Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

Default Delays DUcting New Wall

Back in 1987 I saw the first steel-stud construction in an office I
was working in. The put up the studs and the sheet rock in two days
flat. But then they took three months doing the electrical and HVAC
ducting. Why? What can be done to change this? Is there a way that
the placement of the ducts can be so standardised that this can also
be "plug and play"? I believe that because of Katrina, they can now
prefab the entire wall's studs by CAD/CAM, but what about the ducting?
I admit that was a 1950s building, so the retrofit may have been the
bottleneck.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

Dear vjp2...:

On Oct 13, 10:27*pm, wrote:
Back in 1987 I saw the first steel-stud construction in
an office I was working in. The put up the studs and
the sheet rock in two days flat.

Then waited for inspections.

But then they took three months doing the electrical
and HVAC ducting. *Why?

Other trades, other contractors, inspections, and the usual delays
coordinating these things.

What can be done to change this?

Prefabbed completed walls and ceiling modules. Like a "mobile
home"...

Is there a way that the placement of the ducts
can be so standardised that this can also
be "plug and play"?

Not so much. Each space has unique ventillation requirements, to get
somewhere close to being comfortable for occupants. Not that they get
implemented optimally, but only as the drop-in ceiling grid permits.

I believe that because of Katrina, they can now
prefab the entire wall's studs by CAD/CAM, but
what about the ducting? I admit that was a
1950s building, so the retrofit may have been the
bottleneck.

Doubtful. New or old, the delays are hysterically in inspections and
coordination. There is some "hand in glove" efficiency in all new
construction... you get to define the ground each step stands on...
but this is a few days in savings at best.

David A. Smith
Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

Back in 1987 I saw the first steel-stud construction in an office I
was working in. The put up the studs and the sheet rock in two days
flat. But then they took three months doing the electrical and HVAC
ducting. Why? What can be done to change this? Is there a way that
the placement of the ducts can be so standardised that this can also
be "plug and play"? I believe that because of Katrina, they can now
prefab the entire wall's studs by CAD/CAM, but what about the ducting?
I admit that was a 1950s building, so the retrofit may have been the
bottleneck.

*Usually the ducts go in before anything else and then studs, then wiring
and finally drywall. If the walls go up first it will take longer.

Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

On Oct 14, 1:27*am, wrote:
Back in 1987 I saw the first steel-stud construction in an office I
was working in. The put up the studs and the sheet rock in two days
flat. But then they took three months doing the electrical and HVAC
ducting. *Why? What can be done to change this? Is there a way that
the placement of the ducts can be so standardised that this can also
be "plug and play"? I believe that because of Katrina, they can now
prefab the entire wall's studs by CAD/CAM, but what about the ducting?
I admit that was a 1950s building, so the retrofit may have been the
bottleneck.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm...k.com/vasjpan2
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

"Back in 1987 I saw the first steel-stud construction in an office
I was working in"

Just curious...

What took you so long to ask about a situation you witnessed almost 20
years ago?

Has it been nagging you all this time and you just couldn't hold it in
any longer?

Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

On Oct 14, 9:46*am, PeterD wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 05:27:15 +0000 (UTC),

wrote:

Back in 1987 I saw the first steel-stud construction in an office I
was working in. The put up the studs and the sheet rock in two days
flat. But then they took three months doing the electrical and HVAC
ducting. *Why? What can be done to change this? Is there a way that
the placement of the ducts can be so standardised that this can also
be "plug and play"? I believe that because of Katrina, they can now
prefab the entire wall's studs by CAD/CAM, but what about the ducting?
I admit that was a 1950s building, so the retrofit may have been the
bottleneck.

I suspect there is more to the story than you are saying (factors you
were unaware of...)

Generally steel stud walls are done much like wood studs, put in
studs, wire/duct/utilities, then sheet-rock. Should take about the
same time as with wood.

Steel studs are far faster than wood for framing out partitioning,
soffits and the like. Probably about 2/3's quicker.

As far as the OP's observation, a sample of one is not sufficient.
Depending on where and when, the lead time for any particular custom
fabricated item, such as ductwork, could take anywhere from a week to
three months. When I worked in commercial construction way back when,
the tin knockers had one of the biggest backlogs of work and the
delays in getting the duct installed was substantial.

Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

wrote:

[...]

One of many reasons those damn ugly drop ceilings became the industry
standard, never mind the sculptured plaster ceiling you were hiding up
above on old work. You can run the ducts with cheap off-the-shelf parts
in the now-dead space above the finish ceiling.

--
aem, who who rather look at exposed duct runs hanging in space than a
drop ceiling, sends....
Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

*+- "Back in 1987 I saw the first steel-stud construction in an office
*+-I was working in"

*+-Just curious...

*+-What took you so long to ask about a situation you witnessed almost 20
*+-years ago?

I took a PDF in steel stud construction and it triggered my memory

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

*+-*Usually the ducts go in before anything else and then studs, then wiring
*+-and finally drywall. If the walls go up first it will take longer.

Now, THAT explains it best. Thanks!

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

*+-I suspect there is more to the story than you are saying (factors you
*+-were unaware of...)

Well, that's why I asked.

I suspect the techniques were still new back then.

I hadn't seen it before.

What I am pretty sure I saw and most today say could not have been is
they used these red "nails" which to me seemed like plastic. And of
course, if they were plastic, how could they align it to the hole behind
the drywall?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech

On Nov 4, 10:36*pm, wrote:
*+-*Usually the ducts go in before anything else and then studs, then wiring
*+-and finally drywall. *If the walls go up first it will take longer.

Now, THAT explains it best. Thanks!

No, it doesn't.