Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make bottle jacks to use horizontally?

I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position,
until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something
horizontally. The jack did not function. I grabbed another jack and
found the same problem. I researched this, and found that these jacks
are not meant to be used on their sides, and learned the reason, which
is all because the fluid must be on the bottom to operate.

Now that I fully understand how these jacks work and their limitations,
I'm still looking for something to move heavy objects on a horizontal
plane. These uses may be to move a small shed a foot back, because that
once small tree has grown large and is touching the overhang. Quite
recently I was putting plywood sheets in an attic and laid down 8 or 9
sheets, only to discover that they should have gone a few more inches
toward the rear of the house. They were not nailed, so they could still
be moved. The thought of putting a jack against the front rafters and
moving all the sheets at once came to mind, but I knew that was not
possible due to the limitations of these jacks. Therefore, what could
have been a simple task to jack these sheets over by 3 inches, meant
moving each sheet by hand one at a time.

Having dont lots of building of darn near everything over the years,
I've seen a need for some sort of jacks, as well as clamps and other
devices to move large or heavy objects on a horizontal plane. Yet,
there is nothing made to do this. Bottle jacks dont work on their side,
C-clamps, and Pony clamps all tighten INWARD. Of all the tools onm the
market, there seems to be nothing made to move heavy objects OUTWARD.

If you're erecting a wall, and the wall is a little off the floor on one
end, a C-clamp or other clamp will pull it inward. But to move it
outward, your only method is to use a big hammer (which in some cases is
not possible, such as the plywood attic floor).

Yes, there is the "come along". That tool will work in some places with
a large open area behind it, but it wont work to move a plywood attic
floor or even a shed if there is nothing to attach it to.

Am I the only person on Earth who seems to need a jack or other tool to
move heavy objects on a horizontal plane, or have the tool designers
just neglected to design such tools?

What is needed, is a small and short bottle jack that works on it's
side, as well as a C-clamp that clamps OUTWARD. And probably more tools
that work simularly.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 3:11*pm, wrote:
[...]

I've used some bottle jacks on their side. It may
depend on the design, how much fluid is in it,
etc. I've also had ones that would not work
on their side.

I've also seen tools with the pump and piston
seperated and connected by a hose. That way
you can put the piston where you want it and then
pump away. Good for tight spots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Google is your friend.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ack-66480.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:49:48 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:11:33 -0500, wrote:

I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position,
until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something
horizontally. The jack did not function. I grabbed another jack and
found the same problem. I researched this, and found that these jacks
-snip -

Hope you are jacking me around ....sorry I couldn't resist.
Try this...
https://www.google.com/search?q=hori...e=utf-8&oe=utf

-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

Were you jacking off when you wrote this?
.....sorry I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the link!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:36:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Google is your friend.....

God I wish people would stop saying this......
Google might have been a friend 10 years ago. Today google is one of
the most corrupt companies on the internet.

Anyhow, thanks for the link!

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ack-66480.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cut im some slack, Jack!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Hope you are jacking me around ....sorry I couldn't resist.
Try this...

Were you jacking off when you wrote this?
.....sorry I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the link!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position,
until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something
horizontally.

And also, are they obviously something configured to work sideways, and
easily recognizable as a horizontal jack, or are there just regular looking
jacks, or just a little different, that someone could pick up at a yard
sale? Some of the jacks listed there look like regular jacks, but I looked
at some of the Google sites, and they have floor jacks as horizontal jacks.
Is that moronic, or what? I have had many times when I could use horizontal
power, and was wondering this very thing many times. And I don't want to
wander through all that crud to read every description of every jack when
they list a floor jack as a horizontal jack.

Anyone?

I guess if there IS a bottle jack that is capable of sideways propulsion, it
would be clearly labeled as one. Is that the case?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:05:45 -0500, wrote:

Google is your friend.....

God I wish people would stop saying this......

Bing is your friend...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Google is your friend.....

God I wish people would stop saying this......
Google might have been a friend 10 years ago. Today google is one of
the most corrupt companies on the internet.

Anyhow, thanks for the link!

