makes a good resonant sounding board whilst inch-thick lath and plaster
has more mass and more damping, and hence has much more sound deadening
effect.

I just went upstairs and unscrewed the cover of my 20-plus year old MK which
makes a fairly loud noise.
I had assumed it was the cylindrical housing that was resonating, but it
turns out the switch is mounted on a quite minimal and rigid escutcheon and
makes as much noise when operated in mid-air .

On the positive side the switch has operated faultlessly all 20 years I've
been in the house ...

.... maybe I could melt some pitch into the voids and make up a sorbothane
washer ...... probably needs a diffused OUTER surface since it's high
frequencies we're talking about .....

It was never a problem for me before and I had plans to use more than one in
the kitchen, but I will be now become obsessed with designing an alternative
!!

30 years ago in the summer holidays I helped a French pharmacist set up his
new shop and if I remember correctly all his lighting was switched by relays
in a big cabinet on the landing.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Barnard wrote:
Personally, I reckon that they're made to do the job, to the
electrical specs, as cheaply as possible. Sound doesn't seem to be on
the agenda. Is it just me or is it such a NOISY world now.

Many years ago, there was a range of near silent light switches, and
advertised as such. IIRC, GEC 'Mutak' or similar?

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
brugnospamsia wrote:
30 years ago in the summer holidays I helped a French pharmacist set up
his new shop and if I remember correctly all his lighting was switched
by relays in a big cabinet on the landing.

Would make some aspects of wiring easy, because if the coils were low
voltage you could use cable similar to phone stuff for the switch runs.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike Clarke

In article , Mike Barnard
wrote:

The ceiling switch in my bathroom is as noisy as hell. Pull the cord
to turn on the light and it makes a very loud "kerching" noise. No,
you can't have a better description!

During the day it's not so bad, you get used to it, but at night it can
wake up my son who sleeps in the room next to the bathroom.

How about fitting a low energy bulb and just leaving it on all night?

--
Mike Clarke

brugnospamsia wrote:
"Tony Eva" wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one

outside the
bathroom - if necessary.

A kindred spirit! My builder looked at me very oddly when I said I

wanted
the bathroom light switches outside on the wall, but I was paying,

so he
shrugged and did it.

I can live with the remote possibility of somebody accidentally (or

deliberately) turning off the lights while I'm in there, if it

means
avoiding those horrible dangly bits of string :-)

But can you live with the admittedly lowish risk that someone with

really
wet hands (or the person who follows them) gets a belt from the

switch ?

So what about the light switch for the bedroom next to the bathroom?
It's just as likely that someone coming out of the bathroom with wet
hands could get a belt from there.

MBQ

Tony Eva wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I hate the b***dy things and would replace it with a wall one

outside the
bathroom - if necessary.

A kindred spirit! My builder looked at me very oddly when I said I
wanted the bathroom light switches outside on the wall,

I can live with the remote possibility of somebody accidentally (or
deliberately) turning off the lights while I'm in there, if it means
avoiding those horrible dangly bits of string :-)

eek.

Try hanging a heavy cast aluminium light pull from the 'dangly bit of
string' to make the newly refurbed bathroom look nice & finished off.

Cue my girlfriend shaking out a towel in there and getting the end
caught up in the string, whipping the aforementioned light pull into
just underneath her eye giving her a big shiner.

Pleased she was not :-0 !!

Cheers,

Paul.

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Colum Mylod wrote:
Occupancy sensors would have the same problem in loos as they do in
offices - people sit still for a while and plunge into the dark.

I've lived with those on occasion - they're no problem, just wave to the
light and it comes back on again. I imagine it isn't as annoying as it
would be in an office (but I don't read in the loo), and there's less
chance that you're sitting in a sensor blind spot.

--
Mike Barnes
brugnospamsia

wrote in message
oups.com...

brugnospamsia wrote:
"Tony Eva" wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I hadn't thought of that since my house isn't laid out that way, but I will
now have to give some thought to making all the lights in my house operable
with no risk of electric shock
:-)

Maybe it's cos I'm about to hit 45 and I live alone, but since I'm
completely overhauling my house, it seems foolish not to make it as safe as
possible ....