Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of spray for Carpenter ants?

I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

What they do is to IRRITATE me by getting on my body, my counter tops, etc., etc.

Is there a product that I can mix with water so as to spray them?

TIA

Lewis

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 8:54*am, " wrote:
I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

What they do is to IRRITATE me by getting on my body, my counter tops, etc., etc.

Is there a product that I can mix with water so as to spray them?

TIA

Lewis

*****

If you have carpenter ants you have a bigger problem
than the ants irritating you. Carpenter ants destroy wood and
if they are inside your house, they are almost certainly
nesting inside the wood of your house. The destruction,
if left unchecked, is similar to termites.

Spraying them is unlikely to solve the problem. It will
only effect the ants you hit, not the nest. I've had success
with Terra liquid bait. The ants feed on it and take it
back to the nest, ultimately killing the whole nest. It comes
in little clear plastic tray like packages.

The other alternative is to call in a pro. They typically
spray a product into wall cavities after drilling holes and
also use a powder around the perimeter.

Keeping debis, vegetation, etc away from the wood of
the outside of the house also helps. As does making
sure you don't have the outside wet due to poor drainage,
leaves piling up, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 8:54*am, " wrote:

Is there a product that I can mix with water so as to spray them?

Talstar One. eBay.

C-ants typically run to and nest in the highest point in the house
(although there may be more than one nest) so a thorough application
to the entire structure according to label directions is required.

The thing to remember about ants is, just because you don't see them
doesn't mean they're not there.

The other thing to know is a half-assed job might stress a colony and
cause them to split. You won't see them for a while, then they'll
suddenly be back and more numerous.
----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 05:54:58 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

What they do is to IRRITATE me by getting on my body, my counter tops, etc., etc.

Is there a product that I can mix with water so as to spray them?

Boric acid works but if it were my house, I'd call an exterminator. Carpenter
ants will destroy a house. If you see them, it's already a serious problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

What they do is to IRRITATE me by getting on my body, my counter
tops, etc., etc.

Is there a product that I can mix with water so as to spray them?

TIA

Lewis

Here's a link with a lot of good information:
http://unexco.com/carpants.html .

They can also be coming into your house from a tree or trees outside. If
so, you can usually figure that out by watching the ants and see what path
they are taking. I've done that and it works.

I also bought a product called Advance Granular Carpenter Ant Bait and it
worked perfectly for me every time (on different properties). I placed it
at the base of the tree that was the source of the problem and the carpenter
ants disappeared. I happen to live near the exterminating company that has
the above website and I went there in person and bought the stuff. It is
relatively expensive, but it was what I needed, so I got it.

Here's their link for buying the product online from them:
http://www.unexco.net/store/bscview.mv . But, read what the page says --
that it won't work if the source and cause of the problem is moisture. It
was the right product for me because the source of the problem was (each
time) a nest in a nearby tree.

Given what the website says, my guess is that there are other carpenter ant
bait products out there that would probably also work just as well and
probably cost a lot less. The concept is (according to them) is that
baiting works because it kills the nest without causing the ants to abandon
ship and form new nests.

I have no connection with this company and don't know them personally. I am
just providing this information in case it helps.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2012 8:54 AM, wrote:
I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

What they do is to IRRITATE me by getting on my body, my counter tops, etc., etc.

Is there a product that I can mix with water so as to spray them?

TIA

Lewis

*****

Okay, first of all carpenter ants are NOT similar in size to fire ants.
CAs are much larger. CAs nest in damaged/rotted wood, indoors or out,
and including old termite tunnels. Are you in warm climate with fire
ants? IF you have CA's, they aren't difficult to get rid of, as getting
rid of the dead wood has done it for me (in condo, after others had
dumped bags and bags of poison all over). We cleared away debris and
dead wood from landscaping, made repairs to damaged wood on building and
the ants were gone. CAs are pretty big, I'd guess about 1/3"....the
forage around dusk and are fairly easy to follow back to nest. If you
have rather ordinary small ants, try Terro or similar off-brand....most
hardware stores carry some version of it, and it is usually a small
bottle of just syrup and boric acid. Placed alongside trails, it
attracts ants fairly quickly and is taken back to the nest. Among the
pest fighting methods, include thorough cleaning of floors, cabinets,
sticky containers, pet food crumbs/bowls. If the problem is a new one,
and you are in a drought area (or unusually heavy rainfall), ants may
come indoors seeking moisture or having been driven from nests by
flooding. CA's also nest in trees, so a good idea to clear limbs
(especially dead or damaged) that might contact the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

Fire ant: 2 mm to 6 mm
Carpenter ant: 6.4 mm to 25 mm

Identify _correctly_ first.