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ack-66480.html

I think people who say Google is your friend are morons. I googled
horizontal jack, and it is like being hit by a haystack. A ton of worthless
crap that one has to sift through to find just what it is one is looking
for. I just posted a post asking the question if a jack that works in the
horizontal position looks anything different than a regular one. I looked
at about ten sites, and I could not find one that had that tidbit of
information. I'm busy. I don't want to sift hay for an hour. I like
having a forum where one can ask a common question, and then not get smart
assed remarks, just the facts.

I appreciate the link you posted. It shows me that a regular and horizontal
jack look alike. It does not show if it is clearly labeled on the jack, so
that one might know if they do find one at a yard sale.

BUT, I had my answers from one simple post, and I never did get there on
Google. Google returns everything from lifting jacks to Jack Daniels on a
generic search. And I get aggravated by the geniuses who say I just need to
look harder.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:05:45 -0500, wrote:

Google is your friend.....

God I wish people would stop saying this......

Bing is your friend...

Bing is ****. They bombard you with ads, and unrelated sites.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:34:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I've used some bottle jacks on their side. It may
depend on the design, how much fluid is in it,
etc. I've also had ones that would not work
on their side.

I've also seen tools with the pump and piston
seperated and connected by a hose. That way
you can put the piston where you want it and then
pump away. Good for tight spots.

From looking at the weblinks given on here, it appears that some of
these bottle jacks are made for horizontal use. But most I've gotten
locally are not. I just found these. Short (miniature) ones that are
made to be used in all positions. This is what I'd like, but
unfortunately they are all from the UK. I wont even consider buying
online from the UK because the shipping would be outrageous. Seems
these are not sold in the US. A short one would be best for my needs!

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydra...acks/miniature

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 13:49:53 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:05:45 -0500, wrote:

Google is your friend.....

God I wish people would stop saying this......

Bing is your friend...

Bing is ****. They bombard you with ads, and unrelated sites.

Steve

Maybe so and so does Google. I'm not constantly asked to install some
Google "****" ware.

What do you use for a search engine that eliminates ads?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 13:48:52 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I think people who say Google is your friend are morons. I googled

Agreed!!!!!

horizontal jack, and it is like being hit by a haystack. A ton of worthless
crap that one has to sift through to find just what it is one is looking
for. I just posted a post asking the question if a jack that works in the
horizontal position looks anything different than a regular one. I looked
at about ten sites, and I could not find one that had that tidbit of
information. I'm busy. I don't want to sift hay for an hour. I like
having a forum where one can ask a common question, and then not get smart
assed remarks, just the facts.

I tried Ebay. That was a bigger joke. 90% of what I found was Jack
Daniels bottles!!!!

Like you, I dont care to waste my time searching thru piles of online
rubbish, and for that matter, I'd prefer to avoid shopping online. Yet,
I have not found any jacks that say "horizontal use" in the local big
box or hardware stores.

And while we're at it. I'm still looking for the other kind of tool. A
C-clamp or any type of clamp that clamps OUTWARD. In some cases, a
bottle jack is just not feasible to use. Why is it that all clamps are
made to clamp inward?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 13:16:07 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position,
until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something
horizontally.

And also, are they obviously something configured to work sideways, and
easily recognizable as a horizontal jack, or are there just regular looking
jacks, or just a little different, that someone could pick up at a yard
sale? Some of the jacks listed there look like regular jacks, but I looked
at some of the Google sites, and they have floor jacks as horizontal jacks.
Is that moronic, or what? I have had many times when I could use horizontal

I noticed that too....
I'd like to see someone try to use a floor jack on it's side.....

power, and was wondering this very thing many times. And I don't want to
wander through all that crud to read every description of every jack when
they list a floor jack as a horizontal jack.

Anyone?

I guess if there IS a bottle jack that is capable of sideways propulsion, it
would be clearly labeled as one. Is that the case?

Agreed......
They all do look the same.

Like I said, none of them I've seen in the stores ever mention the
position they are made to be used. Those intended for horizontal use
should say so. Those intended for vertical use should say "verticle use
only".

(I doubt these verticle ones would work upside down either).

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:11:33 -0500, fred.flintstone wrote:
Having dont lots of building of darn near everything over the years,
I've seen a need for some sort of jacks, as well as clamps and other
devices to move large or heavy objects on a horizontal plane. Yet,
there is nothing made to do this. Bottle jacks dont work on their side,
C-clamps, and Pony clamps all tighten INWARD. Of all the tools onm the
market, there seems to be nothing made to move heavy objects OUTWARD.

