Posted to alt.home.repair

Default preparing AAC block for strucco-lite.

Hi newsgroup,

Your invaluable tips have allowed me to get repeat business with
cementious materials. Next is plastering-up up interior basement blocks
walls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocla...rated_concrete

This is what I'm strucco-liting over. I was gonna start by just washing
and wetting up the walls. The ceilings are finished, so I'm not gonna
want to go too wild here. But I finished them and can touch up with the
materials I have leftover.

I *was going* to use muriatic acid on it, but then I got talking to
malcolm about it, and he says that that might react with the aluminum in
the AAC. After reading how it's synthesized, I certainly would do a
test brick first, but frankly, it's got me spooked enough to skip it.

Q1) If you're not cleaning with muriatic acid or a pressure hose, would
might a little stream of water and a wire brush give me a surface that
won't embarrass me by not providing sufficient adhesion except where the
foundation is shearing it and you'd expect a crack?

It's an interior where there might be 60 percent relative humidity.

Q2) Does a person think that plaster dries like stucco in that it
wet-cures? When I think about what has worked for me along those lines,
I think first: wetting it down. Letting it dry througha layer before I
apply another. Keeping it watered for a term. With stucco, some day
28 days.

Thanks for your comment.

Peace from abq,
--