Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil primer over latex paint?

I've just bought a house that's about 85 years old, and I have just
sanded, pressure washed, and TSP-ed the exterior, in that order. I am
now ready to prime the house. The problem is, some of the cedar
siding has been replaced recently, and the entire exterior has been
painted with latex paint. I got *most* of it off by sanding, and
there's a lot of bare wood showing. I'd like to use an oil primer to
penetrate into that bare wood, but I'm worried about an oil primer
sticking to the existing latex paint.

I've searched the archives, but everything seems to deal with latex
over oil, not the other way around. I'm a bit worried, truthfully,
that I'm going to spend all this time (and money--everything's so damn
expensive these days) carefully applying a coat of primer to my new/
old house and it's going to be peeling off in 6 months.

Should I just sacrifice the penetration of the oil primer for the
compatibility of the latex?

TIA,

Phil Crow
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 10:43 am, "Mike" wrote:
"Norminn" wrote in message

m...

wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with using oil primer over latex, and oil primer is choice
for cedar. If the latex
stuck through sanding and pw, it isn't going to come off. Might be good
to apply two coats
where you have bare wood. Be very serious about caulking.

Oil primer is for Bare wood. Not for going over Latex.

As long as it sticks, and the latex is stuck, which it seems to be,
it'll be fine.

No sense going ape**** prepping a job that will have to be redone in a
few years anyway.

I think it's wisest to remember to assess the point of diminishing
return, and it sounds to me like the OP has arrived there.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 6:51*am, wrote:
[...]

Cedar should not be painted it should be stained , solid stain looks
like paint but wont peel as bad, Use oil primer and it will take 2-3x
the amount you estimate, spraying oil stain would be best for the
first coat to seal it, in following years Latex can be used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
om...

[...]

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...ning/index.jsp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 10:32 am, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , Mike

wrote:
"Norminn" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

[...]

Nonsense.

--
Woodworking links and more athttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

A well prepped paint job on cedar can last 10 years or more.

Stain on cedar: true, it will be less likely to peel, but even solid
color stains will definitely need to be redone more frequently than
paint--3-5 years?

Oil primer over latex is probably fine, but check with a paint store
professional or the manufacturer.