Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I see this kind of problem all the time.

I see this kind of problem
all the time when
I work on almost
anything.
This is what
happens when
you have engineers
graduate without
ever holding a
screwdriver in their
hands.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...8JULGK20120830
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I see this kind of problem
all the time when
I work on almost
anything.
This is what
happens when
you have engineers
graduate without
ever holding a
screwdriver in their
hands.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...8JULGK20120830

What in that article points to the engineers as being at fault?

As I read it, the possibility exists that whoever first installed the power
pack may have stripped the bolt hole resulting in a cross threaded bolt the
next it was used. Note the metal shavings they found when they uninstalled
the old one.

I recently broke a bolt on my trailer hitch because I screwed up the hole
when I tried to clean it with a tap. When I tried to install the bolt it
cross threaded and eventually snapped. It was operator error, not an
engineering issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 8:41*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
I see this kind of problem
all the time when
I work on almost
anything.
This is what
happens when
you have engineers
graduate without
ever holding a
screwdriver in their
hands.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...idINL2E8JULGK2...

What in that article points to the engineers as being at fault?

Nothing.

As I read it, the possibility exists that whoever first installed the power
pack may have stripped the bolt hole resulting in a cross threaded bolt the
next it was used. Note the metal shavings they found when they uninstalled
the old one.

Sounds logical.

I recently broke a bolt on my trailer hitch because I screwed up the hole
when I tried to clean it with a tap. When I tried to install the bolt it
cross threaded and eventually snapped. It was operator error, not an
engineering issue.

It could be an engineering issue, IF they specified the
wrong bolt, the wrong thread, etc. But as you point out,
nothing in the article suggests that at all. And it seems
far more likely that it could be something else, ie cross
threaded, parts were not machined so they aligned right,
making cross threading more likely, etc.
Senior Member

That's the problem with astronauts. They're good at the book learning, but when it comes to actually fixing something, they ain't worth a dog $#^+.

Seriously, this is a learning experience. It's encountering problems like this, figuring out what went wrong, and doing it a different way next time so that doesn't happen again that makes for better designs in the future. Bad enough this is happening 100 miles above the Earth, but it'd be game over if it was happening on Mars.

And, truth be told, each of those tiny metal shavings that were blown away with compressed nitrogen is now travelling through space at phenomenal speed and threatening all the weather, communications and spy satellites up there.

Last edited by nestork : September 1st 12 at 05:42 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...8JULGK20120830

=========
The station, a $100-billion project of 15 countries, is an orbiting
laboratory used for medical and basic science experiments, microgravity
research and technology development.
=========

Has any scientific papers ever been published in peer-reviewed medical
(or other non-engineering) journals based on experiments conducted on
the ISS?

How would you search medline for or scirus for such papers? Look for
"ISS" or "International Space Station" in the author-affiliation? I see
only 9 such papers on scirus, with 8 of them appearing to be more
editorial or informational than scientific.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=========
The station, a $100-billion project of 15 countries, is an orbiting
laboratory used for medical and basic science experiments, microgravity
research and technology development.
=========

Has any scientific papers ever been published in peer-reviewed medical
(or other non-engineering) journals based on experiments conducted on
the ISS?

Yes, here's the very first article published out of the ISS. It came out
in 2004.
http://radiology.rsna.org/content/234/2/319.full

How would you search medline for or scirus for such papers?

Look for micro-gravity or other relevant term? That certainly works with
medline.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pretty
Tight
Right
Margin?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"User" wrote in message

I see this kind of problem
all the time when
I work on almost
anything.
This is what
happens when
you have engineers
graduate without
ever holding a
screwdriver in their
hands.

also
see
stupid
idiots
and
their
bizarre
usenet
posting
styles
all
the
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

That's the problem with astronauts. They're good at the book learning,
but when it comes to actually fixing something, they ain't worth a dog
$#^+.

Perhaps that is why Apollo XIII never came back.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

I see this kind of problem
all the time when
I work on almost
anything.
This is what
happens when
you have engineers
graduate without
ever holding a
screwdriver in their
hands.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...INL2E8JULGK201
20830

I sent NASA a link to a HF catalog site...with coupons too. Should have it
resolved in no time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 12:52:36 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Pretty
Tight
Right