Bill

Default Home intercom system questions/suggestions

Our home has a broken 70's Nutone (tube type) AM/FM intercom system.
We did initially try to have this unit repaired and the tech said it
was cheaper to replace. The cabling to each room is 3 wires. We are
looking for a basic intercom to replace this; the primary purpose to
play CD music throughout the house. I have looked a little on Ebay and
such and most systems are in the $500-700 range here. Any ideas how
we could get this done for less? We are pretty frugal here! Thanks
in advance - Bill
mark Ransley

Tubes can still be purchased to repair your unit, try a different
repair shop, or pull the tubes take them to be tested, music stores have
dealers that sell tubes at fair prices, I know of a few. The repair
should not be that bad if it recently worked.

m.w.logsdon

I know I'm getting kinda old, but I think tube devices were about gone in
the 70's. Your system is probably a little older than that. And simply
repairing it isn't going to meet your need to play CD's throughout the
house, particularly since it likely isn't stereo so you'd only get either
the left or right channel.

You are probably going to have to spend a little to up grade. If you're
really only looking for speaker output in each room (and not 2-way
communications) you might be able to retro-fit something using the existing
3-wire cable. Most likely to get anything worth listening to you're going
to have to bite the bullet and install totally new.

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
2nd attempt hoping someone with intercom experience sees this...

om...