Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slippery Pipe

I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Moly chain lube? Clear silicone? Whale blubber? Skunk scent? Cayanne pepper
spray? Eau de vomite?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 8:19*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Moly chain lube? Clear silicone? Whale blubber? Skunk scent? Cayanne pepper
spray? Eau de vomite?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

CCTV camera to confirm the "assumption" of
people climbing the pipe... Before stupidly applying
stuff to the pipe which would need to be reapplied
after a couple of rainfall events...

If CCTV confirms people are climbing the pipe,
enclosing pipe in some kind of battlements
designed not to be climbable or some type
of barrier of the same unclimbable nature
on the edge of the roof would be better than
smearing something on the pipe which could
cause injuries to those attempting the climb...

How tall is the building in question ?

If it is within reach of a ladder don't rule
out people bringing their own ladder to access
the roof...

What pray tell is on the roof that anyone would
be interested in climbing up to ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/12 8:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Moly chain lube? Clear silicone? Whale blubber? Skunk scent? Cayanne pepper
spray? Eau de vomite?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

A few turns of razor wire ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/12 7:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Moly chain lube? Clear silicone? Whale blubber? Skunk scent? Cayanne pepper
spray? Eau de vomite?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Would some sort of a cone shaped device work? There are anti
climb collars and paint available.

Senior Member

This sounds like a job for Tanglefoot.

In entomology, the life cycle of some insects (including beetles) that can't fly involves crawling up the bark of a tree to lay their eggs in the relatively soft leaves of the tree. The problem is that often those beetles can introduce diseases into the tree, like Dutch Elm Disease, that can kill the tree. One way that's been developed to protect the trees from that hazard is by smearing Tanglefoot around the tree trunk.

Tanglefoot is like a weather resistant sticky gunk that never dries up and doesn't wash off with water. (I expect mineral spirits would dissolve it.)

When an insect tries to crawl over Tanglefoot, it's legs get stuck in the stuff, and being unable to move, it becomes an easy meal for birds.

This stuff is horrible to deal with, and no kid is going to want to get it all over himself. Just wrap any wide tape rated for outdoor applications around the pipe, and then smear Tanglefoot all over the tape with a paint mixing stick, and that'll solve the problem for sure.

I expect most Lawn & Garden places would sell Tanglefoot or be able to order it for you. Alternatively, contact any of the organizations in your city involved in saving trees from insects (like the Gypsy moth or cankerworms from eating all the tree leaves) and make a charitible tax deductable donation, and they'll give you some Tanglefoot free of charge if they know that's what you're after. They give it out free to their volunteers to band trees with anyway.

Last edited by nestork : September 26th 12 at 05:53 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 1:19*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Moly chain lube? Clear silicone? Whale blubber? Skunk scent? Cayanne pepper
spray? Eau de vomite?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

You can get "anti-climb" paint in the UK.
Like tar,horrible to get on the hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-climb_paint
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't want to be obvious about it.

Though, a building a couple miles away does just that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Retired" wrote in message

A few turns of razor wire ??

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen collars to keep squirrels off. Npt sure about teenagers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message

Would some sort of a cone shaped device work?
There are anti
climb collars and paint available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , cayoung61
says...

I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Axle grease, apply with paper towel or gloves. Get at auto parts store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Axle grease, apply with paper towel or gloves. Get at auto parts store.

Waterproof marine grease.

I keep thinking of poop.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 20:19:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Cover the pipes with Mormon Semen. The Semen from a Mormon is very
slippery. Just ask Mitt Romney's wife. Mitt's dick is so slippery that
she slid off his dick in Washington DC, and they found her in GW Bush's
bed in Texas only minutes later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:34:03 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 9/25/12 8:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids
may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the
building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to
local teens?

Moly chain lube? Clear silicone? Whale blubber? Skunk scent? Cayanne pepper
spray? Eau de vomite?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

A few turns of razor wire ??

Just connect the pipe to the electrical mains. 220volts will normally
stop anyone's heart. Once they're dead, the cops will know who they are
and can arrest their parents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Poop has advantages, but it would be a bit
too obvious, due to the smell.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message
Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing
local teens?

