Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Draining boiler system

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 10:04:06 -0400, "Meanie" wrote:

My house has a radiant heating boiler system which I will be removing. I am
beginning to drain the system and disassemble the unit. Since this is a
continuous system with three zones, there are no release valves anywhere
throughout the piping. Therefore, I wanted to ensure the proper method for
draining.

On the side of the boiler is a spigot which I know is the main draining
point. Though, I question the spigots located on three separate pipes, which
I assume is for each zone. Do I need to drain from them as well? Due to
suction/pressure in the system, I would think there may still be water even
after I drain the main spigot. Therefore, it appears logical to also drain
from the other three spigots.

Drain the boiler, drain each zone. There may still be some residual
left depending on how the tubing is laid out with low spots.

It may or may not matter how well it is drained, depending on what you
are replacing it with.