Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old home intercom.

I have a home intercom in a two story condo from 1963.
The intercom has three built in wall units that were
installed at the time of construction. One unit is
outside next to the front door and there is a unit
on each floor. There are eight apartments and they all
have the same type of intercom. Below the first floor
is a parking area and above the second floor is a
flat roof. The power source for the intercom is not
behind any of the units and don’t seem to be in the
parking area or on the roof. I checked some of the
closets but I didn’t go through them inch by inch.
The units seem to have some power coming in so I
assume that the power source is still somewhere and
operational. I would like to locate the power source
without having to buy a three thousand dollar cable
tracker and would appreciate any input as far as
what the usual location might be when installing
a power source for intercoms of this type for similar
layouts?
Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*If it is a remote transformer it is supposed to be accessible. Usually
the easiest place for installation is on or near the electrical panel, but
in a condo it could be almost anywhere. I suggest flipping each circuit
breaker off one at a time to see which one shuts down the intercom power.
If it is connected to an outlet or lighting circuit, that may help narrowing
the location down. Did you open up the electrical panel to see if anything
was inside or seem to be attached to the exterior of the panel, but in the
wall? Is there an attic space that you get up into and look around?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 11:39*pm, wrote:
[...]

first try the obvious ask each unit owner if they have located the
power source...

my home had a missing doorbell, transformer in basement, wirest to
front door, and wires going somewhere but i didnt have a clue where
the bell originally was.

asked a friendly neighbor, tract home, all similiar. found the wires
within 5 minutes and have had a doorbell ever since with near zero
work.....

if you can detect power at the units try tripping breakers till you
find which breaker the units are on...

is your purpose to discnnect them permanetely? replace them? or try to
repair them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/04/12 08:13 am, John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

snip

Does that mean that the doorbell transformer that I discovered next to a
now-unused ceramic light socket above a suspended ceiling is in
violation of the Code?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 9:49*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

Perce- Hide quoted text -

If the suspended ceiling panels are removable, then
anything there is accessible. It doesn't have to be out
in the open, just accessible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 5:13:02 AM UTC-7, John G wrote:
[...]

I didn’t try turning off the breakers to narrow down the location because it is a very small condo but it’s better than nothing, I will try that. I didn’t think of opening the service electrical panel because I didn’t think they would put low voltage in with high voltage but now that I think about it who know what they would have done in 1963. I will also try that. There is no attic at all. Thank you for the suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 6:36:07 AM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:
On Aug 3, 11:39*pm, wrote:

[...]

The owners of the apartments are some of the most clueless people I know so I didn’t try that but I will ask them anyway. I like to repair them and I know a place that should have all the parts that I need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:42:05 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

No suspended ceiling, just sheetrock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

{{{{{

The intercom should have a make/model number somewhere (typically on the
outside) with more info on a name plate inside.

That would be a big help.

That said most of those of the 60's vintage ran on a 24 VAC transformer not
unlike the door bell transformers (and may well be shared by the bell)

I would mention that the electolited filter capacitors are very likely bad
and you may have a heck of a hum in the audio as a result.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 6:23*pm, "NotMe" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Interesting angle. And even if the transformer is not shared, I would
think
there is a good chance it could be located by the doorbell one. When
wiring
these things doing the intercom and doorbell at the same time since
they
end in the same place seems logical and they could be in the same
place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 08:13:02 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

[...]

If you removed one of them, there MUST be some sort of power wire
entering the back of it.

Since you did not say what you intend to do, I can not assist more....

However it you just want them disconnected, simply cut the wires off
each intercom and wirenut them. You dont have to wirenut speaker wires,
just those that have power. If you want to fix them, take each one to a
tv-radio repair shop. I dont doubt that most of them still work, so try
them first. From 1963, these may still be tube type?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 09:49:10 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

Stupid, yes, but not counter to code as a suspended ceiling (T-bar"
type) qualifies as "accessible". Unless the area above the ceiling is
used as an air return "plenum", in which case it violates a different
code section.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 17:23:26 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Up here in Ontario, many Nutone systems were installed that DID share
the doorbell transformer - and many of the intercoms WERE the doorbell
if I remember correctly. My late father installed quite a few in his
job as a residential electrician.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Maybe it did share the same transformer at one time but it doesn’t anymore because even if I turn-off the power supplying the doorbell I’m still getting a 10.5 VDC from the intercom circuit while the doorbell transformer is reading a little over 12 VAC. This leads me to believe that whether 10.5 VDC is the correct voltage or not it sure isn’t AC and not on the same circuit as the doorbell, but thank you for your input.