Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT White lists and email

On 8/4/12 4:08 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Here is a workable idea, if I could just convince Gmail to try it.
When you sign up for an email address you can have the option of using
a permission only email address. You always have the option of using
your regular email address that passes everything,
but Gmail also gives you an address like

Anything going to
(spamblock) would be blocked.
The contacts you have for
are automatically passed
to the permission only address. Any email you send from either
address will be white listed and passed to the permission only
address.

You can also have Gmail store passwords so that any emails that have
the password in the subject and/or body will pass. You can use more
than one password that can be permanent or expire.

Hint. Your first name or nickname would be a good permanent password
that you could give to your friends and put on business cards.

You could even post your permission only address on Usenet with a
password that expired every month.

put crazyhead in the subject for permission to
email me.

My isp, Internet Nebraska, uses a challenge system called
MailAgent. It automatically sends an email to unknown senders asking
for a response. It lets messages through to my account if the sender
replies. I can also deny or allow permission to certain senders.
INebraska also uses something called Postini. I don't know anything
about that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 00:22:13 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 23:50:15 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 22:58:18 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 17:08:31 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

[...]

Google makes most of it's money selling your info to spammers. Why
would they want to limit that?

I don't think that is true. They use/sell your search results, but
not your personal information.

The way to find out would be to start a G mail account and never
actually use it. Just be logged into Google when you are searching and
see what spam it collects.

I agree. I have a second one. I opened the account several months
ago because I wanted to use two versions of Google Reader without
having to log off of one to use the other.

The in box has two messages. Both are from Google + One is July 13
and the other is July 27. I tried using Google + with that account
once. That is most likely why the two emails are there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote in news:jvkl59$o4t$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

My isp, Internet Nebraska, uses a challenge system called
MailAgent. It automatically sends an email to unknown senders asking
for a response. It lets messages through to my account if the sender
replies. I can also deny or allow permission to certain senders.
INebraska also uses something called Postini. I don't know anything
about that.

Postini is an anti-spam service run by Google that they sell to ISPs. It is
fully customizable and works very well in stopping spam and viruses.

Once a day at 11:00pm, users receive an automated Quarantine email from
their ISP that lists the messages that were trapped during the past 24-
hours. If you decide you want one of the trapped messages delivered anyway,
you click on a "Deliver" button in the email, and that message will be sent
to you. The "Deliver button doesn't work very reliably, though. Often you
need to log on to the Postini site (link provided in the Quarantine
message), and do your "Deliver" from there.

The downside of the 24-hour Quarantine system is that occasionally
legitimate emails will get trapped, and you won't know about it until
11:00pm that night, which can be a problem when working with business
emails. Virus traps are reported to you immediately.

Postini is a good thing.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

[...]

They've installed a similar system at work. I don't know what the algorithm
is but in addition to just having the trapped emails sent, one has the option
of whitelisting those senders. I don't know if they bought it from Google but
it really does work well (no problems with the "deliver" button, either).

At my PPoE they had a similar setup but there was no daily message with the
list of trapped messages. Weeks could go by before I checked the trash folder
for important emails. This really didn't work so well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

Postini is a good thing.

They've installed a similar system at work. I don't know what the
algorithm is but in addition to just having the trapped emails sent,
one has the option of whitelisting those senders.

Postini has that, too. You can blacklist/whitelist entire domains, or
individual addresses. Some domains (Hotmail, for one) that are notorious
for spam are blacklisted by default, and each address needs to be
whitelisted indivudually.

I don't know if
they bought it from Google but it really does work well (no problems
with the "deliver" button, either).

Next time you get a Quarantine report, mouse-over the Deliver button and
see if the reported URL contains the string "postini".

I don't know how much customization each ISP does to its Postini system.
It's possible that each ISP's implementation of Postini is slightly
different (mine might be the only one that automatically blacklists
Hotmail, for instance).

At my PPoE they had a similar setup but there was no daily message
with the list of trapped messages. Weeks could go by before I checked
the trash folder for important emails. This really didn't work so
well.

You can knock Google for certain things, but overall they do a pretty good
job of what they do.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 22:03:45 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

Postini is a good thing.

They've installed a similar system at work. I don't know what the
algorithm is but in addition to just having the trapped emails sent,
one has the option of whitelisting those senders.

Postini has that, too. You can blacklist/whitelist entire domains, or
individual addresses. Some domains (Hotmail, for one) that are notorious
for spam are blacklisted by default, and each address needs to be
whitelisted indivudually.

When you say "blacklisted" you mean trapped by "Postini" by default. ...and
"whitelisted" bypass Postini? With the work system, I'm sure there are some
sites that are so black that they don't even show up in the report. They have
the systems locked down so tight it's hard to get anything done.

