Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody 2-stroke engines

I have 4 2-stroke engines (chainsaw, strimmer, outboards etc). For
each one you can summarise the starting procedure thus:

Cold - Tricky but possible once you know the trick for that particular
engine
Hot - Easy (first pull)
Warm - Nigh on impossible (profanities abound)

For warm I mean that it's been off for more than 5 minutes but less
than an hour or so. Why are they so difficult to start when warm? My
usual procedure is to mess randomly with the choke and throttle. After
a few hundred pulls it eventually sparks up, but by that time I'm too
knackered to cut down tree/strim grass/motor to boat etc. Is there
anything I'm missing?

Cheers,
Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
I have 4 2-stroke engines (chainsaw, strimmer, outboards etc). For
each one you can summarise the starting procedure thus:

Cold - Tricky but possible once you know the trick for that particular
engine
Hot - Easy (first pull)
Warm - Nigh on impossible (profanities abound)

For warm I mean that it's been off for more than 5 minutes but less
than an hour or so. Why are they so difficult to start when warm? My
usual procedure is to mess randomly with the choke and throttle. After
a few hundred pulls it eventually sparks up, but by that time I'm too
knackered to cut down tree/strim grass/motor to boat etc. Is there
anything I'm missing?

Cheers,
Dave.

There are special addtives in petrol to enable easy cold starting.
They are very volatile. When the engine is hot they're not needed.
With a cold engine, most of the petrol has evaporated from the carb.
the choke refills it with fresh petrol. When the engine is warm, the
addtives have evaporated leaving the remaining stuff in the carb.
without. So the engine is hard to start.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

Christ where did you get all that bull**** from?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 17:33, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
harry wrote:
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

Christ where did you get all that bull**** from?- Hide quoted text -

Burning things used to be my job.
There's a simplified explanation here for your tiny mind.
Butane gas is commonly dissolved in petrol to aid starting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol#Volatility
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

No mention of buatane I could see there at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
harry wrote:
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

He was getting confused with bukake

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Sep, 06:37, harry wrote:

Burning things used to be my job.

More of a vocation really. At least that's how the psychiatrist
described it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
I have 4 2-stroke engines (chainsaw, strimmer, outboards etc). For
each one you can summarise the starting procedure thus:

Cold - Tricky but possible once you know the trick for that particular
engine
Hot - Easy (first pull)
Warm - Nigh on impossible (profanities abound)

For warm I mean that it's been off for more than 5 minutes but less
than an hour or so. Why are they so difficult to start when warm? My
usual procedure is to mess randomly with the choke and throttle. After
a few hundred pulls it eventually sparks up, but by that time I'm too
knackered to cut down tree/strim grass/motor to boat etc. Is there
anything I'm missing?

Cheers,
Dave.

There are special addtives in petrol to enable easy cold starting.

Have you been drinking them or something ?

They are very volatile. When the engine is hot they're not needed.
With a cold engine, most of the petrol has evaporated from the carb.
the choke refills it with fresh petrol. When the engine is warm, the
addtives have evaporated leaving the remaining stuff in the carb.
without. So the engine is hard to start.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
, harry
writes
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

A little unfair. Don't know about 2-stroke, but diesel and biofuel does:
http://alternativefuels.about.com/od...lcoldweath.htm

And additives can certainly be bought which claim this effect among others:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...tives/tcp.aspx

Petrol companies used to make the additives the big selling point: otherwise
why would we choose one brand over another? Whether they really make any
noticeable difference is another matter... (I once met a biker with a bottle
of tetra ethyl lead in his pocket - to stop the pinking on his Laverda.
Very scary scenario indeed: don't know if he is still alive.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message
, harry
writes
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

That entirely different: Those are compression ignition engines.

And additives can certainly be bought which claim this effect among others:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...tives/tcp.aspx

Well its easy enough to add stiff to make worn engines spring to life.
But in general there is no need.

Thats what we have a spark for.

Petrol companies used to make the additives the big selling point: otherwise
why would we choose one brand over another?

But in general cold starting has never been a petrol engine problem.

Whether they really make any
noticeable difference is another matter... (I once met a biker with a bottle
of tetra ethyl lead in his pocket - to stop the pinking on his Laverda.
Very scary scenario indeed: don't know if he is still alive.)

Why? its relatively harmless, lead.

Need to cosume a lot over a long period to od any real harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
harry writes
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

Certainly was after my typical rebuilds, and I kept a bottle of ether on ice
specially for the purpose. (Yes there probably is truth in the mention of
old petrol, one tends to have after a rebuild, being less keen to ignite.)

Whether they really make any
noticeable difference is another matter... (I once met a biker with a
bottle of tetra ethyl lead in his pocket - to stop the pinking on his
Laverda. Very scary scenario indeed: don't know if he is still alive.)

Why? its relatively harmless, lead.

