Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homelite gas string trimmer

Got one of these, and it is cranky. Probably in the 22cc range. Tried
cleaning the carb, but can't get it to work. Got spark, got gas. Damn
thing. What am I missing? Invest in a carb kit, and just do it again? Is
there a compression rating on these things? It seems not to have a lot of
compression when pulling the handle, or not as much as I would expect.
Guess I have to search for my compression gauge and see what it is. What
should the compression reading be?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

About 100 psi in a cold engine. Have you tried starting fluid?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had my puller string detach yesterday. It is still coiling back in
but it is not turning the engine. It is out on the curb.
Sounds exactly what you describe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 08:11:59 -0400, "Dave M."
wrote:

Steve,

About 100 psi in a cold engine. Have you tried starting fluid?

Dave M.

I would try this fluid as a first choice. Something can be stuck in
the carb (gum, varnish) . A butterfly baffle in the carb, etc. A
dirty venturi - lack of fuel and oxygen.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/carburetor-throttle-body-cleaners/51