Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Draining boiler system

My house has a radiant heating boiler system which I will be removing. I am
beginning to drain the system and disassemble the unit. Since this is a
continuous system with three zones, there are no release valves anywhere
throughout the piping. Therefore, I wanted to ensure the proper method for
draining.

On the side of the boiler is a spigot which I know is the main draining
point. Though, I question the spigots located on three separate pipes, which
I assume is for each zone. Do I need to drain from them as well? Due to
suction/pressure in the system, I would think there may still be water even
after I drain the main spigot. Therefore, it appears logical to also drain
from the other three spigots.

Appreciate any help.

Here are photos of the spigots.

Main spigot on side of boiler
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1822394...in/photostream

Three spigots and three zones
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1822394...n/photostream/

Closer view of the three spigots
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1822394...n/photostream/

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 10:04:06 -0400, "Meanie" wrote:

My house has a radiant heating boiler system which I will be removing. I am
beginning to drain the system and disassemble the unit. Since this is a
continuous system with three zones, there are no release valves anywhere
throughout the piping. Therefore, I wanted to ensure the proper method for
draining.

On the side of the boiler is a spigot which I know is the main draining
point. Though, I question the spigots located on three separate pipes, which
I assume is for each zone. Do I need to drain from them as well? Due to
suction/pressure in the system, I would think there may still be water even
after I drain the main spigot. Therefore, it appears logical to also drain
from the other three spigots.

Drain the boiler, drain each zone. There may still be some residual
left depending on how the tubing is laid out with low spots.

It may or may not matter how well it is drained, depending on what you
are replacing it with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if there is some way to pump compressed air in, which will float.
The water will be displaced out. Inflate to 30 PSI, and then open the drain.
Repeat. I've never done this, just thinking out loud.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Meanie" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:07:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I wonder if there is some way to pump compressed air in, which will float.
The water will be displaced out. Inflate to 30 PSI, and then open the drain.
Repeat. I've never done this, just thinking out loud.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Once the boiler is cut from the supply line, you could put an airline
there. It would have to help move some water out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When you say removing are you saying that you will discard it
you furnace should have drain someplace on bottom of it for drain
and spigots use to brake vacuum which yes also may have some
water to come out, I have same in my home which I had drain few
times to replace circulating pump.

"Meanie" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The three spigot's are used for purging air out of the system when you
fill it.

Drain them all. If you have bleed valves on the radiators, opening
them will speed things up. It will take quite a while to drain and
you won't get all the water out unless you blow it out with air, and
probably not even then. You can apply air to each of the "3 spigots"
in turn, leaving the main drain open and closing the other two
spigots.

It looks like you have a single circulator pump and 3 zone valves. You
will want the zone valves open while you drain. Usually there is a
manual override, otherwise you will have to jumper the thermostats to
open the valves (or setting them to highest temperature may work too).

HTH,

Paul

Draining down a HW system with back boiler Tim Downie[_3_] UK diy 4 October 27th 11 05:58 PM
CH system draining. Matthew UK diy 1 November 22nd 05 12:16 PM
draining combi boiler heating system Tim Smith UK diy 4 March 13th 05 10:14 PM
draining down combi boiler system then refilling mark al UK diy 1 January 5th 04 02:53 PM
draining down combi boiler system then refilling mark al UK diy 0 January 5th 04 02:20 PM