Concentrated it is very nasty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethyllead
"Contact with concentrated TEL leads to the familiar symptoms of acute lead
poisoning."

This chap kept a bottle of conc TEL in the pocket of his leathers, and
dribbled it down the sides of the bottle when he added it with every petrol
fill up. He would have been soaked in the stuff and consuming it with every
bag of chips he bought, from what was on his fingers.

Need to cosume a lot over a long period to od any real harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
harry writes
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

Not even as complicated as "additives"; petrol as distilled is a blend of
hydrocarbons with different chain lengths; the shorter are more volatile. So
they help starting, but evaporate. One reason why things can be a swine to
start in the spring, on last year's petrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
harry writes
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

Actually, on the year *before* last's, petrol. Had no problem with LAST
years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 19:48, "Spamlet" wrote:

A little unfair. *Don't know about 2-stroke, but diesel and biofuel does:http://alternativefuels.about.com/od...guide/a/diesel...

No they don't. If you've got "additives" in diesel, they're there to
avoid waxing in cold weather, not to aid starting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 Sep, 19:48, "Spamlet" wrote:

A little unfair. Don't know about 2-stroke, but diesel and biofuel does:http://alternativefuels.about.com/od...guide/a/diesel...

No they don't. If you've got "additives" in diesel, they're there to
avoid waxing in cold weather, not to aid starting.

sort of. Lacking ether, a glow plug is generally useful.

But starting additives that cost money and don't contribute to final
power are a bad thing.

Better to use the glow plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Spamlet"
saying something like:

A little unfair. Don't know about 2-stroke, but diesel and biofuel does:
http://alternativefuels.about.com/od...lcoldweath.htm

To deal with a totally different problem relating to diesel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 19:48, "Spamlet" wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
, harry
writes
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

S- Hide quoted text -

Are you mad? He was only adding lead to up the octane rating and
reduce pre-ignition. Actually reduces the calorific value of the
fuel.
Absolutely no danger at all except maybe to the environment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
noticeable difference is another matter... (I once met a biker with a bottle
of tetra ethyl lead in his pocket - to stop the pinking on his Laverda.
Very scary scenario indeed: don't know if he is still alive.)

Are you mad? He was only adding lead to up the octane rating and
reduce pre-ignition. Actually reduces the calorific value of the
fuel.
Absolutely no danger at all except maybe to the environment.

Or his health if he makes a mistake handling it: lead poisoning.

#Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Sep, 06:42, harry wrote:

Absolutely no danger at all except maybe to the environment.

If he was carrying a bottle of retail octane booster he'd be OK. The
stuff is pre-diluted to a pretty low concentration.

Handling an organic lead compound, like tetraethyl lead, he, and
everyone who shook hands with him for a week, would be at risk of
acute lead poisoning. That stuff is fiendish. Tiny quantities are a
hazard, and skin's no barrier to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 18:59, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

geoff- Hide quoted text -

Petrol is not a fixed substance. It is a blend of all manner of
things that varies from company to company and according to climate,
time of year, availabilty and local legislation etc. I never heard
such ignorance as is being spouted here.

There's no excuse. Before you babble on, check your facts on the
internet.
For the less intelligent, start here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 4 Sep, 18:59, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

The trouble with dimwit ex arsonists with an internet connection, is
they read something and think they understand what it means.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message news:26b03234-3e6e-4def-89bc-

Before you babble on, check your facts on the internet.

Check 'facts on internet' .... ********.

The internet is a source of information, good & bad, just because it is
on-line does not make it fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

"harry" wrote in message news:26b03234-3e6e-4def-89bc-

Before you babble on, check your facts on the internet.

Check 'facts on internet' .... ********.

The internet is a source of information, good & bad, just because it is
on-line does not make it fact.

I suspect "harry" is doing the usual thing of looking on the internet
and not understanding one bit of what he reads. I can recall that some
years ago the US researched the addition of small quantities of butane
to petrol, not to improve starting but to improve emissions in winter.
The recommendation was for butane to be added in very small proportions
(up to 2% IIRC) with a caveat that this increased the vapour pressure
significantly and it would have to be a measure for only the coldest
months of winter.

The winters in question were, of course, considerably colder than in the
UK. The UK's winter temperatures are higher than the autumn and spring
temperatures in the regions of the US where butane was considered as an
additive. I think it's unlikely that it is added in the UK, but I'm sure
"harry" will be able to provide these unimpeachable sources for the use
of butane in petrol in the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On 4 Sep, 18:59, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

No **** sherlock

I never heard
such ignorance as is being spouted here.

There's no excuse. Before you babble on, check your facts on the
internet.