I don't know if
they bought it from Google but it really does work well (no problems
with the "deliver" button, either).

Next time you get a Quarantine report, mouse-over the Deliver button and
see if the reported URL contains the string "postini".

I'll try to remember do that in the morning. I don't recall any URLs
reported, though (it's an OutHouse email system).

I don't know how much customization each ISP does to its Postini system.
It's possible that each ISP's implementation of Postini is slightly
different (mine might be the only one that automatically blacklists
Hotmail, for instance).

This is a corporate system, not an ISP but I suppose there isn't a lot of
difference.

At my PPoE they had a similar setup but there was no daily message
with the list of trapped messages. Weeks could go by before I checked
the trash folder for important emails. This really didn't work so
well.

You can knock Google for certain things, but overall they do a pretty good
job of what they do.

Yes, unfortunately, they do *too* good of a job at some things they do. I
don't use anything Google, if I can reasonably avoid it. SketchUp is one
where I kick myself but just gotta do it anyway. ;-) "Do no harm", my ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Except that spammers take names they have in one domain, and spray
them across others -- so if
is on a spam list,
it's pretty much guaranteed that
will be tried
blindly also. You'd have to set up a gmail account with a name so
unique it couldn't be in use elsewhere for this experiment to be
somewhat valid.

Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

Postini has that, too. You can blacklist/whitelist entire domains, or
individual addresses. Some domains (Hotmail, for one) that are
notorious for spam are blacklisted by default, and each address needs
to be whitelisted indivudually.

When you say "blacklisted" you mean trapped by "Postini" by default.
...and "whitelisted" bypass Postini?

Yes.

With the work system, I'm sure
there are some sites that are so black that they don't even show up in
the report. They have the systems locked down so tight it's hard to
get anything done.

Might be part of the customization. My wife's bank has their systems
locked down very tightly indeed. Not only are some sites and servers
totally invisible, but the workstations are so tightly shut that you
can't even change the desktop wallpaper or the printer options.

I don't know if
they bought it from Google but it really does work well (no problems
with the "deliver" button, either).

Next time you get a Quarantine report, mouse-over the Deliver button
and see if the reported URL contains the string "postini".

I'll try to remember do that in the morning. I don't recall any URLs
reported, though (it's an OutHouse email system).

Then it's probably Microsoft Exchange, a very popular enterprise-level
messaging system. Exchange strips TCP/IP information from messages and
stores it in separate files.

I don't know how much customization each ISP does to its Postini
system. It's possible that each ISP's implementation of Postini is
slightly different (mine might be the only one that automatically
blacklists Hotmail, for instance).

This is a corporate system, not an ISP but I suppose there isn't a lot
of difference.

It may well be Postini. Postini appears to be usable with Exchange.

At my PPoE they had a similar setup but there was no daily message
with the list of trapped messages. Weeks could go by before I
checked the trash folder for important emails. This really didn't
work so well.

You can knock Google for certain things, but overall they do a pretty
good job of what they do.

Yes, unfortunately, they do *too* good of a job at some things they
do. I don't use anything Google, if I can reasonably avoid it.
SketchUp is one where I kick myself but just gotta do it anyway. ;-)
"Do no harm", my ass.

I use 3DS Max in my job, so SketchUp isn't really useful for me. I did
download it and try it out, though. For a free program, it's not bad at
all.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 12:15:40 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

It is Exchange.

I don't know how much customization each ISP does to its Postini
system. It's possible that each ISP's implementation of Postini is
slightly different (mine might be the only one that automatically
blacklists Hotmail, for instance).

This is a corporate system, not an ISP but I suppose there isn't a lot
of difference.

It may well be Postini. Postini appears to be usable with Exchange.

Yep. It is Postini.

At my PPoE they had a similar setup but there was no daily message
with the list of trapped messages. Weeks could go by before I
checked the trash folder for important emails. This really didn't
work so well.

You can knock Google for certain things, but overall they do a pretty
good job of what they do.

Yes, unfortunately, they do *too* good of a job at some things they
do. I don't use anything Google, if I can reasonably avoid it.
SketchUp is one where I kick myself but just gotta do it anyway. ;-)
"Do no harm", my ass.

I use 3DS Max in my job, so SketchUp isn't really useful for me. I did
download it and try it out, though. For a free program, it's not bad at
all.

One of the guys here output our board data and sucked it into SketchUp to get
a 3D view of the circuit board. It was pretty slick but something that could
be done far better by a better CAD system.

I just use SketchUp for woodworking stuff. Zero cost is important. ;-)