If you have carpenter ants, you must eliminate the source of
moisture, they go after wet or damp wood.

Nothing else will work.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2012 11:19 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
" writes:

I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

Fire ant: 2 mm to 6 mm
Carpenter ant: 6.4 mm to 25 mm

Identify _correctly_ first.

If you have carpenter ants, you must eliminate the source of
moisture, they go after wet or damp wood.

Nothing else will work.

You are right, but it is hard to convince people to look for rotted
wood. We had numerous spots around our condo, including palm trees. We
had very large, old hedges with dead limbs at the bottom where they had
been pruned....I poured some water with Dawn down the hollowed out wood
and CAs came pouring out, carrying their eggs/larva...interesting
critters. When they bite, they can hang on, but didn't get any of
those; only fire ant stings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

Fire ant: 2 mm to 6 mm
Carpenter ant: 6.4 mm to 25 mm

Identify _correctly_ first.

If you have carpenter ants, you must eliminate the source of
moisture, they go after wet or damp wood.

Nothing else will work.

You are right, but it is hard to convince people to look for rotted
wood.

I'm glad I did.

We went through the money wasting call in the professionals phase.
All they want to do is get you on their schedule of periodic treatments.
A total waste of money.

Finally I took a flashlight up in the eaves and discovered I had a roof
leak running down some wood and into the wall.
The place was teeming with carpenter ants.

We fixed the roof leak and the ants were gone.
We did not spray to get rid of them.

But based on the OPs description of the size of the ants,
I don't think this is a case of carpenter ants.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:12:25 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

I disagree...calling an exterminator MIGHT help to identify the pest and
usually includes free estimates. Destroy a house? Unlikely!

That's really not true. Back when I did home repair for a living, I had
a guy call me about a leaky flat roof, which was the entire kitchen.
This was built as an addition from the main house. When I opened that
roof from the underside (drywall removed), that entire roof structure
was eaten away by the ants, and that made the center of the roof sag,
thus made the water problem worse. Ants fell like a heavy rainstorm.
It was the most disgusting job I ever did. We removed the entire roof,
only to find the walls were also full of ants. We demolished that whole
part of the house and rebuilt it from the foundation up, using all
treated lumber and made a gable roof rather than the flat one. The
owner had a professional exterminator come too, because as the thing was
being demolished, ants were running everywhere in the rest of the house.
The job was finished at a huge cost to the guy.

A year later he called me again. This time his bathroom ceramic tile
was falling off the walls. Well, upon removing a few tiles, I found the
drywall was all falling apart and after removing it, the walls were full
of carpenter ants. The entire bathroom was demolished from the inside,
the half of the wall studs had to be replaced, particularly on the
exterior wall, and around the shower. This meant replacing the siding
on the entire house, because the existing siding could not be matched.
The exterminators came again, and had to come on a regular basis after
that.

Some years later I got a call from that guy. He had moved, and wanted
me to do a few small repairs at his new house. He said that the
neighboring homes were also infested by the old house, and the
exterminators were spraying all the houses in that area. He said he
sold the place and moved, after spending a fortune on the place for
repairs and the continued cost of exterminators. He said he moved
entirely because of that ant problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Some years later I got a call from that guy. He had moved, and wanted
me to do a few small repairs at his new house. He said that the
neighboring homes were also infested by the old house, and the
exterminators were spraying all the houses in that area. He said he
sold the place and moved, after spending a fortune on the place for
repairs and the continued cost of exterminators. He said he moved
entirely because of that ant problem.

Slum neighborhood? Poor maintenance? How long does the average roof
leak before it is discovered? U of Florida has loads of info online and
clearly state that that FLORIDA carpenter ants don't cause significant
damage, but other (black carpenter ants) do! The article also says
that Florida has a new, smaller carpenter ant. Locale matters. Here is
a link:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...enter_ants.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2012 8:54 AM, wrote:
I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

They are similar in size to fire ants but do not bite.

What they do is to IRRITATE me by getting on my body, my counter tops, etc., etc.

Is there a product that I can mix with water so as to spray them?

