Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plaster on trowels

hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.
--
Cal
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 22:30:17 -0600, Cal Dershowitz
wrote:

hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

Scrape it off with ANOTHER putty knife before it gets real hard. Do it
immediately after use.

Or dont get any plaster on your tools

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2012 11:30 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to
clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would
normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you
are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.

If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've
always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of
material off trowels.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

hello cd,

Heat the tool with a torch. The metal expands faster than the plaster.

Clean your tools while the plaster is still wet.

ng
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Cal Dershowitz" wrote in message
m...
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.
--
Cal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/10/2012 09:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Cal Dershowitz" wrote in message
m...
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

hello cd,

Heat the tool with a torch. The metal expands faster than the plaster.

I think a torch would work well. Thank you.

Clean your tools while the plaster is still wet.

ng
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I'm an ex-mo because I have an xtian conscience. Don't believe in
"translations" found at the bottom of some farmboy's hat.
--
Cal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/10/2012 03:21 AM, DanG wrote:
On 9/9/2012 11:30 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to
clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would
normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you
are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.

If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've
always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of
material off trowels.

I ended up using plastic trowels when it got down to the short strokes.
--
Cal
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/10/2012 03:21 AM, DanG wrote:
On 9/9/2012 11:30 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to
clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would
normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you
are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.

If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've
always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of
material off trowels.

I should get a proper razor-scraper again.
--
cal
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

When I'm plastering, I keep my trowels in a bucket of water, so the
residue doesn't set. I wipe them with a rag before use, because its
hard to get plaster to stick to a wet trowel.

Cleaning floats and trowels for plastering george [dicegeorge] UK diy 13 April 7th 16 09:16 PM
Attaching Plaster Board to err Plaster Board AJ UK diy 5 May 27th 08 04:22 PM
Plaster washers for lath and plaster repair atticus UK diy 1 August 21st 06 06:28 PM
Plaster Help Jim Lewis Home Repair 1 June 27th 06 01:48 AM
Paint over plaster. How to remove without damaging plaster. Zymurgy UK diy 6 August 28th 03 11:23 AM