I've used good ol' hand-wound scissor jacks for that kind of thing in the
past, so long as the force needed isn't that great (i.e. less than or
equivalent to raising whatever vehicle the jack came from :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position,
until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something
horizontally. The jack did not function. I grabbed another jack and
found the same problem. I researched this, and found that these jacks
are not meant to be used on their sides, and learned the reason, which
is all because the fluid must be on the bottom to operate.

Can you face the handle down--- or at least to the side?

If not, use a screw jack, a scissor jack, or go whole hog and get one
of these-
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-h...kit-44899.html

Now that I fully understand how these jacks work and their limitations,
I'm still looking for something to move heavy objects on a horizontal
plane. These uses may be to move a small shed a foot back, because that
once small tree has grown large and is touching the overhang.

I'd grab my 6' pry bar somebody made from an old car axle and have the
shed moved a foot before you got the jack in place.

-snip-
there is nothing made to do this. Bottle jacks dont work on their side,
C-clamps, and Pony clamps all tighten INWARD. Of all the tools onm the
market, there seems to be nothing made to move heavy objects OUTWARD.

I have a 3/4" hard bolt about 18" long that I've used more than once
to push things apart.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I think people who say Google is your friend are morons. I googled
horizontal jack, and it is like being hit by a haystack. A ton of
worthless crap that one has to sift through to find just what it is
one is looking for.

Be more specific in your search terms and you'll get better results. The
phrase "horizontal bottle jack" gets numerous useful links on the first
page. IOW, "user error"

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And while we're at it. I'm still looking for the other kind of tool.
A C-clamp or any type of clamp that clamps OUTWARD. In some cases, a
bottle jack is just not feasible to use. Why is it that all clamps
are made to clamp inward?

Harbor Freight is your friend.

12" Ratching Bar Clamp/Spreader
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch...der-46807.html

For bigger stuff, an old fashioned, ratching, bumper jack should move things
along nicely.

The "Jaws of Life" kit probably has attachements that would work, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

They aren't. It isn't hard to find a clamp that spreads.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...=887&bi h=506

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 5:08*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 13:48:52 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:
I think people who say Google is your friend are morons. *I googled

Agreed!!!!!

So now we have the guy who had to come here
asking about a bottle jack that would work sideways
calling me a moron. And I'm the one that found him
the bottle jack in 10 seconds on Google and provided
the first reply solving his problem. So much for thanks.

As for Steve B:

" I googled
horizontal jack, and it is like being hit by a haystack. A ton of
worthless
crap that one has to sift through to find just what it is one is
looking
for. I just posted a post asking the question if a jack that works in
the
horizontal position looks anything different than a regular one. I
looked
at about ten sites, and I could not find one that had that tidbit of
information. I'm busy. I don't want to sift hay for an hour. I
like
having a forum where one can ask a common question, and then not get
smart
assed remarks, just the facts. "

I used google and found the jack at harbor freight in about
10 seconds. So, I'd say the problem isn't google. It's just
that google is too sophisticated a tool for Steve.
And then you have to love this from him too:

" I like having a forum where one can ask a common
question, and then not get smart assed remarks,
just the facts. "

I provided the facts. I found a bottle jack that works
horizontally. Steve is the one in the forum with the
smart assed remarks that have nothing to do with the
question.

Who's the moron now, moron?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My understanding from my old man (he used to run a 'hydraulic and
small engine shop) is tht a bottle jack will run horizontally but only
in one position. I would assume, if true, the position wouild be with
the pump on the bottom.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just googled it (sorry but it works) and found several discussions
saying it works with the jack positioned with pump on bottom. Awkward
for sure, but works. Search string "bottle jack works on side"

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 2:08*pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, but they all seem to be special purpose from a quick google .
Try search string:

reverse force clamp

I don't understand the "anti google" bit. All I get when I use it is
either one "google"
advert at top and the search field, or no advert at all, jsut a blank
page with the search field.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

12" Ratching Bar Clamp/Spreaderhttp://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-ratchet-bar-clamp-spreader-46807...