TIA

Lewis

*****

I had a very large oak tree (about 22" at the base) come down during a
recent storm. Actually, there was not too much wind, but the tree
snapped about 15' up. I hired a guy to come out and remove it all. He
found that the tree had been struck by lightening some time in the past,
probably before my house was even built 3 years ago. But, the carpenter
ants move into the lower part where the lightening had done its damage.
The tree was about 50' from the house with a small creek dividing the
tree and the house. Earlier this year, in the spring, we would
occasionally see one in the house. Probably road the dog in .... or one
of the humans. Just after the tree was removed, there were hundreds
(maybe 1000s) of them scurrying around on the tree side of the creek,
all trying to save the nest. They were carrying the larva from the
nest. They didn't know where they were going, but they instinctively
knew to protect the babies. I sprayed that whole area with Talstar and
I haven't seen one there since. I never really saw any quantities on
the house side of the creek. I sprayed a line on the house side of the
creek, just in case ... not too near the creek .... didn't want to
contaminate the water, but I realize anything you spray anywhere will
probably end up in the water somewhere, someday.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 9, 10:12*am, Norminn wrote:

I disagree...calling an exterminator MIGHT help to identify the pest and
usually includes free estimates. *Destroy a house? *Unlikely!

Quite right. They won't destroy the house, but can do so much
structural damage that you will be forced to remove major parts of the
structure yourself. Happened to me a few years ago, and a 15' x 18'
addition to the family palace wound up in the Dumpster. Source for the
ants was a rather rotted old white maple and a substandard roofing job
on a near flat roof.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 9, 10:11*am, Norminn wrote:

Okay, first of all carpenter ants are NOT similar in size to fire ants.
* CAs are much larger. *CAs nest in damaged/rotted wood, indoors or out,
and including old termite tunnels.

Thank you. I was going to say the same thing. The only thing fire
ants & CA's have in common is the reddish brown color, otherwise they
are as different as day & night. Which makes me wonder what the OP
really has problems with.

I live rural and have cedar trees dying all over the place. Almost
every one has CA's nesting in the trunk. I'm wondering at what stage
they're invading the trees, causing the tree to die in order to have a
nesting site or moving in after it dies? The trees are definitely not
rotted as standing cedar rarely rots. especially not this many 6-10"
diameter trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2012 3:39 PM, Red wrote:
On Aug 9, 10:11 am, Norminn wrote:

Okay, first of all carpenter ants are NOT similar in size to fire ants.
CAs are much larger. CAs nest in damaged/rotted wood, indoors or out,
and including old termite tunnels.

Thank you. I was going to say the same thing. The only thing fire
ants & CA's have in common is the reddish brown color, otherwise they
are as different as day & night. Which makes me wonder what the OP
really has problems with.

Hold the presses......there is a variety of CAs that is small. I did a
lot of research when I worked on correcting problems at our condo in
Florida. At the time, the info on U of Fla website was specific for
Florida CAs and those were not causing damage but were nesting in
already damaged structures and rotten or dead limbs outdoors. This link
has more info and includes a newer CA with limited occurrence in FL but
more in other southern states. Good idea for the OP to catch a few of
the ants and take them to local extension service or to find info about
ants in his locale. Most extension services have thorough info about
pests, including current methods of elimination. Here is the link again:
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...enter_ants.htm

I live rural and have cedar trees dying all over the place. Almost
every one has CA's nesting in the trunk. I'm wondering at what stage
they're invading the trees, causing the tree to die in order to have a
nesting site or moving in after it dies? The trees are definitely not
rotted as standing cedar rarely rots. especially not this many 6-10"
diameter trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2012 2:29 PM, Joe wrote:
On Aug 9, 10:12 am, Norminn wrote:

I disagree...calling an exterminator MIGHT help to identify the pest and
usually includes free estimates. Destroy a house? Unlikely!

Quite right. They won't destroy the house, but can do so much
structural damage that you will be forced to remove major parts of the
structure yourself. Happened to me a few years ago, and a 15' x 18'
addition to the family palace wound up in the Dumpster. Source for the
ants was a rather rotted old white maple and a substandard roofing job
on a near flat roof.

Joe

Where is the house located? Any chance there were termites in the
building first? Regular termite inspections?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:39:35 -0700 (PDT), Red wrote:

On Aug 9, 10:11*am, Norminn wrote:

Okay, first of all carpenter ants are NOT similar in size to fire ants.
* CAs are much larger. *CAs nest in damaged/rotted wood, indoors or out,
and including old termite tunnels.

Thank you. I was going to say the same thing. The only thing fire
ants & CA's have in common is the reddish brown color, otherwise they
are as different as day & night. Which makes me wonder what the OP
really has problems with.

The carpenter ant's I'm (too) familiar with are jet black.

I live rural and have cedar trees dying all over the place. Almost
every one has CA's nesting in the trunk. I'm wondering at what stage
they're invading the trees, causing the tree to die in order to have a
nesting site or moving in after it dies? The trees are definitely not
rotted as standing cedar rarely rots. especially not this many 6-10"
diameter trees.