Axle grease, apply with paper towel or gloves. Get at auto parts store.

Waterproof marine grease.

I keep thinking of poop.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that
kids may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some
pipes outside the building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less
appealing to local teens?

Axle grease, apply with paper towel or gloves. Get at auto parts
store.

There are several "anti-climbing" and "anti-vandal" paints referenced by
Google. Regrettably, all that I've found are sold only in the UK! They are
so common that many municipalities have laws against using them at a height
less than two meters, presumably to minimize accidental contact. Some towns
even require posting a sign "Warning: Anti-climbing paint!" I take this sign
to mean the stuff is so prevalent that most everybody knows what the sign
means.

The common characteristics of these paints seem to be:
1. Slickery
2. Will permanently stain skin or organic cloth (cotton, wool, etc.)
3. Last up to two years

Seems like an excellent opportunity for an importer or paint company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spray can of white grease... problem solved

Michael Lalonde
Sudbury, Ontario
Jumler catering

Posted to alt.home.repair

You, I like!

(Sorry, Smitty, that's probably bad grammer.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael Lalonde" wrote in message
Spray can of white grease... problem solved

Michael Lalonde
Sudbury, Ontario
Jumler catering

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You, I like!

(Sorry, Smitty, that's probably bad grammer.)

Grammer? Really? How ironic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2012 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've seen collars to keep squirrels off. Npt sure about teenagers.

High frequency sound generators that produce obnoxious sounds that only
young ears can detect have been used to deter teens from hanging out in
certain areas. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple decades ago, I read of a chain of convenience stores that had
problems with teens. The teens would loiter, litter, congregate, hang out,
and not spend any money. The good paying customers were the adults, and
elderly. After trying a lot of things, they found that very high mounted
speakers playing classical symphonic music drove the teens away. The adults
either didn't notice, or they enjoyed the music. Revenues went way up.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

High frequency sound generators that produce obnoxious sounds that only
young ears can detect have been used to deter teens from hanging out in
certain areas. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

A couple decades ago, I read of a chain of convenience stores that had
problems with teens. The teens would loiter, litter, congregate, hang out,
and not spend any money. The good paying customers were the adults, and
elderly. After trying a lot of things, they found that very high mounted
speakers playing classical symphonic music drove the teens away. The adults
either didn't notice, or they enjoyed the music. Revenues went way up.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Along the same lines...

A local garden variety restaurant/diner has this little outdoor covered
waiting/smoking area near the door.

As there's seldom much of a line, and so few smokers anymore, this
area's shelter & benches began attracting local homeless.

The solution was to up the music/PA volume to where it's definitely
annoying to dwell there.

Problem 100% solved, cleanly, with zero confrontations, bad press or any
other negative repercussions.

Occasionally, like for the Sunday after church busy periods when the
area is needed for waiting; the volume is simply reduced.

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have that problem with some restaurants. And, I'm not homeless. At the
moment.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Erik" wrote in message

Along the same lines...

A local garden variety restaurant/diner has this little outdoor covered
waiting/smoking area near the door.

As there's seldom much of a line, and so few smokers anymore, this
area's shelter & benches began attracting local homeless.

The solution was to up the music/PA volume to where it's definitely
annoying to dwell there.

Problem 100% solved, cleanly, with zero confrontations, bad press or any
other negative repercussions.

Occasionally, like for the Sunday after church busy periods when the
area is needed for waiting; the volume is simply reduced.

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 1:44*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bill wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

[...]

In fact you only need the warning notice in the UK. Enough to put
climbers off.

Non slippery stones Aaron Fude Home Repair 5 September 5th 09 07:50 PM
slippery ramp [email protected] Home Repair 13 February 6th 08 11:04 PM
Slippery Bathtub grinder Home Repair 3 January 17th 06 06:08 PM
Slippery slope David Woodworking 6 January 14th 06 04:34 AM
Slippery Elem W Canaday Woodturning 15 November 19th 05 04:22 AM