Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging Sliding Doors

One thing to watch out for is the sliding door you may have installed in the
back of the house. Sometimes people mount these backward with the sliding
part facing outward rather than inward. When you face the sliding part
outward it's easy for a burglar to lift up the door and remove it, allowing
easy and undetected entry. If the door is mounted inward, there is no way
for someone on the outside to grip the door to remove it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:52:32 -0700, "David Kaye"
wrote:

One thing to watch out for is the sliding door you may have installed in the
back of the house. Sometimes people mount these backward with the sliding
part facing outward rather than inward. When you face the sliding part
outward it's easy for a burglar to lift up the door and remove it, allowing
easy and undetected entry. If the door is mounted inward, there is no way
for someone on the outside to grip the door to remove it.

Some sliding doors cannot be installed backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One thing to watch out for is the sliding door you may have installed in the
back of the house. Sometimes people mount these backward with the sliding
part facing outward rather than inward. When you face the sliding part
outward it's easy for a burglar to lift up the door and remove it, allowing
easy and undetected entry. If the door is mounted inward, there is no way
for someone on the outside to grip the door to remove it.

You sound pretty sure of yourself. Yet that is EXACTLY how MANY home
breakins are done. The slider DOES belong on the inside - but without
a block in the top track area to prevent lifting a small pinch bar is
all that is required to remove the average sliding door. Toe locks hel
too - as does a lock bar (peice of hockey stick works well) dropped
into the track to prevent the door being forced far enough to get past
the lift block.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One thing to watch out for is the sliding door you may have installed in the
back of the house. Sometimes people mount these backward with the sliding
part facing outward rather than inward. When you face the sliding part
outward it's easy for a burglar to lift up the door and remove it, allowing
easy and undetected entry. If the door is mounted inward, there is no way
for someone on the outside to grip the door to remove it.

They don't need to grip the door to lift it, they just jam a
screwdriver in the track and jack it up.

The easy way to stop all of this is to cut a strip of wood that is
just a little thinner than the gap at the top of the door and screwing
it in place at the top of the track with the door open.
With the door closed, that strip can't be removed and that door can't
be lifted.

Andersen wind rated doors are even made that way. The top track barely
clears the top of he door and you install the inner edge of the track
after you set the door.

I've seen 1x2's placed on the bottom or bottom and top tracks so to
prevent the sliding door from being opened. I'm thinking this may
help thwart breakins tho I'm not 100% sure on this. I know I once
had an attempted break in from the back of my house which also had a
sliding door and they either couldn't or chose not to get thru the
sliding door. I can't remember whether I had wood in just the bottom
or the bottom and top track then. Mine was just wedged in place, no
screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My door (Crestline) has a strip of wooden moulding that screws into the
frame at the top along the interior face of the slider.

To remove the slider you have to take out 6 screws to remove the moulding
and then allow the top of the slider to tilt into the room. The door can
not be lifted high enough to clear the bottom track so it can not be
removed from outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2012 10:41 PM, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have wind code doors on the back of my house. I doubt anyone is
lifting them out. The panels are about 300 pounds each and you can't
break the glass with a 2x4 shot out of an air cannon. They have pretty
good locks too.

How do they keep the glass from shattering and coming out?

Probably separate question - I heard someone from Florida say there was
a film you could put on existing windows that would protect it from an
air cannon. All I could figure out was the film kept the shattered
glass in a sheet that would come out instead of shrapnel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Kaye" wrote in message
One thing to watch out for is the sliding door you may have installed in
the back of the house. Sometimes people mount these backward with the
sliding part facing outward rather than inward. When you face the
sliding part outward it's easy for a burglar to lift up the door and
remove it, allowing easy and undetected entry. If the door is mounted
inward, there is no way for someone on the outside to grip the door to
remove it.

Unless there's a special glass in the slider, one would just through a
brick through the glass. Safety glass breaks into millions of pieces, no
need to lift a door out, too much like work.

Hanging sliding closet door(s) help? [email protected] Home Repair 4 April 29th 12 01:28 PM
Glass Sliding Cupboard Doors + Sliding Track Miguel UK diy 1 July 22nd 09 03:14 PM
Hanging doors R D S[_2_] UK diy 7 November 24th 08 08:45 PM
T-Track for hanging, sliding, door Chip Buchholtz Woodworking 14 April 30th 07 04:13 PM
T-Track for hanging, sliding, door Woodworking 1 April 30th 07 03:36 AM