Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Latex Primer and Drywall Mud

I've had a heck of a time lately with a few drywall repair projects
getting latex primer to stick to dry wall mud/compound

First off, I live in a jurisdiction that frowns upon oil based paints
and primers, axes them and makes them harder to buy, secondly my wife
requests that I use latex primers.

In the last 2 years I've used latex primers from Glidden, Zinsser 1-2-3
and BIN and Kilz2.

Just recently I used Kilz Premimin (not Kilz2 but a different product)
latex on my Mother-in-laws home on some repair. I still get the odd
peeling primer on my mud jobs. So I'm wondering if anyone here has got
some tips to using latex primer on mud.

How long are the cure times and how long before I can put tape on the
primer? Yes I'm cleaning and dusting my cured mudding

I think I've been doing something wrong but if anyone else has the same
issues...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 7:17*pm, Duesenberg wrote:
[...]

I've never had that problem, what kind of mud are you using???? I
always let mud dry several hours, and if I am really in a hurry, I use
a hair dryer, but then still wait a couple of hours for the subsurface
mositure to work its way out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 5:07*am, Duesenberg wrote:
On 7/22/2012 11:40 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I've never had that problem, what kind of mud are you using???? *I
always let mud dry several hours, and if I am really in a hurry, I use
a hair dryer, but then still wait a couple of hours for the subsurface
mositure to work its way out.

Good question, been using USG/CGC products, usually the pre-mix in a
small pail. Always takes me two attempts to fill a tape job or patch.

Sand with 180 or 220 grit. *Usually let it dry a day then sand then
wipe, let dry for 2 hours then prime.

100-120?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

They are a bit harder to sand, but setting type compounds are more
reliable wet or dry than premixed. FWIW, I gave up on premixed years
ago after adhesion, peeling, and other problems, even nasty mold
growing in the containers.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 9:46*am, Joe wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

I've used both types, never made a distinction in terms of
paintability.