HA ha - now there's a quote that defines you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

Not being a user of such things, I am intrigued to know how the fuel level
is maintained in carbs that have to work at any angle - even the different
angles between the front and back pot of my old Ducati, used to give me
headaches getting the mixture right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
On 4 Sep, 16:31, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

what makes you think that fuel level IS maintained :-)

I suspect where there is a fuel chamber in the carb itself, its suction
that gets the fuel into it.

Clunks are what you use to have a pickup at the tank bottom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 19:34, "Spamlet" wrote:

Not being a user of such things, I am intrigued to know how the fuel level
is maintained in carbs that have to work at any angle

It isn't.

Carbs need a constant (and tiny) _pressure_ at the jet, so as to give
a predictable flow behaviour. One easy way to achieve this is a known
head and a constant level float chamber. An any-axis carb can't do
this though, so they use a diaphram pressure-regulator instead, just
like a gas regulator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 Sep, 19:34, "Spamlet" wrote:

Not being a user of such things, I am intrigued to know how the fuel level
is maintained in carbs that have to work at any angle

It isn't.

Carbs need a constant (and tiny) _pressure_ at the jet, so as to give
a predictable flow behaviour.

Actually, they don't need pressure above atmosphere, since the venturi
operates below atmospheric.

The simple form of model aircraft engines operate with fueel levels
above and below the carb venturi and no pressurisation at all, or
diaphragms or anything. Its certainly true that larger ones tap exahust
pressure to pressurise the tank, but this is more about reliable running
at odd aerobatic angles, than actually running at all.

One easy way to achieve this is a known
head and a constant level float chamber. An any-axis carb can't do
this though, so they use a diaphram pressure-regulator instead, just
like a gas regulator.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying
something like:

With a cold engine, most of the petrol has evaporated from the carb.
the choke refills it with fresh petrol.

Woohoo.
The Harrycarb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bodgit wrote:
I have 4 2-stroke engines (chainsaw, strimmer, outboards etc). For
each one you can summarise the starting procedure thus:

Cold - Tricky but possible once you know the trick for that particular
engine
Hot - Easy (first pull)
Warm - Nigh on impossible (profanities abound)

For warm I mean that it's been off for more than 5 minutes but less
than an hour or so. Why are they so difficult to start when warm? My
usual procedure is to mess randomly with the choke and throttle. After
a few hundred pulls it eventually sparks up, but by that time I'm too
knackered to cut down tree/strim grass/motor to boat etc. Is there
anything I'm missing?

Experience.

Cold. Full choke. pump the primer bulb if it exists, pull and back off
the choke the moment it wont stall teh thing.

Hot. Just pull. If its run out of fuel prime but don't choke.

warm. As above, but pull harder, and maybe a smidgeon of choke,. To
little choke merely means it takes a long time to fire. Too much means
it will flood and you will never restart it.

Cheers,
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bodgit wrote:
[...]

IME,

Cold- set throttle to start position, full choke, pump primer if fitted
acouple of times. Pull cord until it sputters then dies. Choke fully off,
and pull cord til it starts. Probably 1 or 2 tugs.

Hot - set throttle to start position or leave in idle position and pull
cord. If no-go after 4-5 pulls, refer to "Cold" procedure.

If it's being a right c*nt, then it needs a service / new plug / carb reset
etc.

Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bodgit" wrote in message
I have 4 2-stroke engines (chainsaw, strimmer, outboards etc). For
each one you can summarise the starting procedure thus:

Cold - Tricky but possible once you know the trick for that particular
engine
Hot - Easy (first pull)
Warm - Nigh on impossible (profanities abound)

For warm I mean that it's been off for more than 5 minutes but less
than an hour or so. Why are they so difficult to start when warm? My
usual procedure is to mess randomly with the choke and throttle. After
a few hundred pulls it eventually sparks up, but by that time I'm too
knackered to cut down tree/strim grass/motor to boat etc. Is there
anything I'm missing?

Cheers,
Dave.

Earplugs for all the neighbours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bodgit wrote:

I have 4 2-stroke engines (chainsaw, strimmer, outboards etc). For
each one you can summarise the starting procedure thus:

Warm - Nigh on impossible (profanities abound)

For warm I mean that it's been off for more than 5 minutes but less
than an hour or so. Why are they so difficult to start when warm? My
knackered to cut down tree/strim grass/motor to boat etc. Is there
anything I'm missing?

Each one can be different, just like the amount and time needed on a cold
start.
you just need to experiment with choke or primer if it refuses to start
without, and then try and remember what worked for that particular engine.
\0

Bloody B&Q again [email protected] UK diy 9 October 20th 06 09:24 AM
BLOODY ScrewFix [email protected] UK diy 64 February 25th 06 11:31 PM
2-stroke engines pat UK diy 14 September 22nd 05 02:59 PM
Are 2-cycle engines or 4 cylce engines 'better'? dean Home Repair 21 June 14th 05 02:46 PM
Bloody Woodchip!!! John UK diy 21 April 11th 05 08:13 PM