For bigger stuff, an old fashioned, ratching, bumper jack should move things
along nicely.

The "Jaws of Life" kit probably has attachements that would work, too.

Thanks. I knew I had seen the HF one somewhere.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:18:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-
there is nothing made to do this. Bottle jacks dont work on their side,
C-clamps, and Pony clamps all tighten INWARD. Of all the tools onm the
market, there seems to be nothing made to move heavy objects OUTWARD.

I have a 3/4" hard bolt about 18" long that I've used more than once
to push things apart.

Jim

You wanna explain how to do this?

Ok, the head goes against one object. All you got on the other side is
the nut, and that dont leave much surface to push against anything.

I used to work for a flooring guy who had several half inch bolts, (or
5/8") from 2 inches to about 5 inches long. When he had to lift one of
those old heavy cast iron steam heating radiators, he found the closest
bolt that would fit under the radiator, and screw the nut to the end of
the threads to lift the radiator 1/4 inch to push new linoleum under the
legs. But that was only a quarter inch of lift, and more than once he
went beyond the threads and had the radiator fall off the bolt. Luckily
he never got his fingers smashed (that I know of).

I used to think "why dont they make a real short bottle jack for that
sort of thing"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 6:20*pm, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 8/8/12 2:11 PM, wrote: I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position,
until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something
horizontally. *The jack did not function. *I grabbed another jack and
found the same problem. *I researched this, and found that these jacks
are not meant to be used on their sides, and learned the reason, which
is all because the fluid must be on the bottom to operate.

* * *Cut rest due to AIOE quoting limitations.

* *I've used what look like regular bottle jacks sideways without any
problem. *It's automatic for me to put the handle side down. *I had no
idea there were special ones for horizontal use.

Yep. As long as the pump side is down they will work. Some of them
you don't even have to have the pump down.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:18:24 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
Be more specific in your search terms and you'll get better results. The
phrase "horizontal bottle jack" gets numerous useful links on the first
page. IOW, "user error"

Exactly. I don't know what the hell "unknown" searched on but whatever it was you probably had to be frickin' clairvoyant to figure out what he MEANT.

I typed "jack for horizontal use" in google, and the second link I got was this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7433418_use-...-position.html

WOW. It TELLS you how to use any ordinary everyday bottle jack in a horizontal position! Guess what? It WORKS!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 23:15:50 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:18:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-
there is nothing made to do this. Bottle jacks dont work on their side,
C-clamps, and Pony clamps all tighten INWARD. Of all the tools onm the
market, there seems to be nothing made to move heavy objects OUTWARD.

I have a 3/4" hard bolt about 18" long that I've used more than once
to push things apart.

Jim

You wanna explain how to do this?

Ok, the head goes against one object. All you got on the other side is
the nut, and that dont leave much surface to push against anything.

That bolt has been kicking around in my garage for 30 years. it's got
4 nuts on it. I've made an assortment of 'attachments' over the
years. Most are made from pieces of angle iron-- one involved some
1/2" plate and a 12" bolt. [and after looking at Oren's link- I'm
threading a pipe nipple onto it for storage]

As luck/age would have it, I can picture the thing on the bench in the
garage and all the iron bits hanging off of it--- but darned if my
grey matter will give up a single time I actually used it. I *know*
I have-- just can't remember what for.

It would probably all be prettier if I could weld-- but gravity and
friction hold it together.

I used to work for a flooring guy who had several half inch bolts, (or
5/8") from 2 inches to about 5 inches long. When he had to lift one of
those old heavy cast iron steam heating radiators, he found the closest
bolt that would fit under the radiator, and screw the nut to the end of
the threads to lift the radiator 1/4 inch to push new linoleum under the
legs. But that was only a quarter inch of lift, and more than once he
went beyond the threads and had the radiator fall off the bolt. Luckily
he never got his fingers smashed (that I know of).

A coupling nut would get him almost 2" of lift/push. I've used a
crossbuckle nut to 'push' things apart. Sky's the limit with those
guys.

I used to think "why dont they make a real short bottle jack for that
sort of thing"?

You can carry a bolt in your pocket-- porta-power calls for *big*
pockets.

Jim