Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homeowners plagued by vultures

"...there's nothing the Florida homeowners can do about the gang of
federally protected vultures that have overstayed their welcome."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/02...#ixzz25OrjTdNj

What to do when you can't kill vermin? (Aside: Squirrels are also
protected.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"...there's nothing the Florida homeowners can do about the gang of
federally protected vultures that have overstayed their welcome."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/02...#ixzz25OrjTdNj

What to do when you can't kill vermin? (Aside: Squirrels are also
protected.)

This is nowadays normal, cf. the population explosion of Canada
geese:
1. A migratory species when Canada and the US agreed
to protect migratory birds (first 1917, latest 2005), these
birds may not be killed except by licensed hunters under
hunting regulations (time and place.)
2. Adapting to changing environments, many thousands
of these birds now nest and summer in cities (from Philadelphia
to Montreal) instead of summering near Hudson's Bay.
3. They are now a pest in public parks (e.g. New York, Boston,
Ottawa, Toronto) because of their numbers, size and habits:
but may not be killed.
4. Municipal administrators and politicians have no power
to amend the international Migratory Birds Convention,
even to protect public health and local amenities -- and
national governments rarely take an interest in local or
municipal conditions.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-09-03, Don Phillipson wrote:

3. They are now a pest in public parks (e.g. New York, Boston,
Ottawa, Toronto) because of their numbers, size and habits:
but may not be killed.

I'm sure there is some predation. I'm thinkin' homeless ppl.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" writes:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting stuff going on in the environment.
I've seen lots of changes from the 1950s DDT era.

At my place of employment office building we had large
lawns and a scourge of Canada Geese. In the last few years, all of a
sudden geese became a rare sight. That might have something to do with
a fox showing up. At the same place I witnessed a Red Hawk take out a
squirrel in view of everyone in the cafeteria. There are also lots of
vultures and wild turkey.

Just reading about oysters in the water around NYC this morning.

Also read recently that it's now legal to kill wolves in the area
around Yellowstone.

Not sure I like all of this. Bears have become more common in the town
I live in.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote

"...there's nothing the Florida homeowners can do about the gang of
federally protected vultures that have overstayed their welcome."

Gosh, God is raining pestilence on Christian Florida now. What next?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/02...florida-plague...

What to do when you can't kill vermin? (Aside: Squirrels are also
protected.)

I work in an office park that houses a few Financial Advisory firms.
It is also home to some turkeys and turkey vultures.

It was right smack in the middle of the 2007/2008 financial crisis
when the vultures used to land on the window sills of advisors as they
were meeting with their clients and discussing their rapidly
decreasing account values.

I can just imagine the uncomfortable laughter at those meetings, from
both sides of the table.