Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where can I buy ducting wall cap?

I give up!! I just need an 8 inch diameter duct wall cap cover with
NO damper built in that will accept the male mating surface of the 8
inch diameter right angle elbow going into it. Again, NO DAMPER, just
the flush exterior cover over the standard anti bird screening.
Probably flashing to mount to the sheathing material of the wall.

Not at Home Depot. Home Depot carries the 8 inch diameter ducting, the
8 inch diameter 90 deg elbow, but NOT WALL CAPS?!

Not at Lowes. Lowes carries an 8 inch cap, but found out that is a
metal termination, not a wall cap.

Searches on google keeps coming up with models that have built in
dampers; don't want that type; the damper is built into the range
hood.

The range hood with fan hangs above the cooking surface on the
exterior wall. Its 8 inch diameter duct goes straight up. Then Home
Depot's right angle turns 90 degrees to the wall and the male part [1
inch long fluting] of the elbow just reaches past the interior wall
surface [as it should]

Just need to go that remaining short distance into an 8 inch wall
cap.

There was an unconnected 7 inch diameter wall cap mounted into the
exterior wall [in the wrong place] that had its female mounting
surface flush with the interior surface. This suggests that *if* I can
find an 8 inch wall cap of similar depth , all will work out
perfectly. But, haven't found one yet!

Help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Finad a local "sheet metal shop".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 8:22*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

You might have to neck down the 8 in to 7 in and use the 7 in cap.
Have you tried a large-scale hardware place like Grainger?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

might try plumbing (hvac) places
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

I'll admit that i don't quite understand your installation requirements,
but I'll toss this out...

Can you either seal the damper or remove it from the available ones that
you can find?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 6:22*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Any business installing furnace or air conditioning will either have
it or be able to custom make on.

The y needed to fabricat a custom piece when installing my new
furnace. Took them onyi a fe minutes at the truck.

Harry K
Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:31*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
...snip....
You might have to neck down the 8 in to 7 in and use the 7 in cap.
Have you tried *a large-scale hardware place like Grainger?

no room for the neck down,
again the elbow turns, and inserts slightly INTO the wall; the wall
cap is thick so that its edge is almost flush with the interior wall.

that means that *IF* the wall cap were 8 inch; I'd be done
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:55*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

If I purchased a damper, I'd leave it in. However, the damper is a
useless gravity held shut flap [well not really, when closed, gravity
applies no force whatsoever to hold it shut.] But worst of all, these
damper assemblies have the ugliest contraption sticking out. Don't
want something so ugly mounted just above head height on the outside
of my home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:31*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
...snip...
You might have to neck down the 8 in to 7 in and use the 7 in cap.
Have you tried *a large-scale hardware place like Grainger?

Grainger configured some type of whiz bang unit, but have never
continued discussion past the point of saying they can do it!

I don't know if it's the state I'm in, Arizona - bigger weasel state
that Califronia for having its citizens NOT ever do what they
volunteer to do for you; or the order is just too small to mess with.
$90 is not much to make much effort over, but they definitely have
lost any future work from me. And, definitely a ding to their
reputation from posting this conversation in public.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote the following on 7/27/2012 9:22 PM (ET):
[...]

http://www.ventingdirect.com/wall-caps/c11839
2nd one down.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:52*pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

thank you for the URL. I had found this one, but....

it HAS a damper of very poor design, and as a result has that ugly
extension sticking out of the wall, haning on the outside of my home.
That is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

By poor design I mean that when their damper is closed, there is
ABSOLUTELY no force trying to maintain it being closed! Yet, as the
damper opens it takes more and more force to keep it open because the
cantilevered weight of the flap increases. Move the damper flap back
inside the wall a bit, use a small cantilevered weight to maintain
positve closing pressure and have that weight positioned so that as
the vent opens it is easier to maintain it open and I'll buy it! Right
now, just flush mount the exterior grill is all I need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 12:00*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

now, just flush mount the exterior grill is all I need.- Hide quoted text -

But if the exterior cover is flush with the wall, there is no place
for the air to get out, or do you mean you just want a grilled cover,
with no rain protection???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 10:00*am, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Check this site out to see if their offerings might satisfy your
requirements.

http://www.luxurymetals.com/WallVents.html

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 11:00*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

Maybe he's installing it in a protected location?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 12:04*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

these are pretty simple

http://www.luxurymetals.com/copper_eave_vent.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 11:00*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

Flush is a relattive term here. The wall is over 10 feet tall, along ,
so a louvered plastic cover [with the louvers keeping out rain] that
sticks out 3/8 inch pretty much 'looks' flush along the side of the
house.for about 100 feet - on side where pool would go..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 12:05*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:00*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

I'm lumping my replies to your three posts here...

Thank you for specific URLs, I'll call LuxuryMetal to see if they have
what I need.
the first one have that ugly slope to them sticking out of the wal.
the second one is closer, but even mounted slightly down under an eve
side blowing rain can get in, plus with no louvered type cover grill
it's ugly to look inside
it is slightly protected but still should have a visual block and a
slant rain block.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Luxury Metals DOES NOT carry any wall cap covers except the type with
the sloping exterior - what I called ugly. They recommended
Copperlabs.com and YES they have EXACTLY what will work:
a Louvred somewhat flush to stucco wall cap cover for 8 inch diameter
ducts!
cost $270.00

about 10x too much !!!