Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for help with 2-stroke engines please.

I have a WEED EATER PE550 edger (with steel blade).

Also a WEED EATER FL21 (Lightweight string trimmer).

They both have a spark and good compression but only run for 5 - 10 seconds.

I took the carb off the PE550, blew it out with an air hose, then soaked it overnight in 'carb cleaner'and blew it out again.

This made NO difference to how it ran so I bought a brand new carb. It, too, made NO difference at all, so I bought a brand new filter which, again, made NO difference.

Next I attacked the FL21 which also only runs for 5 - 10 secs. and replaced the fuel lines. but still NO difference. I then blew out the filter but still NO difference.

I would appreciate it if you have a suggestion for me.

TIA

Lewis *****
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd guess you're feeding them both from the same batch of two stroke
gasoline? I'll admit, I don't know for certain sure. But, it's a good guess
that since both display the symptoms, the culprit is what they have in
common, being your gasoline supply.

For science, please pour that batch of gas into your car's gas tank. Go buy
a gallon of premium, with no ethanol (if such can be found). Mix the oil,
and see if that works better.

That's what comes to mind. Hope that helps. Please write back, in either
case.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I have a WEED EATER PE550 edger (with steel blade).

Also a WEED EATER FL21 (Lightweight string trimmer).

They both have a spark and good compression but only run for 5 - 10 seconds.

I took the carb off the PE550, blew it out with an air hose, then soaked it
overnight in 'carb cleaner'and blew it out again.

This made NO difference to how it ran so I bought a brand new carb. It,
too, made NO difference at all, so I bought a brand new filter which, again,
made NO difference.

Next I attacked the FL21 which also only runs for 5 - 10 secs. and replaced
the fuel lines. but still NO difference. I then blew out the filter but
still NO difference.

I would appreciate it if you have a suggestion for me.

TIA

Lewis *****

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 06:18:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a WEED EATER PE550 edger (with steel blade).

Also a WEED EATER FL21 (Lightweight string trimmer).

They both have a spark and good compression but only run for 5 - 10 seconds.

I took the carb off the PE550, blew it out with an air hose, then soaked it overnight in 'carb cleaner'and blew it out again.

This made NO difference to how it ran so I bought a brand new carb. It, too, made NO difference at all, so I bought a brand new filter which, again, made NO difference.

Next I attacked the FL21 which also only runs for 5 - 10 secs. and replaced the fuel lines. but still NO difference. I then blew out the filter but still NO difference.

I would appreciate it if you have a suggestion for me.

After all of that-- Was the first thing you tried- dumping the gas--
including the gas in the can and mixing up a new batch with fresh gas?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Two devices, same symptoms, same day of the year. What do they have in
common?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

After all of that-- Was the first thing you tried- dumping the gas--
including the gas in the can and mixing up a new batch with fresh gas?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a WEED EATER PE550 edger (with steel blade).

Also a WEED EATER FL21 (Lightweight string trimmer).

They both have a spark and good compression but only run for 5 - 10 seconds.

I took the carb off the PE550, blew it out with an air hose, then soaked it overnight in 'carb cleaner'and blew it out again.

This made NO difference to how it ran so I bought a brand new carb. It, too, made NO difference at all, so I bought a brand new filter which, again, made NO difference.

Next I attacked the FL21 which also only runs for 5 - 10 secs. and replaced the fuel lines. but still NO difference. I then blew out the filter but still NO difference.

I would appreciate it if you have a suggestion for me.

TIA

Lewis *****

Check for crankcase leak (vacuum) and also confirm there is still
spark when it dies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 10, 2012 8:18:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a WEED EATER PE550 edger (with steel blade).

Also a WEED EATER FL21 (Lightweight string trimmer).

They both have a spark and good compression but only run for 5 - 10 seconds.

I took the carb off the PE550, blew it out with an air hose, then soaked it overnight in 'carb cleaner'and blew it out again.

This made NO difference to how it ran so I bought a brand new carb. It, too, made NO difference at all, so I bought a brand new filter which, again, made NO difference.

Next I attacked the FL21 which also only runs for 5 - 10 secs. and replaced the fuel lines. but still NO difference. I then blew out the filter but still NO difference.

I would appreciate it if you have a suggestion for me.

TIA

Lewis *****

Thanks for your interest.

I tried to check the filler cap by turning the cap upside down, putting a few drops of gas into it and looking for it to drip out, which it didn't. I can see the brass colored mesh and it appears to be clean.

Cranking on the engine with the cap removed looks a little risky to me with the way the gas tank is mounted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 11:08*am, " wrote:
[...]

Cranking on the engine with the cap removed looks a little risky to me with the way the gas tank is mounted.- Hide quoted text -

at least try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oiling two stroke and fourstroke engines ... was Climate Change Libtard Group Apologizes for Violent Video Wes[_5_] Metalworking 0 October 18th 10 11:33 PM
Bloody 2-stroke engines Bodgit UK diy 38 September 6th 10 02:27 PM
ktm 2 stroke [email protected] Metalworking 17 March 31st 06 02:43 PM
2-stroke engines pat UK diy 14 September 22nd 05 02:59 PM
Are 2-cycle engines or 4 cylce engines 'better'? dean Home Repair 21 June 14th 05 02:46 PM