Carpenter ants need water. The nest in places that are already compromised
but they take it downhill fast from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Me" wrote in message
b.com...
Killer spray.

Deodorant spray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 8:12*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 8/9/2012 8:54 AM, wrote: I am being invaded by what I am told are carpenter ants.

[...]

Art,

Lightening is what Michael Jackson did to his skin. Lightning is what
hit your tree.

Bob H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2012 10:18 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

Yup, but when people stop saying "nuc-e-lar" for"nuclear" and down
here, "impordant" instead of "important" I'll stop misspelling. On
'nuclear', I've heard professional announcers and even a former
President (no, not Carter) say "nuc-e-lar" and it drives me nuts. A
former L associate, that mispronounced 'nuclear' found, in the
dictionary, that either was ok (oh, for the spelling nuts, it's spelled
okay). I couldn't believe that people mispronouncing a word would make
Webster cave. BTW, when typing lightening, it looked wrong, but I
couldn't figure where to go with it, so I let it slide. Thanks, Bob.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of word to pronounce?

I thought is was "nuke - you - ler"?

I don't shave while looking in a "meer".

When the phone number is "four oh five", I dial #4, and then letter O (which
is on number six) and then #5. O is a letter, it's not a zero.

There is no dot key on my computer. Websites can be period com, or point
com. But, I don't have a dot key.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

Yup, but when people stop saying "nuc-e-lar" for"nuclear" and down
here, "impordant" instead of "important" I'll stop misspelling. On
'nuclear', I've heard professional announcers and even a former
President (no, not Carter) say "nuc-e-lar" and it drives me nuts. A
former L associate, that mispronounced 'nuclear' found, in the
dictionary, that either was ok (oh, for the spelling nuts, it's spelled
okay). I couldn't believe that people mispronouncing a word would make
Webster cave. BTW, when typing lightening, it looked wrong, but I
couldn't figure where to go with it, so I let it slide. Thanks, Bob.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had good luck with liquid ant bait from
www.gardensalive.com

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8695

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

four oh five is short for four, zero, five
just think contraction, or implied, like 'o replaces zero.

I only mention this because for some reason my brain does not accept
the word zero well. You say a string of numbers I remember them, but
*if* in the middle of that string; you use zero instead of oh for
naught, brain resets and the whole string is lost.

Like fighting dyslexia. aware, must concentrate, but would rather
relax and have people use oh for zero, only if it's the letter 'o'
then point it out, otherwise oh in a string of numbers is zero and oh
in a string of letters is the letter 'o'

So think kindly on others who may have the same mental weakness and
'need' people to accept oh for zero.

....and top posters.

On Aug 13, 5:55*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I thought is was "nuke - you - ler"?

I don't shave while looking in a "meer".

When the phone number is "four oh five", I dial #4, and then letter O (which
is on number six) and then #5. O is a letter, it's not a zero.

There is no dot key on my computer. Websites can be period com, or point
com. But, I don't have a dot key.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2012 8:55 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Yup, I've heard both nuc-you-lar and nuc-e-lar, short e. Both are
wrong, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I thought is was "nuke - you - ler"?

I don't shave while looking in a "meer".

When the phone number is "four oh five", I dial #4, and then letter O (which
is on number six) and then #5. O is a letter, it's not a zero.

There is no dot key on my computer. Websites can be period com, or point
com. But, I don't have a dot key.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

"So think kindly on others who may have the same mental weakness
and 'need' people to accept oh for zero."

I don't see how we can accept oh for zero. There are just too many
places where confusion will reign.

Just one example...

"What the serial number of the device, please?"

"JW0453"

If I say Jay Double-U Oh Four Five Three instead of Jay Double-U Zero
Four Five Three, things could get very confusing, very fast.

I always use, and I wish everyone else would too, the NATO phonetic
alphabet that I learned in the Coast Guard many years ago. It should
be taught in school and in industry and used by everyone.

"What the serial number of the device, please?"

"Juliet Whisky Zero Four Five Three"

That's next to impossible to confuse with:

"Juliet Whisky Oscar Four Five Three"

More often than not, when I use the NATO phonetic alphabet, there is
no confusion when I spell a word or rattle off a serial number. On
rare occasions, I get something like "Was that J as in July, W as in
Watermelon, etc?" I usually just shake my head and put up with it.

What's easier to say and understand?

"DerbyDad03 - Delta Echo Romeo Bravo Yankee Delta Alpha Delta Zero
Three"

or

"DerbyDad03 - D as in David, E as in Echo, R as in Remember, B as in
Boy, Y as in Yankee, etc, etc, etc."