Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher doesn't drain completely

Plunging a stopped up sink left stinky water in the dishwasher. (no air gap on this one, and we don't use the dishwasher much, I just didn't think ahead about forcing water that direction).

Running a wash cycle left an inch or so water in the bottom of the dishwasher.

I assumed the sink drain wasn't clear enough, so I pulled the trap and snaked the drain out. It took a long time, it was pretty narrow somewhere in there.

But the dishwasher still doesn't drain completely, just most of the way. I ran a smaller snake through the dishwasher drain hose, it seems clear and the copper part gets plenty hot, so some water moves through there.

What to try next?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 23, 2012 7:32:44 PM UTC-7, TimR wrote:
Plunging a stopped up sink left stinky water in the dishwasher. (no air gap on this one, and we don't use the dishwasher much, I just didn't think ahead about forcing water that direction).

Running a wash cycle left an inch or so water in the bottom of the dishwasher.

I assumed the sink drain wasn't clear enough, so I pulled the trap and snaked the drain out. It took a long time, it was pretty narrow somewhere in there.

But the dishwasher still doesn't drain completely, just most of the way. I ran a smaller snake through the dishwasher drain hose, it seems clear and the copper part gets plenty hot, so some water moves through there.

What to try next?

Did you clean the strainer inside the dishwasher. It should say in the owner's manual that you need to periodically clean the strainer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
Plunging a stopped up sink left stinky water in the dishwasher. (no air gap on this one, and we don't use the dishwasher much, I just didn't think ahead about forcing water that direction).

Running a wash cycle left an inch or so water in the bottom of the dishwasher.

I assumed the sink drain wasn't clear enough, so I pulled the trap and snaked the drain out. It took a long time, it was pretty narrow somewhere in there.

But the dishwasher still doesn't drain completely, just most of the way. I ran a smaller snake through the dishwasher drain hose, it seems clear and the copper part gets plenty hot, so some water moves through there.

What to try next?

Hi,
What style house? Bungalow with basement, 2 story with basement, etc.?
No access port the snaking the drain main pipe from the sink down?
Also disconect washer drain hose and using an empty bucket run the
washer to see if it drains OK or not(to prove what you think is right)
Does the sink drain water slower than ysyal? Is the vent stack clear?
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:

Plunging a stopped up sink left stinky water in the dishwasher. (no air gap on this one, and we don't use the dishwasher much, I just didn't think ahead about forcing water that direction).

Running a wash cycle left an inch or so water in the bottom of the dishwasher.

I assumed the sink drain wasn't clear enough, so I pulled the trap and snaked the drain out. It took a long time, it was pretty narrow somewhere in there.

But the dishwasher still doesn't drain completely, just most of the way. I ran a smaller snake through the dishwasher drain hose, it seems clear and the copper part gets plenty hot, so some water moves through there.

What to try next?

Go to repairclinic.com- put your model number in and see what they
say.

If it was my dishwasher I would suspect a clogged impeller screen or a
faulty flapper valve. Neither is expensive nor hard to get to.

repairclinic will guide you right to them in most cases-- and their
service on parts is excellent, their prices reasonable, but could be
better.

I like to support them because they have such good help online.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 10:32*pm, TimR wrote:

Running a wash cycle left an inch or so water in the bottom of the dishwasher.

Hit "Cancel" and wait a couple seconds. If nothing happens hit it
again and see if it drains the remaining the water.

Then run another wash cycle and see if it drains completely.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snaked it a bit longer and tried again, this time it drained.

Most likely I just didn't have the drain clean enough, or maybe running hot water through it cleared out a bit that I'd missed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:57:40 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Snaked it a bit longer and tried again, this time it drained.

Most likely I just didn't have the drain clean enough, or maybe running hot water through it cleared out a bit that I'd missed.

Nice to hear a success story !!!