DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   plaster on trowels (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/346239-plaster-trowels.html)

Cal Dershowitz September 10th 12 05:30 AM

plaster on trowels

hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.
--
Cal

[email protected] September 10th 12 07:02 AM

plaster on trowels

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 22:30:17 -0600, Cal Dershowitz
wrote:

hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

Scrape it off with ANOTHER putty knife before it gets real hard. Do it
immediately after use.

Or dont get any plaster on your tools :)

DanG[_2_] September 10th 12 10:21 AM

plaster on trowels

On 9/9/2012 11:30 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to
clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would
normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you
are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.

If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've
always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of
material off trowels.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Stormin Mormon[_7_] September 10th 12 04:26 PM

plaster on trowels

hello cd,

Heat the tool with a torch. The metal expands faster than the plaster.

Clean your tools while the plaster is still wet.

ng
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

m...

Cal Dershowitz September 17th 12 09:11 PM

plaster on trowels

On 09/10/2012 09:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Cal Dershowitz" wrote in message
m...
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

hello cd,

Heat the tool with a torch. The metal expands faster than the plaster.

I think a torch would work well. Thank you.

Clean your tools while the plaster is still wet.

ng
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I'm an ex-mo because I have an xtian conscience. Don't believe in
"translations" found at the bottom of some farmboy's hat.
--
Cal

Cal Dershowitz September 17th 12 09:12 PM

plaster on trowels

On 09/10/2012 03:21 AM, DanG wrote:
On 9/9/2012 11:30 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to
clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would
normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you
are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.

If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've
always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of
material off trowels.

I ended up using plastic trowels when it got down to the short strokes.
--
Cal

Cal Dershowitz September 17th 12 09:26 PM

plaster on trowels

wrote:

hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

Scrape it off with ANOTHER putty knife before it gets real hard. Do it
immediately after use.

Or dont get any plaster on your tools :)

fred, you've got my encryption scheme outfoxed:

$ cat /etc/hostname
fred-desktop
$

This project has been up near La Cueva, so I know you've got a bead on me.

plaster sticks *amazingly well* to metal, and your trowels can't be the
thing you care about when the plaster is going.

that is, if the plaster on the walls isn't more important to you.
--
cal

Cal Dershowitz September 17th 12 09:30 PM

plaster on trowels

On 09/10/2012 03:21 AM, DanG wrote:
On 9/9/2012 11:30 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to
clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would
normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you
are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.

If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've
always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of
material off trowels.

I should get a proper razor-scraper again.
--
cal

Notat Home September 18th 12 04:15 PM

plaster on trowels

Cal Dershowitz wrote:
hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my
tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives
down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

When I'm plastering, I keep my trowels in a bucket of water, so the
residue doesn't set. I wipe them with a rag before use, because its
hard to get plaster to stick to a wet trowel.