Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Where can I buy ducting wall cap?

On Jul 28, 7:52*pm, willshak wrote:
Robert Macy wrote the following on 7/27/2012 9:22 PM (ET):

I give up!! *I just need an 8 inch diameter duct wall cap cover with
NO damper built in that will accept the male mating surface of the 8
inch diameter right angle elbow going into it. Again, NO DAMPER, just
the flush exterior cover over the standard anti bird screening.
Probably flashing to mount to the sheathing material of the wall.

Not at Home Depot. Home Depot carries the 8 inch diameter ducting, the
8 inch diameter 90 deg elbow, but NOT WALL CAPS?!

Not at Lowes. Lowes carries an 8 inch cap, but found out that is a
metal termination, not a wall cap.

Searches on google keeps coming up with models that have built in
dampers; don't want that type; the damper is built into the range
hood.

The range hood with fan hangs above the cooking surface on the
exterior wall. Its 8 inch diameter duct goes straight up. Then Home
Depot's right angle turns 90 degrees to the wall and the male part [1
inch long fluting] of the elbow just reaches past the interior wall
surface [as it should]

Just need to go that remaining short distance into an 8 inch wall
cap.

There was an unconnected 7 inch diameter wall cap mounted into the
exterior wall [in the wrong place] that had its female mounting
surface flush with the interior surface. This suggests that *if* I can
find an 8 inch wall cap of similar depth , all will work out
perfectly. But, haven't found one yet!

Help.

http://www.ventingdirect.com/wall-caps/c11839
2nd one down.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

thank you for the URL. I had found this one, but....

it HAS a damper of very poor design, and as a result has that ugly
extension sticking out of the wall, haning on the outside of my home.
That is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

By poor design I mean that when their damper is closed, there is
ABSOLUTELY no force trying to maintain it being closed! Yet, as the
damper opens it takes more and more force to keep it open because the
cantilevered weight of the flap increases. Move the damper flap back
inside the wall a bit, use a small cantilevered weight to maintain
positve closing pressure and have that weight positioned so that as
the vent opens it is easier to maintain it open and I'll buy it! Right
now, just flush mount the exterior grill is all I need.