Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Non slippery stones

Hi,

I have a path made of (what I'm guessing is) keystone slats that goes
from the sidewalk to my house door. When it rains the stones become
*very* slick.

Is that the property of all stones or are some stones more slippery than
others? I'd like to stick with natural stone if possible.

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 4:49*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a path made of (what I'm guessing is) keystone slats that goes
from the sidewalk to my house door. When it rains the stones become
*very* slick.

Is that the property of all stones or are some stones more slippery than
others? I'd like to stick with natural stone if possible.

Thanks,

Aaron

Is it a new walk, I dont know what Keystone is but my old Limestone in
shade becomes moldy and slippery in a year or so, Muiatic acid and a
powerwash opened up the pores so I dont slip, now I just spray bleach
on it twice a year. Slate and moldy concrete is slipery when wet. If
its new and slippery , its the stone, but mold can grow quickly in
shady areas. Old slate can be like Ice, here some people have slate
sidewalks that are killers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I have a path made of (what I'm guessing is) keystone slats that goes
from the sidewalk to my house door. When it rains the stones become
*very* slick.

Is that the property of all stones or are some stones more slippery than
others? I'd like to stick with natural stone if possible.

Thanks,

Aaron

I presume that almost all slate id prepared by splitting along cleavage
planes, Purring such plates horizontally on a walk seems like a sure way
to slip.

I have no idea if it will work, and it is bound to cost by but try to
pieces of slate into the ground with the cleavage plane vertical. That
way, as the slate crumbles from usage, new rough surface gets exposed.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 2:49*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a path made of (what I'm guessing is) keystone slats that goes
from the sidewalk to my house door. When it rains the stones become
*very* slick.

Is that the property of all stones or are some stones more slippery than
others? I'd like to stick with natural stone if possible.

Thanks,

Aaron

The walk way / patio stones I've used are referred to as Arizona
Flagstone.
The material is some what rough and not slippery when wet when the
light tan / beige stones are used; grey or blue / green / grey stones
tend to be less rough and more prone to being slippery.

As Ransley mentions, any kind of slime / mold growth can be VERY
slippery.
Also drainage water can carry soil "fines" onto the stone & leave it
covered with a thin layer of slippery mud.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a path made of (what I'm guessing is) keystone slats that goes
from the sidewalk to my house door. When it rains the stones become
*very* slick.

Is that the property of all stones or are some stones more slippery
than others? I'd like to stick with natural stone if possible.

The smaller the particles making up the rock the smoother it is. The
smoother the stone the more slippery it is. For example, shale/slate is
smoother than sandstone/quartzite.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

slippery ramp [email protected] Home Repair 13 February 6th 08 11:04 PM
slippery tiles Adam Russell Home Repair 2 February 6th 06 05:17 PM
Slippery Bathtub grinder Home Repair 3 January 17th 06 06:08 PM
Slippery slope David Woodworking 6 January 14th 06 04:34 AM
Slippery Elem W Canaday Woodturning 15 November 19th 05 04:22 AM