Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pump monitor?

I am on a well system and over the years have been alerted to a leak
by hearing the pump running. It was never very loud but now has
become so weak as to be inaudilble...no, the fact that I am pushing 80
and can't hear my wife couldn't be the problem.

Anyhow. Anyone know of some sort of a cheap gadget that I could
either clamp to the pipe or set by it tht would turn on a light? I
could put that near the TV.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/7/2012 1:54 PM, Harry K wrote:
I am on a well system and over the years have been alerted to a leak
by hearing the pump running. It was never very loud but now has
become so weak as to be inaudilble...no, the fact that I am pushing 80
and can't hear my wife couldn't be the problem.

Anyhow. Anyone know of some sort of a cheap gadget that I could
either clamp to the pipe or set by it tht would turn on a light? I
could put that near the TV.

Easier would be a current detecting switch on the pump electrical feed
methinks...like one of the woodshop dust collector turn-on thingies as
an example product. If you're electronically handy, they're easy enough
to stick together w/ a few parts and turns around one lead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/12 2:54 PM, Harry K wrote:
I am on a well system and over the years have been alerted to a leak
by hearing the pump running. It was never very loud but now has
become so weak as to be inaudilble...no, the fact that I am pushing 80
and can't hear my wife couldn't be the problem.

Anyhow. Anyone know of some sort of a cheap gadget that I could
either clamp to the pipe or set by it tht would turn on a light? I
could put that near the TV.

Harry K

Fisher-Price makes wireless "Baby Monitors" that have sound and light
capabilities

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 7/7/2012 1:54 PM, Harry K wrote:
I am on a well system and over the years have been alerted to a leak
by hearing the pump running. It was never very loud but now has
become so weak as to be inaudilble...no, the fact that I am pushing 80
and can't hear my wife couldn't be the problem.

Anyhow. Anyone know of some sort of a cheap gadget that I could
either clamp to the pipe or set by it tht would turn on a light? I
could put that near the TV.

Easier would be a current detecting switch on the pump electrical feed
methinks...like one of the woodshop dust collector turn-on thingies as an
example product. If you're electronically handy, they're easy enough to
stick together w/ a few parts and turns around one lead.

I will assumed that pump is control by pressure switch why not just add
light bulb in parallel to the pump, if safety is problem you can have any
electrician to add small step down transformer to 24 volt ac or 12 then
you can use any car lights bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 4:29*pm, "grumpy" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ....
[...]

you can use any car lights bulb.- Hide quoted text -

That's what I was thinking too. Even better might be that connected
to some kind of timer device like a time delay relay, that would set
off a buzzer
if power was on for longer than some pre-determined time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:20*pm, Retired wrote:
On 7/7/12 2:54 PM, Harry K wrote:

I am on a well system and over the years have been alerted to a leak
by hearing the pump running. *It was never very loud but now has
become so weak as to be inaudilble...no, the fact that I am pushing 80
and can't hear my wife couldn't be the problem.

Anyhow. *Anyone know of some sort of a cheap gadget that I could
either clamp to the pipe or set by it tht would turn on a light? *I
could put that near the TV.

Harry K

Fisher-Price makes wireless "Baby Monitors" that have sound and light
capabilities

That's a possible, thanks.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:29*pm, "grumpy" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ....
[...]

That sounds like what I was thinking of. I'll take a look at the
pressure switch and seed if I can figure out where to tie in...or have
the step down thing built. Thanks.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's exactly what I have. A stepdown transformer, and an outlet box in the wall with a light plate on it in the living room where I can see it most of the time.